• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    One of my wife's cousins was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident (his fault, ran himself into the back of a stopped semi trailer) and one of her co-worker's husbands was killed a year and a half ago - don't really know what happened in that one. No other vehicle involved and he wasn't going "that fast".

Anyhow - the "lifestyle" appeals to me. I can see myself on a low/moderate powered crotch rocket just the same as I can see myself on a big Bimmer or Goldwing and riding cross country.

But, alas, I'm now married and have two kids. A) no finances to buy a bike and B) today's driving climate is dangerous enough in a big car, let alone on a bike. Too many distracted drivers. :-(

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love motorcycles and I think they're awesome, but the big guy upstairs has made it clear to me that I'm meant for four wheeled vehicles. Motorcycles are one of those things where the dream of it is better than the reality of it. When you dream of motorcycles you think of beautiful sunny days and open roads. The reality is catch a moth in the eye while being tailgated when you're already trying to outrun a rain storm that's coming in.

I'd just say, buy a convertible car. Honestly, it's 80-90% of the sense of freedom you can get on a bike, but it's 0% of the fear of someone pulling out in front of you. You should run that idea past your wife and see what she says, unless you'd really rather just get more guns.

In any case, you have a good wife.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I started riding in high school, and never looked back. When my wife and I got married, we would ride together, and she had her own bike for a while.
    I began racing when I was in my 20's, and we had a new baby. My wife and baby went to the races with me. That kind of support is hard to find!
    After I quit racing, neither the street biking, nor dirt biking stopped. We have spent some great times cruising the roads on two wheels, and while I've really slowed down on the dirt riding, I've not given it up entirely, even though I can't compete with the modern-age talent.(read:young whippersnappers)
    I just took my 8yr. old grandaughter for her first street bike ride last week,( she said it was...AWESOME!) :): and I don't intend to stop till I just can't do it anymore. There's just nothing like it. :rockwoot:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) Awesome wife!

B) Motorcycles are the ONE thing my wife "put her foot down" on. Early in our marriage (or maybe even before, I can't remember), she made it very clear that a bike was not on "the list". I guess she had some bad experiences in the past. In any case, it opened the door for Jeeps (they have roll cages). :rockwoot: I've never looked back!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I started riding at near 9 years old. Uncle had a Harley Topper. If you know what that is then you know when I started riding....1959. I have logged more miles than most and less than others. Had some stupid fast Jap pieces but always leaned towards Harley's even when the were not cool.
    Wife was anti-gun/bikes/tattoo's when we married but after some patience and training (both ways) I have a nice collection of guns, she has had her own full size Harley and she is sporting a sweet Tiger Tattoo. I never get any grief about guns/ammo/or accessory's. Life is good.

We sold all the bikes a few years back. Last one sold in 04 if memory serves. We went racing for a few years. 2 car drag team. Lots of fun. Like I said...life is good, if you pick the right partner.

ces6508

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Cave Town
    The other day I was joking with my wife about buying a motorcycle.

Her response was "buy more guns, they're safer"!!:rockwoot:

Used the same trick.

Told her I was thinking about buying a motorcycle or an airplane.

She said "buy the airplane, they're safer and no tattoo required"

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just argued and bought what I wanted. Of course that cause years of petty aggrivation. Not exactly the brightest move I ever made.

My friend was a lot smarter than me. He was sick of driving a junky car and wanted to buy a brand new pick up. At first approach his Mrs. was against it. Shortly after, he started bringing home Corvette brochures and looking at used Corvettes that were posted in the classified ads. He started bringing home car magazines that featured Corvettes. After a couple months of drooling, his wife told him a new pickup would be a lot more practical and easier to make payments and insurance on. After acting like he was upset, he agreed to "settle" for "only" getting the truck. He was happy to get what he wanted, and she was happy to have gotten her way. The man is a genius.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just argued and bought what I wanted. Of course that cause years of petty aggrivation. Not exactly the brightest move I ever made.

My friend was a lot smarter than me. He was sick of driving a junky car and wanted to buy a brand new pick up. At first approach his Mrs. was against it. Shortly after, he started bringing home Corvette brochures and looking at used Corvettes that were posted in the classified ads. He started bringing home car magazines that featured Corvettes. After a couple months of drooling, his wife told him a new pickup would be a lot more practical and easier to make payments and insurance on. After acting like he was upset, he agreed to "settle" for "only" getting the truck. He was happy to get what he wanted, and she was happy to have gotten her way. The man is a genius.

And your wife never figured out you played her, eh?:laugh:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If motorcycles were dangerous i think the goverment would of banned them by now...........

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've missed having a bike for several years. Now that I'm married and she wants to have kids getting another one has been put on the back burner for the unforeseen future.

At $4/gallon though, the 45 + MPG (even after my modifications) is making it QUICKLY sneak back to the front burner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes....pure genius.

But really, if you have to trick/lie/twist the facts etc to get something nice then is that a good relationship....really.
    I provide very well for my family as did the wife before she had serious medical issues. If we wanted something it was discussed and we proceeded to go get it. Maybe not the most responsible financial planning but everybody was cared for.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I, too, would love to buy a bike. My wife refuses to budge on the issue because she's worried I'll get killed on it. Ironically, my mother in law thinks the same thing but agrees with me and thinks I should have one.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I had several bikes but got over it. It's too dangerous and just not my thing. My fiancé wants me to buy one. I'd rather buy guns or go on vacation and she's fine with that too

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I used to ride my Harley all the time. When my wife and I were dating, we'd take several rides together. After awhile, it got old and I just didn't ride as much.

When the time was right, I sold the Harley, paid a bill off and bought her my girl a ring. She's been my property ever since :D

Flash forward to today. I do miss having a bike. But IMO they get old after awhile.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I did have a bike when I was 16, a good old Suzuki 185. Loved it but laid it down several times due to other drivers. I decided back then I trusted myself, but not the cars on the road.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom