I need to start Carrying a Spare Magazine...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    So, here is the deal. I'm one of those guy who carries a gun but no spare mag. I have noticed it as the next weakness I want to knock out of my carry system.

Now, here is my problems:
    1. I'm a concealed type of person. I carry a CBST and they no longer make IWB mag carriers.
    2. The only pocket I have free is my rear weak side pocket. I always wear jeans.

So, I need recommendations and preferably pictures of your concealed mag rigs is they are in pocket or IWB.

Thank you for your time my :ingo: brothers.

P.S. I have been looking at raven concealment for my butt pocket but are they confortable to sit on, does that mag show outside the top of the pocket. Do they bend with the body? Can you fit 2 mags in 1 rear jean pocket?

Edited for details: I have been looking at a phantom double or single for a double stack XD40 mag.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Im just doing good if I have my Glock. Odds are extremly low that I would ever fire more than 2 or three rounds. If I do, I have 10 more in the mag. I dont worry about it too much. I choose my targets wisely.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i made my own to go in my weak side rear pocket out of thin leather and some embroidery thread. its not super pretty and relatively comfy. i carry one single stack for my 1911 and it fits fine. as most people do, i wear my jeans a size large so i have plenty of room to sit and bend. otherwise, i carried a spare in my weak side front pocket for a while. the only problem i see is the double stack mag is might feel a little heavy but nothing i don't think you could deal with. good luck!!!!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I too have been thinking about the spare mag thing and was watching something the other day or reading, can't remember, that another way to look at carrying a spare mag is maybe not more shots but the ability to reload quickly if some sort of malfunction occurs such as a double feed where you have to drop the mag in the weapon.

I recently ordered holsters and pouches for my carry gun from, Raven as well and plan on carrying an extra mag. When I carry my LCP I do carry and extra mag.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If your wanting a IWB mag holster, go to a police supplier and get one for OWB and just turn it around. In Indy at 21st and Arlington Steven R Jenkins carries them, that's where I bought mine, however I don't conceal it.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I carry a double mag ankle holster. It conceals very well. If you're looking for absolute speed, the ankle one isn't for you, unless you do some serious training. But if you think you have the chance to take cover, you could reload easily. It's really comfortable too, I hardly notice it's there.

DeSantis Neoprene Ankle Double Magazine Pouch NOW AVAILABLE!

Once you learn the ninja kick mag removal technique, it is faster than you think. :D

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    You could try switching from jeans to cargo pants. They allow a lot more room for gear. I drop a spare mag in the bellows pocket on the left thigh. Otherwise, this time of year it goes in my left hand jacket pocket.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    You might try some of the custom holster makers. Might be a bit more expensive and have a wait time, but they can make you pretty much anything you want.

ega

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    fobus mag holder

I have a fobus paddle, mag and light holder it works great.I wear it everyday it was made for a glock 40. mag I had to modify it to work with my xd-45 mags- but over all works good and around 20 bucks

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Some good tips on carrying a spare mag.

My thought is that the percentages just don't require it.

Chance that I'll ever have draw my weapon = 1 in 1000.
    Chance that I'll ever have to fire my weapon = 1 in 10 instances of having to draw
    Chance that I'll have to expend more than 17rds = 1 in 100 instances of having to fire OR
    Chance that my carry piece will have a malfunction = 1 in 1000 instances of having to fire (1 failure in a 1000 rounds, a pretty conservative estimate, really considering that a not all failure require a mag change, just tap rack bang)

So we're looking at about a literally 1 in a million chance of having to fire more than 17rds, and 1 in 10 million of having a malfunction.

If that kind of probability requires that I carry another mag, I should also start carrying a lightning rod. Chances of being struck by lightning are estimated something along the lines of 1:700,000.

Top Bottom