• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on a great restoration. I recently picked up a 1944 Colt frame with a Remington slide and am considering doing a restoration. Like yours, mine is a mix-n-match of parts so doing a restoration would not hurt the values any, if at all. These are really wonderful old guns and I hope to add one that is the vintage yours is one day. Thanks for sharing the results. Good job on it.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    depends. Looks good. The main issue could be the MSH, I don't recall but they may or may not have issued them with the rounded/non-lanyard MSH. Also, the hammer is often another overlooked area.

Colt Pistols and Revolvers for Firearms Collectors - Model of 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP Collector's Informtion

Yours looks fantastic for a resurrection piece though.

The hammer is the wide, fully checkered spur. The slide catch is fully checkered as well.

I am pretty sure that the MSH with lanyard loop is correct, but I thought the magazine was supposed to have a lanyard loop as well. I have seen the prices that people ask for those, and I am not shelling it out. I pretty muched lucked into the two-tone magazine that I do have with it.

Either way, I have not been able to find much info on when they stopped putting the lanyard loop on the mags. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it. Thanks again

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I promised to post a picture of the case-hardening that I did to the other 1911, so here it is.

1911casehardened.jpg

I also did all of the small pins and barrel bushing, but it is hard to show in a picture. I definitely like the look, and you don't see it very often on a 1911.

Thank you to everyone else who had such nice things to say about my restoration job. I am still interested in knowing if my magazine should have a lanyard loop to be period correct on a 1915 U.S. Army.

Please let me know if you do. Thanks

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Colt M 1911 Magazines

they were issued until 1915, or so I have read. This is the first posting I found to confirm it. Yours may make it authentic, or not. Doesn't matter. Looks spot on, and the coloration in the pic above (case hardening?) rainbow coloration, looks awesome. :)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The star of my collection a 95% 1911, made in 1915, buried at the bottom of the safe, gets an oily wipe down once a year and thats it. Has an original 1918 GI instruction book inside its case. Was sent to Harpers Ferry Arsenal originaly then to the Army out west where it first saw duty on our southern border in 1916, it has three slight angle file (^) cuts on its frame at the bottom of the mag well, one for each Mexican it killed.

Top Bottom