I think I scared the Jehovah's Witnesses...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I have something along the lines of nudity myself. I hope I don't offend anyone but this is a true story.

But, one day, my girlfriend is uh, "servicing" me before the initial act in my apartment. Knock on the door. I'm thinking, "WTF!?!" My girlfriend runs to the door in her birthday suit, checks the peephole and it's two Baptist missionaries or something. You know the ones that show up and want you to go their church and ask, "If you were to die today, are you sure would go to heaven." My GF doesn't open the door but comes back and says who it is.

It was two girls, maybe between the ages of 21-25. I am irritated, so I go open the door while at "attention". I thought they were going to **** themselves.

One started to smile, the other looked very irritated, and said, "We'll come back later sir." I just said, "I hope so." and shut the door.

I don't know why the one was so irritated, maybe I need to work out or don't have much to smile about. Either way, my girlfriend said that will be the only time she allow me to show my "junk" to some other girl.:dunno:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    lmao...i am considered an idol worshiper because i wear a cross around my neck!

as for the flag issue,i found this on their webpage:

Nationalism

Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to salute the flag of any nation, recite the pledge of allegiance, stand for or sing the national anthem, run for public office, vote, or serve in the armed forces.

So if they don't want to pledge allegiance or serve their country in any way, I think they should find another country.

the witnesses and the mormons do that round here and will not let you get a word in edgewise while they are speading their word, so that is a pretty efficiant way to rid yourself of the annoyance.

I had a couple of young Mormon men show up at my door awhile back. We had a discussion and I was doing most of the talking. We talked a good 2 hours and I let them go as it got dark outside. They left knowing where I stood and they were nice enough to leave me a Book of Mormon. I don't think they had ever run into someone quite like me before. Not saying they never met another Agnostic, but maybe not one who would spend the time to discuss Religion.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the thing is mormons have enough respect for you to leave it at that and not try to come back and start all over again, JW's have no respect for you because you are not a JW and as such evil. the funny thing is most JW's don't know a lick about the bible and what it teaches. they only know what they are told as independent study and thought other than what the "society" tells you to do is a no no and punishable by ex-communication even though they did nothing but have the desire to find the answeres for themselves. the religion is very much like stalins secret police force, you are encouraged to snitch on others for for the tiniest thing, thought, or action not authorized by the higher ups. and if found guilty by a "judicial committee"(which really depends if you are in the club as to whether it is favorable or not) your entire life as you know it is turned upside down because everyone that you know and love will turn there back on you and shun you, even your own parents! :ranton:
    but while coming up with fun ways to get them to leave is a fun past time, it's not fool proof and most likely will not be passed on to other JW's when they come to your hood. a fool proof way to get them to leave and never come back is to just tell them your an "apostate"(I.E. the right hand of satan in the JW world) they will make a prompt retreat and never come back.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So if they don't want to pledge allegiance or serve their country in any way, I think they should find another country.

It sounds like you think state (government) worship should be a prerequisite for citizenship, or even residency.

I am surprised to find such a sentiment on a board loosely dedicated to one of the foundational tenets of liberty.

Or, maybe this was merely a tongue-in-cheek statement meant to illustrate nationalism, which was the subject of your earlier-quoted text.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    With all the negativity about JWs in this thread, I have to say I have neighbors who are JWs and they are absolutely the nicest and most decent people I have ever had living next door to me.

The Savior said that the greatest commandment is to love thy God, and like unto it is to love thy neighbor as thyself. If other kinds of Christians followed this rule to the extent my neighbors do, the world would be a lot better place than it is.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    [/size][/font]

It sounds like you think state (government) worship should be a prerequisite for citizenship, or even residency.

I am surprised to find such a sentiment on a board loosely dedicated to one of the foundational tenets of liberty.

Or, maybe this was merely a tongue-in-cheek statement meant to illustrate nationalism, which was the subject of your earlier-quoted text.

I wonder if they are allowed to take government handouts? I know some Amish do, not sure about how it is as a community though. If you take from the Government you are in essence acknowledging it. If you then refuse to contribute then I have a problem with that.

Seeing how I haven't yet made it through the Book of Mormon, I have not yet studied Jehovah Witnesses. The rules in which they live by, are they truly religious, based on the Bible or whatever other text they follow, or is it some council decided they needed to live this way?

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    works everytime ,answered one time wearing my 1911 & shoulder holster,they did an about face & didnt even give me a pamphlet.........so am I going to hell????

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    They really think they're going to convert people while doing things that offend them... that's what I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Taking down flags has absolutely nothing to do with Jehova's Witness, if it happened at all, it was just one out of thousands acting of his or her own accord. No different than smearing all gun owners based on the acts of one.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have something along the lines of nudity myself. I hope I don't offend anyone but this is a true story.

But, one day, my girlfriend is uh, "servicing" me before the initial act in my apartment. Knock on the door. I'm thinking, "WTF!?!" My girlfriend runs to the door in her birthday suit, checks the peephole and it's two Baptist missionaries or something. You know the ones that show up and want you to go their church and ask, "If you were to die today, are you sure would go to heaven." My GF doesn't open the door but comes back and says who it is.

It was two girls, maybe between the ages of 21-25. I am irritated, so I go open the door while at "attention". I thought they were going to **** themselves.

One started to smile, the other looked very irritated, and said, "We'll come back later sir." I just said, "I hope so." and shut the door.

I don't know why the one was so irritated, maybe I need to work out or don't have much to smile about. Either way, my girlfriend said that will be the only time she allow me to show my "junk" to some other girl.:dunno:

How would you like some pervert answering the door that way when your mother or sister looking for your new address?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I believe the flag has a similar meaning to them as the cross around your neck. They view them both as symbolic and are forbidden to show any kind of prayer, anthem, pledge, etc., to anything other than "Jahovah". They aren't allowed to celebrate birthdays, christmas, or any other holiday for that matter.

They are "allowed" to do any thing any other american is allowed to do.

That they CHOOSE not to do many of the things they are as ALLOWED to do as any other american because of the their strength of their own will, principle and sense of honor is something I admire rather than ridicule. Just my perspective of them.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I know a thing or two about them(have some in family) and you sir just ensured that they will NEVER return:smileak::laugh:

I actually invite them in, after an hour of me proving that the watchtower Bible has been corrupted and the founder proven charlatan, for some reason they never return either...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They are "allowed" to do any thing any other american is allowed to do.

That they CHOOSE not to do many of the things they are as ALLOWED to do as any other american because of the their strength of their own will, principle and sense of honor is something I admire rather than ridicule. Just my perspective of them.

Jack, I think she meant that they are not allowed by their church to do those things... Much as a 14 year old is legally permitted to cross the street alone, but may not be allowed to do so by his/her parents.

As for the JWs, I neither admire nor ridicule them... They have their views and are welcome to them, but personally, I don't want to hear about them.... so we got a doormat:

We love our vacuum
    We found God
    and we gave at the office.​

Thanks.​
    If that's not sufficient, I'll tell them to leave and back that instruction up as needed. Hopefully, closing the door will be enough. If not, I suppose opening it would work, too... "JWs, meet my dogs. Dogs, meet 'lunch'." :D

Blessings,
    Bill

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    With all the negativity about JWs in this thread, I have to say I have neighbors who are JWs and they are absolutely the nicest and most decent people I have ever had living next door to me.

The Savior said that the greatest commandment is to love thy God, and like unto it is to love thy neighbor as thyself. If other kinds of Christians followed this rule to the extent my neighbors do, the world would be a lot better place than it is.

they/some ARE nice and with a big smile on their face why their telling you you are going to die because your not one of them. and I'm sure the branch dividians and heavens gate were also extremely pleasant. my mom is a nice person but she is in a cult. let them know how you feel about their religion and I guarantee there will be an about face on how they treat you.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I respect anyone who has a strong enough faith to put up with the responses they get when the go door to door out of faith.

At the same time I wish people did not feel the religious need to think that they only road to salvation is their own. I understand it completely, but at the same time wish it did not have to be that way.

As for JW, I have a friend whose family only survived the concentration camps because the JW snuck them food through the fence. They risked their lives for strangers out of faith and for that I will not ridicule a JW so long as I live.

As for door signs, ours reads:

NO SOLICITORS

• We don't buy from, donate to, or hire door-to-door sales people. Ever.
    • We already have a religion.
    • Have a nice day. Elsewhere.

It works wonders.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    they/some ARE nice and with a big smile on their face why their telling you you are going to die because your not one of them. and I'm sure the branch dividians and heavens gate were also extremely pleasant. my mom is a nice person but she is in a cult. let them know how you feel about their religion and I guarantee there will be an about face on how they treat you.

I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you and your mom. That's rough.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    lmao...i am considered an idol worshiper because i wear a cross around my neck!

as for the flag issue,i found this on their webpage:

Nationalism
    Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to salute the flag of any nation, recite the pledge of allegiance, stand for or sing the national anthem, run for public office, vote, or serve in the armed forces.

Cool, that pretty much makes them subjects! I'll need someone to do my bidding when everything goes to hell. Where's their local church at again?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    the thing is mormons have enough respect for you to leave it at that and not try to come back and start all over again, JW's have no respect for you because you are not a JW and as such evil. the funny thing is most JW's don't know a lick about the bible and what it teaches. they only know what they are told as independent study and thought other than what the "society" tells you to do is a no no and punishable by ex-communication even though they did nothing but have the desire to find the answeres for themselves. the religion is very much like stalins secret police force, you are encouraged to snitch on others for for the tiniest thing, thought, or action not authorized by the higher ups. and if found guilty by a "judicial committee"(which really depends if you are in the club as to whether it is favorable or not) your entire life as you know it is turned upside down because everyone that you know and love will turn there back on you and shun you, even your own parents! :ranton:
    but while coming up with fun ways to get them to leave is a fun past time, it's not fool proof and most likely will not be passed on to other JW's when they come to your hood. a fool proof way to get them to leave and never come back is to just tell them your an "apostate"(I.E. the right hand of satan in the JW world) they will make a prompt retreat and never come back.

They WILL come back time and time again, especially if you debate with them and they can't answer your questions :cool:

When I was a teenager I had a group of them come to my house. They made their case, I asked if I could see one of THEIR Bibles, and pointed out some verses that seemed to contradict some of the things they were saying. They were flustered and left. The next weekend one of them came back, but with a couple different people. I debated them again. They left again. The NEXT week they brought back an Elder, lol.

He didn't get very flustered, but rather tried to side step my points. Particularly when I pointed out that the Bible, even THEIR version of it, says that anyone who prophesies and it does not come true, is NOT a true Prophet. (like the MANY times their leaders have predicted the end of the world, and given a date for it.)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington

Maybe it's just me, but why answer the door to begin with? Short attention span? :dunno:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Personal experiences...

The LDS (Mormon) missionaries have always been uber-polite, respectful and intelligent kids. I believe all males MUST go on mission for one or two years, making their way with money they've saved on their own. They seem to strongly emphasize family and self-reliance. Preppers in every sense of the word. Do I subscribe to their religion? Hmmmph, nope. I've several friends, past coworkers and one ex (much to her Elder father's chagrin) ;) who were mainstream LDS. My personal thoughts of their founder and some of their actions in Utah are less than complimentary. Still, the Church seems to grow an unusually high-percentage of very self-reliant, intelligent, independent people. I respect it even though I don't subscribe.

The JWs who have come to the door? Gave me the willies big-time. Overly pushy adults who've been at this a long, long time. It's hard for me not to view them in the same light as the methhead asking for some change in a dark alley. Harsh? Maybe. Still my opinion. Scientologists fall into the same group for me.

Try living in the Deep South for a few years. Door-to-door peddlers of religion are not just the LDS and JWs. I'm good with a short, respectful invitation to attend someone's church and field any questions I might have. I appreciate it. However, I'm not even a little interested in the extremely pushy, incredibly intrusive, interrogating door-to-door evangelists of the southern States. Heck, door-to-door? How about aisle-to-aisle in the grocery store? They get themselves worked up in anxiety over coming to "witness" then are virtually screaming at you. I've seen 'em reduce young women to tears.

I'm okay with respectful sharing of thoughts or ideas. Religion or otherwise. Strong arm tactics and zero/one ultimatums will yield a less than respectful response from me in return.** Call it growing up as the son of a single Mom (divorced because my father, who I've reconciled with years later, left for a younger woman) - and watching deeply fundamental money-hungry Southern... we'll call 'em evangelists... slander a divorced Mother as somewhat less-than-worthy. You want to talk "fighting words?" Still a knee jerk to this day for me when someone uses the right catch-phrases. Some have even seen it out of me on this forum.

I have a daughter of my own now. She will NOT be raised in the Deep South.

Negative experiences affect each of us differently... my brother is a 46 year old deacon in an evangelical Southern Baptist Church in Pensacola. Spends much of his time doing rehab work with recovering homeless alcohol/drug abusers. I respect his conviction and he does NOT exemplify those I remember.

If I share any more, I'll need to go on the Dr Phil show. I'm out. :)

** I recall something in print. To the effect: you have two ways to induce me to comply with your wishes. Respectful, persuasive reasoning or force. This applies to nearly all interactions. I legally carry a gun, thus negating your options to only one - persuasive reasoning.

Top Bottom