I need to start Carrying a Spare Magazine...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Best rule to follow. I'll put it in caps so everyone understands how important this rule is.

BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Nuff said.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    :hijack:

Putting aside the argument of whether to carry an extra or not...

When I do carry an extra mag, I find that in jeans I actually prefer to carry it in my weakside back pocket. It rests nicely at the bottom of the pocket, and stays far enough forward when I sit that it's not in the way. It's also terribly convenient for reloading, as you just reach back and grab it with your off hand when you want to reload.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Best rule to follow. I'll put it in caps so everyone understands how important this rule is.

BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Nuff said.

Is that why you wear full body armor, travel in an armored car, have a personal body guard squad with you at all times, live in a bunker and carry a level 3 trauma kit wherever you go?

We all have do draw the line somewhere as to how far we are willing to go with any situation.

You stopped short of the armored car and body guard detail...you must think that it's unnecessary or something?

Same way some of us feel about extra magazines...odds are we'll never need em on the streets. To each his own.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is that why you wear full body armor, travel in an armored car, have a personal body guard squad with you at all times, live in a bunker and carry a level 3 trauma kit wherever you go?

We all have do draw the line somewhere as to how far we are willing to go with any situation.

You stopped short of the armored car and body guard detail...you must think that it's unnecessary or something?

Same way some of us feel about extra magazines...odds are we'll never need em on the streets. To each his own.

If I could afford it, then yes. Yes I would :ar15:

ega

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    chances are

Chances are I'll never need my seatbelt,airbag,GFI outlet's,safety glasses, but in the split second I do they sure are nice to have.Just like my spare mag!!!!!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There's a reason why people put lightning rods on their homes. Chances are they will never get hit by lightning, but better safe than sorry. Again, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. One mag and pouch is not that heavy and hard to hide anyway.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Street rig, but with trigger work allowed, like lightened striker springs (light primer strikes) and so on and so forth. reloads are still allowed, so anyone using a tight chamber without a factory crimp die is more likely see failures to extract and such, minor power factor is all powder puff stuff. Even the bare minimum PF for major is pretty light.

I'm not saying "don't carry a spare." I'm saying that one NEEDS to carry a spare about as much as they need to carry a lightning rod. Yes, you may be that 1 in a million that does need it, and you may be that 1 in 700,000 that gets struck by lightning too. If it makes you feel better to be ready for that super-remote possibility, more power to you. People like to buy lottery ticket with even slimmer odds and there's not a darn thing wrong with it.

My thought is, if I don't need to carry things for all the other 1:x00,000 chance bad things that could happen, no need for me to do it for this scenario either. If one is going to all worked about something like that, there are lot of things more likely to happen that we choose to ignore.

You are still using fabricated numbers as evidence. In fact, you are basing your entire argument on fabricated numbers. It doesn't take much exposure to competition, training classes and range time to see malfunctions aren't that rare. I've personally had a magazine base pad pop off the bottom instantly turn my gun into a single shot. If that were to happen in a self defense situation I would be sunk without a spare mag.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If I could afford it, then yes. Yes I would :ar15:
    Well, I know you can afford a metal army helmet from the army surplus store...do you wear one of those? Or did you find out that it schrunched your tinfoil hat :)

You could easily make some home-made metal plate armor that you could affix inside your jacket...it would work well and be cheap....but you arent' willing to lug that around all day.

It isn't a question of what you can afford, necessarily. It is about what you are willing to carry and prepare for...it's all about playing the odds, and we all draw the line differently.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, I know you can afford a metal army helmet from the army surplus store...do you wear one of those? Or did you find out that it schrunched your tinfoil hat :)

You could easily make some home-made metal plate armor that you could affix inside your jacket...it would work well and be cheap....but you arent' willing to lug that around all day.

It isn't a question of what you can afford, necessarily. It is about what you are willing to carry and prepare for...it's all about playing the odds, and we all draw the line differently.

Ok, what your saying is true. Driving an armored vehicle, carrying metal plate armor, that's going overboard. But we're talking about a spare mag. Some respectable people on here carrying lots of other things. Rhino carries like 5 small flashlights and what, 4 knives. He had a list on here, he's loaded down. Why does he do that? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Lars carries 2 knives, and they aren't small pocket knives either. Why? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Why even carry a gun at all? Chances are you will never have to pull it out on someone in your entire life. Why? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it and because you CAN. Why carry an extra mag? Because you'll be carrying a pistol. What happens when the one in your weapon malfunctions? You just have a paper weight that looks like a gun. Most of the people on here carry at least 1 extra mag, others carry a speed loader. If you don't want to, thats fine and dandy. But if you want to be prepared, one mag isn't going to load you down, you can hide it just as easy as you can hide a gun, flashlight or/and a knive.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

Hmmmmm....spare mags being compared to armored vehicles and body armor??? :bash: :scratch:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Ok, what your saying is true. Driving an armored vehicle, carrying metal plate armor, that's going overboard. But we're talking about a spare mag. Some respectable people on here carrying lots of other things. Rhino carries like 5 small flashlights and what, 4 knives. He had a list on here, he's loaded down. Why does he do that? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Lars carries 2 knives, and they aren't small pocket knives either. Why? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Why even carry a gun at all? Chances are you will never have to pull it out on someone in your entire life. Why? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it and because you CAN. Why carry an extra mag? Because you'll be carrying a pistol. What happens when the one in your weapon malfunctions? You just have a paper weight that looks like a gun. Most of the people on here carry at least 1 extra mag, others carry a speed loader. If you don't want to, thats fine and dandy. But if you want to be prepared, one mag isn't going to load you down, you can hide it just as easy as you can hide a gun, flashlight or/and a knive.

And that's fine. I could easily think of dozens of things that you could tote around in a small backpack that would be very handy to have (toilet paper, food, utencils, bandages, alcohol, tape, glue, toothpick, fishing line, hooks, knifes, batteries, lights, bullets, safety blanket, road flares, yada, yada, yada). Yet some of us draw the line short of it because we don't feel that we really need to go through the extra hassle(varies by perception) of hauling it around. Like I said, we all draw the lines differently based on what we perceive the odds are needing it vs the extra pain it is to carry/conceal daily.

Don't knock someone else because they don't carry an extra mag...they have already make the decision to carry a gun that is reliable. That extra little comfort of what if I need more than 13 rounds, or what if I have a failure that a tap and rack won't fix, just isn't worth the extra hassle for many of us. We are loaded down with other stuff already.

For me: leatherman, SD knife, small flashlight, keys, wallet, gun. That's plenty, for me. You may feel better with an extra mag...some other guy carries 2 guns and 2 extra mags...so what.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Threadjack aside, a good place to carry a spare mag when you can't carry/don't want to carry/don't yet have a mag pouch is in your non-wallet back pocket with a bandana folded next to it to keep it upright and easy to grab. Before I got my G17 I carried a revolver, and carried speed strips in a front pocket, but after getting a bottom feeder I had to order a mag pouch and the back pocket method got me through while I waited on my mag pouch to ship. Hopefully sooner than later I will be receiving my Raven double mag pouch and my new Raven holster in the mail. How do you like that you spare mag haters?:p

Top Bottom