• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I moved and my drivers license does not reflect my current address the bmv now mails you your new DL and it will take approx. 10 days. In the meantime the bmv gives you a printed copy of your DL on a full sheet of paper(looks like your dl but blown up a few sizes) you apparantly cannot use this as ID to purchase a firearm, planned on going to Ft Wayne gun show tomorrow, I still have my unexpired valid DL with my old address on it. Could I just use that to buy anything? (also printed copy not good for anything but if you get a traffic stop apparantly)

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    Be sure and use your old address on the paperwork. Not sure how legal that is tho. I got denied a purchase from a gunstore because the address I put on the paperwork didnt match my DL

Last edited:

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I ran into this issue last weekend. My license had an old address so I was initially told I could not purchase a firearm. The dealer read the form over to verify that and saw that a tax document with your current address is named as an acceptable form of verification. So I went home and got my latest W-2 with my current address on it and that along with my valid indiana drivers license with my old address was sufficient enough for me to be able to purchase my XD.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Technically you are breaking the law by having both. Also, the paper one IS valid for any purpose according to the BMV. I recently had a lengthy conversation with them about it due to mine being a Class A and uncertain if a weigh station in another state would accept it.....

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I called a store and hypothetically wanted to purchase a firearm told them I had renewed my DL and all I had was the paper copy, was that ok, after they put me on hold returned and said no they couldnt accept that.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Last year I went to Gander to purchase a CZ P07. They denied me because I had not yet to update my DL. My local shops sold to me without question.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Not sure how long ago you moved but it is a ticketable offense if it is longer than a certain time frame. If I recall correctly my ticket stated it was outside a ninety day period and there is no penalty as long as the situation is remedied within 7 days of the issuing of the ticket. As far as purchasing a gun, a friend of mine was allowed to purchase booze with it so I dont see why you cant purchase a gun which i think is far less dangerous.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    No statutory requirement other than making sure they have your current address in the BMV computer in the sky. You're not required by the state of Indiana to keep your address accurate on your actual DL as long as they've got it in the computer.

With that said, a seller could still get sticky about 'proper' address for mailing purposes. You are an honest person right?
    So, it's more about seller/store policy than anything isn't it?

It drives me crazy to carry a DL an address that is not my legal permanent address. So, I get the DL changed within days of changing a permanent address. When I was in college, my parent's address was my permanent address, and it showed as that on my driver's license, too.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Just did this twice...my DL reflects my old address.they will need two things with your current address{i used a phone bill and hunting license} my LTCH has my current address on it but they wont accept it as proof...aint that a crock!?
    local gun shop just told me to use the addy on my DL two days after the purchase where i had to prove my current address...i thought for sure it would be denied but it wasnt.

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've had a shop put the old address along with the current address on the form and it went thru just fine. I just renewed my registration, had a lien free title issued for my car, and had the address onu DL updated with a gas bill and my ltch. They just got here... All with the wrong address on them. Guess I get to do it all over again before I can get a new pistol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom