• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've had my LTCH for about 10 months now. I just got around to buying my first two holsters. Both fit decent for IWB and I'm trying to figure out if I want to wear at 2:26 or 3:34 because my belt loop is getting in the way. :)

I'm also trying to find out where the gun fits best into the small of my back for a 4:00 carry. I can definitely see how people are worried about printing and constantly fussing with their shirts. With the 4:00 carry I find that the handle of the gun gets away and starts sticking out of the back of my shirt quite a bit. I've worn my holsters around the house for the past few days. They're pretty comfy!

I went out to the grocery store today with my handgun. Driving was pretty comfortable. I decided NOT to wear a coat. Balls to the wall, right? I wore a thin ribbed long sleeve shirt. I'm a skinny guy, so I think this was a pretty big accomplishment. Terrifying? No. I definitely have a little ways to go before I am totally comfortable with carrying in public.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :yesway: OPs post is VERT approved!

I have carried a pistol for years and I still fuse over where the holster sits. Darn belt loops are always in the way and seem to move around depending on the pants. A good belt really helps.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Congrats. Funny thing when you first start carrying is that you think everyone knows. Truth is most people never see anyone printing, and lots of times don't even notice someone open carrying.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I've had my LTCH for about 10 months now. I just got around to buying my first two holsters. Both fit decent for IWB and I'm trying to figure out if I want to wear at 2:26 or 3:34 because my belt loop is getting in the way. :)

I'm also trying to find out where the gun fits best into the small of my back for a 4:00 carry. I can definitely see how people are worried about printing and constantly fussing with their shirts. With the 4:00 carry I find that the handle of the gun gets away and starts sticking out of the back of my shirt quite a bit. I've worn my holsters around the house for the past few days. They're pretty comfy!

I went out to the grocery store today with my handgun. Driving was pretty comfortable. I decided NOT to wear a coat. Balls to the wall, right? I wore a thin ribbed long sleeve shirt. I'm a skinny guy, so I think this was a pretty big accomplishment. Terrifying? No. I definitely have a little ways to go before I am totally comfortable with carrying in public.

Op, I hope you have taken a course or two prior to your decision to carry. Also, I hope that you put in much practice time into properly and safely drawing your weapon dressed in your clothing that you most often wear. Other posters have covered the belt issue. Whatever position you ultimately decide to carry, practice. A lot.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    OP, the belt is equally as important as the holster for concealment, stability, and comfort. Make sure you have a belt designed for carrying a firearm.

Many here, myself included, are fans of the Daltech Force SuperBio belt.

Use coupon code "INGO" for a discount.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Op, I hope you have taken a course or two prior to your decision to carry. Also, I hope that you put in much practice time into properly and safely drawing your weapon dressed in your clothing that you most often wear. Other posters have covered the belt issue. Whatever position you ultimately decide to carry, practice. A lot.

Good advice, but even carrying before taking a course is good call. Let's all bear in mind that the chance of needing to pull your weapon are slim, and needing to do it in a quick draw wild west gun showdown are smaller than that x10000.
    If you need it and have it on you your better off than it sitting at home in the safe, no matter the training you've been through.

Just get comfortable carrying, don't carry on an empty chamber (if you need to at first, that's fine, but it's something you need to get past), and don't worry about people noticing. More than likely if they're observant enough to look for someone carrying, it's because they're carrying themselves. People don't tend to think outside of what they would do, it's human nature.

It'll change how you interact with people, you'll tend to back down from any type of confrontation, you'll never want to put yourself in a spot where you need to pull it when you could have just walked away from a conflict.

The next step is you'll wind up with 20 different holsters/gun combinations trying to find the perfect comfort for any attire, and as soon as you think you have it figured out, you'll come up with a new idea you want to try. Welcome to the neverending battle OP :)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Congrats! Enjoy the process that is carrying a gun. You'll learn a lot about what does and doesn't work for you over the first couple years that you carry.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If you need it and have it on you your better off than it sitting at home in the safe, no matter the training you've been through.

This isn't always true. Skills and a plan without a gun is often better than a gun without skills and a plan. Many people have been killed with their own gun or died with their gun still holstered.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    To the OP, if your belt loop on most of your pants is "in the way" consider straddling that loop. That is, assuming you have a holster that requires you to thread the belt through 2 loops on the holster, thread the belt through one holster loop, then the belt loop On your pants, then the other holster loop.

When end you tighten it up that belt loop will essentially be under your holster but you can still adjust a few inches fore or aft.

Thats how how I have to set up with a Raven holster and most of my jeans.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I carry sloppy concealed at 4:00 in an OWB Handmade holster. I normally wear Lee carpenter jeans and this combo rides right between belt loops. Works for me. Congrats on carrying.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Congratulations...and welcome to the club. Eventually, you will be so comfortable with your carry that you will feel uncomfortable when you aren't.

Keep Calm and Carry On. :draw:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Congrats OP. I thought everyone went to Walmart the first time they carried.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sure it is. False sense of security. "I'll be fine, I have a gun". Not everyone, but there are certainly many who will go places/do things with a gun that they wouldn't without.

Sorry to take the thread down the bunny trail. As much as we say just having a gun is not a magic talisman people still don't get it. Do you see the story of the guy up here by me who was shot dead with his gun still in the holster after intervening in a dog beating? I posted it on our FB page. Not sure if it made it to INGO of not.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Ya cc is feels like you have a happy little secret. First few times you oc you feel like your walkin around with your **** hangin out. Good on ya for carrying though, keep at it!

Top Bottom