• ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sorry no pics!

Now that you've had time to get a grip on yourself.

Wasn't sure if this was a gear question, a carry questions or a tactic and training questioneeds so mods feel free to move, not that you need MY permission.

I wear a cross breed IWB super tuck. When I get dressed, I pick up the gun in its holster. I flip the safety on. I remove the gun from the holster pointed towards an exterior wall. I hook the super tuck in, zipper and belt the pants. I reholster the pistol then flip the safety off.

When I undress, I flip the safety on. I remove the gun from the holster, after removing the holster and place the pistol in the holster. Then I place the gun it's resting place and flip the safety off.

Any thoughts on if there is a safer way to do this?

It's a routine I developed myself and so never exposed it for a critique.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I wear mine, that's pretty much the same way I do it. Except I carry a 1911 and I leave the safety on all the time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am not familiar with that holster, but is there a reason you unholster/reholster the pistol? Does the holster cover 90%+ of the trigger guard?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    It's just a lot easier to clip a supertuck into your belt if it's empty. I suspect that's his reason.

That said, my only critique would be that if my pistol had a safety, I would leave it on, and do a little range training to (slowly ) draw, present, and then flip safety off to develop muscle memory.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I never unholster my gun to get dressed. Just take the whole package and shove it down my pants and clip it in. I use an Incog holster with two clips so its similar, should be able to do the same with yours.

Also, what do you carry that you leave the safety off when holstered? I figured that guns with safeties should be carried with them on but I carry a Glock so my safety is always on.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Without seeing your pistol or holster, that seems like too much safety flipping and holster work.

Holesters cover the trigger, most pistols are drop safe, leave it in the holster.

Plus, you forget to disengage your safety at the end you now have a potential for a loudest sound in the world situation when you try to defend yourself.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's just a lot easier to clip a supertuck into your belt if it's empty. I suspect that's his reason.

That said, my only critique would be that if my pistol had a safety, I would leave it on, and do a little range training to (slowly ) draw, present, and then flip safety off to develop muscle memory.

Yep.. I don't understand the on, off,on, off with the safety.. I would just leave the safety on..

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I think always flipping the safety on is bad muscle memory. If the need ever arose to draw from the holster "for real," I would be concerned that my unconscious training would actually engage the safety at that point, as that's the way I'd done it thousands of times.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I had a crossbreed supertuck when I carried a G23. Great holster.

I also pulled the gun out when getting dressed (not necessarily when getting undressed though) because of the weight. It was always much easier to get dressed with the empty holster.
    Now, do you often tuck your shirt in? That always complicated it a bit for me and I would leave it untucked as much as possible. It is very good to be aware of safety and following the 4 rules at all times, period. So, do what's best and safest for you. Consider, as others have stated before, leaving the safety in the position that you use for carry. If you leave safety off normally, then leave it off all the time. If you leave it on (like w/ a 1911) then leave it on always.

Edit to add: I now carry a Shield and I always leave the safety off. In the holster, in the safe, etc.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yeah, I think always flipping the safety on is bad muscle memory. If the need ever arose to draw from the holster "for real," I would be concerned that my unconscious training would actually engage the safety at that point, as that's the way I'd done it thousands of times.
    I'm in the same boat, conditioning yourself to place the safety "ON" as you "draw"(remove from holster) just seems wrong to me?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    More info: OP carries a Beretta 92 - DA/SA. Even with the safety off, it'll take a lot of effort to pull the trigger.

And donning an IWB holster with a large / heavy pistol in it is almost as much fun as herding cats.

OP: Try to get put together and the belt onto a "close but not quite" hole - then try donning the gun / holster combination. Having the belt mostly in place may work.

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    Bad muscle memory indeed. "Safety off" should be muscle memory when drawing the gun to shoot! You are repetitively turning safety on when unholstering. I would be worried that will happen when drawing to fire under stress. If you were the average joe that would be my advice... If you have lifelong experience this might not apply to you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see any reason to remove the gun from its holster.

Sometimes I wear the same pair of pants repeatedly - I'm a guy. So, the holster (Supertuck) stays in the pants, gun comes out. I also have different holsters for different outfits, gun comes out. And yes, it's easier to install the holster when it is unloaded - less chance of flipping around and gun falling out. Yes, I do tuck in my shirts as I wear dress shirts.

Holster gets installed, pants fastened - usually just the first fastener (button), gun goes in, shirt gets tucked, pants completely fastened and zipped, belt buckled.

I don't carry guns with flippy safeties.

For my pistol with an external hammer, thumb is on the hammer while removing and inserting.

For my pistol with a grip safety, thumb is on the back of the slide during the operation.

Top Bottom