• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    I'm pretty new to guns, and I might start carrying occasionally once I think I have enough training. BUT I realized I only have cloth belts, so there's nothing for my holster to hook on to. So just for fun, I went out and got a leather belt blank and a buckle, cut it down to size, punched a hole, sanded and burnished the edges, and dyed it. I guess by buying a blank, I skipped all the hardest parts of making it lol, but it was still fun and I came out with something that ain't bad.

Here's the belt after cutting down
    pxl_20230317_032221077-jpg.263821

And here it is after the first coat of dye
    PXL_20230318_211133275.jpg

Definitely needs another coat, I'll probably do that tomorrow, plus I have some leather cream that'll deepen the color a bit more, I think. The clip of my holster is a little harsh on the leather, but it'll last a bit. The blank and buckle were about $30, plus tools and dye were about $45. I figure now that I have the tools, if the belt gets torn up, I can make another for the $30.

Probably not as good as an actual gun belt, it's not nearly as stiff. Still a fun weekend project and it'll work with the holster! And worth wearing on the regular, too.

Attachments

• PXL_20230317_032221077.jpg
      PXL_20230317_032221077.jpg
      480.7 KB · Views: 161

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    What holster are you rockin?
    Cool little project. No one knows how to make their own stuff anymore. Looks good too! :thumbsup:

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    First coat of dye gives it the old warn look. I did some leather work back in the 80s for 4H. I still have the knife case i did. I think you did good on the project.

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    Had me concerned for a minute, first pic looks pink in my monitor. Don't want to offend the sensitive so I won't say any more. :shady:
    Only pink thing I have is speedloader, and that's just so it doesn't grow legs and walk away at the range lol not that I would mind some extra color in my wardrobe, personally.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Now you need to make your own holster that's where the real fun starts.

I started a leather working thread in the break room feel free to post any leather projects you have in it.

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    Now you need to make your own holster that's where the real fun starts.

I started a leather working thread in the break room feel free to post any leather projects you have in it.
    Hey thanks, that would be fun! I think my next gun might be heritage rough rider or a ruger wrangler, and a handmade leather holster for that might be pretty cool to have.

Top Bottom