• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so ill be the first to admit i have gotten lazy/trusting buying stuff on the internet. when i bought the first thing from a gun classifieds section i was 100% sure to cover my ass in every way possible. ive had so many deal go smooth as silk that i started saving a buck and now even tracking the mo for a extra dollar at the post office. well i guess it was bound to happen and i think i finally got bit. i sent a mo to iowa to a man on 7-7 and he is saying he did not get it yet. i called the po and you cant cancel a mo for 30 days after the purchase. its not a huge amount of money but its more the point than anything. and there is that possibility that he is telling the truth and did not recieve the mo. but he could have recieved it and cashed it and i would not know.

so here is my delema. do i send him a new mo and possibably get stuck again or cut my losses. what do you folks think. all and all its 100% my fault for not covering my ass atleast with tracking but ive delt with gun folks so much in the last few years and never had the smallest complaint outside of a extra day or 2 shipping.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Tough situation there. Within the last month I had TWO payment stolen from the mail. One was cash and the other was a MO. I made sure to conceal both, and they came up missing within close proximity to eachother. What I find interesting is that I mailed two cash payments at the same time and one (the larger) was taken. A little understanding goes a long way---I would contact him and ask if he would allow you to pay by personal check. Then you could track when/where it was cashed. If you do not care for that idea, I would keep in close communication with the other person and let them know you are sending another MO while you get everything sorted out, and put a tracker on it.

I hope you get it straightened out. It's because of situations like these that I refuse to mail anything of value throught the USPS.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    If you have the MO#, you can see if it was cashed and where. It is possible it was delivered to the wrong address or under a machine @ the PO.

Good luck

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Tough situation there. Within the last month I had TWO payment stolen from the mail. One was cash and the other was a MO. I made sure to conceal both, and they came up missing within close proximity to eachother. What I find interesting is that I mailed two cash payments at the same time and one (the larger) was taken. A little understanding goes a long way---I would contact him and ask if he would allow you to pay by personal check. Then you could track when/where it was cashed. If you do not care for that idea, I would keep in close communication with the other person and let them know you are sending another MO while you get everything sorted out, and put a tracker on it.

I hope you get it straightened out. It's because of situations like these that I refuse to mail anything of value throught the USPS.

Never send cash, it is not traceable. I always use a Postal MO, they can tell you when and where it was cashed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you have the MO#, you can see if it was cashed and where. It is possible it was delivered to the wrong address or under a machine @ the PO.

Good luck

thats my problem. i have no reason to doubt this guy, but i also have no reason to trust him either. i have the reciet from the mo but the post office said i cant see if its been cashed for 1 month after the purchase date.

fyi this is not a deal from ingo if anyone is wondering

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i might try the personal cheak but if the guy did screw me the first time and he cashes the check and does not send the item im going to go in to hyper pissed mode. problem is there is no way of knowing if i got screwed or its under a machine at the postoffice

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Never send cash, it is not traceable. I always use a Postal MO, they can tell you when and where it was cashed.

I know. I was under a time constraint and due to work had no time to go get a money order.

i might try the personal cheak but if the guy did screw me the first time and he cashes the check and does not send the item im going to go in to hyper pissed mode. problem is there is no way of knowing if i got screwed or its under a machine at the postoffice

Well, if he cashes the check and does not deliver, you can discuss it with your bank and see if there is any recourse. Every bank is different. :twocents:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I never tell anyone what I think they should do, I will tell you what I would do in this situation, and this will also tell you if the guy is on the up & up too.

I would get him on the phone so I could hear him, tell him you will gladly email him a scanned copy of the money order you sent, then ask him if he would be willing to hold the item until the money order is located or the 30 days is up.

How he responds would mean whether I cut my loses and moved on or what my next move would be.

I have been VERY lucky too dealing with gun folks from TX to Washington state, but you just never know,

But when all else fails, I like to listen to someone's voice and demeanor on the phone and then just follow my gut.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i got ripped off by eric collins of brownsburg.i cut my losses till i see him again.i go by and visit now and again.its best i dont see him in his yard or anywhere,good luck

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I never tell anyone what I think they should do, I will tell you what I would do in this situation, and this will also tell you if the guy is on the up & up too.

I would get him on the phone so I could hear him, tell him you will gladly email him a scanned copy of the money order you sent, then ask him if he would be willing to hold the item until the money order is located or the 30 days is up.

How he responds would mean whether I cut my loses and moved on or what my next move would be.

I have been VERY lucky too dealing with gun folks from TX to Washington state, but you just never know,

But when all else fails, I like to listen to someone's voice and demeanor on the phone and then just follow my gut.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

This is pretty much what I was thinking I would do as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the guy has over 500 posts on a certain web site. not that posts mean anything but it means you spend some time there and i would not think he would want his reputation ruined over a small amount of money. if it turns out i did/do get screwed he will not sell anything on that site again under the same user name. ill track his posts and run every add he does into the ground.

im betting im over reacting ot a simple mistake but ive learned my lesson. ups tracking is the worst tracking ive evr seen but id sure give a dollor for it now

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I vote with the phone idea. To a reasonable person, this would be the logical way to handle the situation. His response and demeanor will tell you everything you need to know.

if i can get him to return my message thats what ill do. if somone wants to sell/buy on the internet good internet etiquette dictates that you check your email a min of once a day preferabably more. if you cant do that buy/sell to wholesalers

Don't like Paypal?

i dont have a paypal account. ive never had anyreason to get one till now. i still wont get a paypal account for a few reasons. one being there anti gun views, and 2 when i sell somthing i want money now, not when they decide to release funds. i know its hard to trust somone you have never met but ive never had any bad feedback on any of the forums im on or ebay so if i sell the buyer will have to trust me or pick it up in person

Top Bottom