• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am tired of not being able to post pictures. I need a camera. I have a Dell desktop computer with a couple of USB ports. I want a decent quality digital camera that I can slip the card out of and into my computer for immediate upload. I can spend about $200 give or take. Can anyone recommend a make and/or model? Thanks.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Canon has a few in that price range and all their cameras do a bang up job. You wouldn't be disappointed. Amazon has some good pricing on them, too. My daughter bought a nice one for about 180 (with an extended warranty. A must for things that are dropped as often as these are). Hard to go wrong with any Canon camera.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We've had a Panasonic model for the last 7-8 years. My current one was purchase in April 2009 and is still going strong. We'd probably still have the last one if Mr88GT didn't insist on treating it like it was a tool and dropping it in the tool bucket to take it from one place to another. They're simple to use, but have a lot of features. Way more than we actually use, in point of fact.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Samsung L200 or the newer version. Bought mine in 2008/9 for $130 and pic quality/resolution is crazy! You can find them on ebay for alot less now. 10.2MP ! The camera is a little bit thicker than a deck of cards. You can use the power cord to hook up via usb to your computer and your computer treats the camera(memory card) as a hard drive. No need for any fanxy smancy software to learn. Drag and drop! Its that easy. You'll thank me!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Go with the blue one, It matches your eyes. :)

Edit: I need to start reading the whole post before answering.

Canon - I bought a Canon PowerShot S2 IS years ago for the same reason as you. It's big just like the old 35mm cameras. I didn't want a small throw-a-way digital camera that everyone else buys. Mine is a work horse with a lens that I can actually take off and change out just like the old Pentax that I'm familiar with.

I'm sure my model has been replaced 10 times over by now but Canon is still top dog in Digital Technology with a plethora of choices out there. I'm sure they have just the size model for your needs as well.

If not - then I stand by my first answer.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Go with the blue one, It matches your eyes. :)

Edit: I need to start reading the whole post before answering.

Canon - I bought a Canon PowerShot S2 IS years ago for the same reason as you. It's big just like the old 35mm cameras. I didn't want a small throw-a-way digital camera that everyone else buys. Mine is a work horse with a lens that I can actually take off and change out just like the old Pentax that I'm familiar with.

I'm sure my model has been replaced 10 times over by now but Canon is still top dog in Digital Technology with a plethora of choices out there. I'm sure they have just the size model for your needs as well.

If not - then I stand by my first answer.
    +1 for using the word plethora in a gun forum.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You might give pawn shops a try. They usually have pretty good deals. My wife and I picked one up at a pawn shop while on vacation for around 50 bucks including a memory card. The only bad thing was the card still had pics from whoever pawned it. Lets just say what might be sexy pics to one person might make another sick.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    We bought a Sony DSC-WX9 from Best Buy just over a year ago and love it. It's a simple $200 point and shoot camera with 1081 HD video. This thing is amazing! So much so that we rarely use our high end DSL camera anymore. To tell the truth, if we'd have bought this first I don't think I would have bought the DSL camera. Good luck in your search.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My cell phone is old and the camera sucks. I want to take some quality pictures.

I have found that since my last three cell phones have had descent cameras I hardly ever use a real camera any more. I almost always have my cell with me so I can take pics almost anywhere. I can either download directly to the internet or take the card out depending what I want to do with the pics. So it is convenient for me. It also means I don't have to make sure the rechargeable batteries are charged.

I do have to agree that a real camera does take better close up pics.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm a fan of the Cannon Power shot cameras. I've purchased 3 of them and use them for home and for work.

They take excellent pics, have great video and to many options to list. Great battery life too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a Nikon D90, but that's for serious stuff. Been considering a point-and-shoot for more fun stuff. Everybody has them now, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc etc. You can't go too far wrong with any of them, just make sure you get the features you need, like the SD card, but I think that's pretty standard these days. You'll probably be in the $120-200 range for something that'll absolutely blow your mind. Download GIMP (for free) (this is like Photoshop) and you'll be a 21st century technocrat that would make someone from the 90s drool like a baby.

Top Bottom