• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I recently purchased a mossberg 500 with a 28" vented barrel with a modified choke. I want to make the barrel 20" but I'm worried about the costs. Would it be cheaper to have the barrel cut down to 20" and have it re drilled to put the choke back in it or should I get a new barrel? If I dont, would it be cheaper to trade this barrel to a shorter one? I'd prefer a smooth ore barrel, so perhaps a 20" smooth bore sug barrel?
    i also want this to be a compromise between a home defense shotgun and one I can take hunting/leave in my truck. Would the 20" be that compromise or should I go down to legal minimum/riot size? Finally, will using rifled slugs hurt my modified choke or kill my accuracy? I'd like to use slugs and shot through it since i want it for home defense and a truck gun for the farm. This gun was inexpensive for me to buy and I have a remington with a 28" and 20" barrel so this mossberg is just a project mostly. I just need to know what'd save me the most money really.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Buy a 20" barrel. They are in the neighborhood of $100, and you'll still have your field barrel to swap it with.

Slugs wont hurt your modified tube.

Edit: I own multiple 500s and that is my exact setup... 28" field barrel for things in the air (tree rats, clays, etc), Cantilever scoped rifled barrel for big things with 4 legs, and a short (20"?) smooth bore with rifle sights for things with two legs that shouldnt be in my house. :laugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom