• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    ***Some of the following may be disturbing to Glock Fan Boys, but it's all in good fun as I eventually, really, actually, do ask for some advice. :D ***

I have to start out by stating that I have disliked, nay, despised, Glocks since I ever laid eyes on them.

I historically have preferred what I consider to be "classics" - 1911s, CZ 75s, Hi Powers, etc. I have smallish hands, and finding comfortable double stack firearms have typically been troublesome. That led me to the CZ - I love the way they feel, despite the fact that I am unable to operate the slide release and magazine ejection with only my firing hand. The importance of that, was taught to me in a very humbling lesson courtesy of MDFI. That led me to getting into 1911s - the single stack profile, is pretty comfortable for me, and everything is operable, but it still isn't just quite right.

Part of my historical disdain for Glock was quite simple - I don't want what everyone else has, and they've never been comfortable for me to hold. I just simply, didn't care for them much. That has changed with the Generation 4. When I initially read about them when they came out, I thought - <yawn> just another Glock, yet another variation of the ever reliable, ever present Tupperware that has been emulated by a multitude of other companies. Well, as a friend of mine started shopping for his first firearm, I had handled a Gen 4 Glock in the process of helping him shop. He ended up with a Walther, but my dislike for all things Glock began to fade. I finally started looking at them once in awhile, and started thinking that I might want to buy one some day.

Well, fast forward a few months and I decided that I was ready to purchase a new long gun. I wanted something short, but non SBR, fairly inexpensive, and setup for home defense, and I was leaning towards the Kel Tec Sub2000. When Glock came out with a 22 round Glock 22 magazine, that had me sold on the Kel Tec. The magazines are a nice "AR15" length, instead of a horribly long Glock 18 magazine.

Well, naturally, I have to get a handgun that I can interchange magazines with, right?

I began to look at the Glocks more, and now I'm ready to get one pretty soon.

My dilemma, is which one to buy first?

I'm going back and forth between a 22 and a 23. I'm trying to figure out if I buy a 22 now, then I'll follow up with a 27 in time for summer, or if I should just go with the middle ground and get a 23 for now and figure it out later. I'm most definitely not buying a 27 first, as I want something to plink with too. I'm a bigger guy, so I normally have not had issues concealing full size firearms like the CZ75 or a 1911. With the Glock, I'm just concerned about how thick they are. When laying a 23 on top of a 22, I didn't feel that there was that much of a difference.

So I ask - with a quality holster, is a 23 more so concealable then a 22 for any appreciable amount?

Any other thoughts?

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Actually the small baby glocks shoot just about as well as the bigger ones. I put 800rds though my gen3 g26 in 2 days with out a problem at all. I would suggest strating with the g19,23,32 size first though. they are very vesitile and really do not carry much different then the babys. the full size one are noticibly bigger when carring.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I bought a 23 thinking it would be the best of both world. Concealable but more accurate than a g27. I came to the conclusion its the worst of both world. If ur looking for concealment and sufficent accuracy look no further than a g27. It hides easy and with the extend mag with finger groove 35 yard shots are no problem. I feel the compacts are in limbo. My wife likes it because it feels like a full size to her.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    G27 hands down. You can run G22 mags in it with grip extensions and have the best of every world. Pop the G27 factory mag back in, presto, jeans pocket pistol. Don't cut yourself short...get all you can get. You can make the 27 bigger, but be damned if I know how to make the 22/23 smaller...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The great thing about Glocks is their uniformity. All 9mm, .40 and .357SIG Glocks, no matter the size of the gun the grip circumference is the same. The Gen4 does give you the advantage of making the grip thicker. The only difference is the length of the grip; as far as one to get first, that is an age old question! Don't forget the Glock 35 as part of the .40 S&W Glock family. You would be surprised at just how concealable a Glock 22 can be provided you have a good belt and a good holster and longer shirts.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Any other thoughts?
    What if you buy all this sh** and then find out you can't hit anything with it?

22/23 same as 17/19, not that much difference in terms of carrying but you can easily make a case for owning both sizes. IF you go with the 23 you may just find you don't need any other size? That happens a lot with the 19 too.

Good luck!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    6444444951_c10816f8bd.jpg

Chopped G22 on the left (G23 size grip) and standard G22 on the right. All in a Phantom LC for your convenience. They both conceal pretty well under a sweatshirt. I'm about 6' and 165lbs. Hope that helps you man. I suggest the G22 first.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    You know you can buy the Kel Tec sub2000 in configurations that take
    Beretta 92 mags , S&W 59 series mags , and even Sig 226 mags right ?

Or for .40 the Beretta 96 , S&W 4006 and Sig 226

No need to Stoop down to the Glock Level.....:D:ingo:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My first Glock 40 was the 23. Then I got the 27 for ankle carry. After I got the 22 I took them all to the range and shot at 7,10 and 15 yards. Until the 15 yarder the 27 grouped as tight as the other two with Gold Dots. I love the 27 because there are days I have to start out ankle carrying then I can switch to belt. The thing hides great in a belt holster. I carry either a 13 round or 15 round spare and never feel undergunned.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would go with the G27. You can get grip extensions to have the grip length of the full size 40. But the advantage is that in the summer you can conceal it easier with it being smaller. In the winter you can carry the larger mag and grip extension for more rounds. You can make the G27 larger but you can't make the G23 Smaller.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My first Glock 40 was the 23. Then I got the 27 for ankle carry. After I got the 22 I took them all to the range and shot at 7,10 and 15 yards. Until the 15 yarder the 27 grouped as tight as the other two with Gold Dots. I love the 27 because there are days I have to start out ankle carrying then I can switch to belt. The thing hides great in a belt holster. I carry either a 13 round or 15 round spare and never feel undergunned.

You carry the G27 on your ankle? WOW What kind of ankle holster are you wearing to keep it in place?

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    You carry the G27 on your ankle? WOW What kind of ankle holster are you wearing to keep it in place?
    Gould & Goodrich make a great ankle holster and so is the Galco Glove. Both are comfortable, secure and comfortable with the G27. I worn them each many times 10-12 hours a day.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Gould & Goodrich make a great ankle holster and so is the Galco Glove. Both are comfortable, secure and comfortable with the G27. I worn them each many times 10-12 hours a day.

Hearing people say that they ankle carry, or pocket carry a sub compact glock makes me think that my pants are way too small. There is no way I could fit a glock on my ankle without printing like I had on spandex jogging pants. Pocket carry is difficult to wrap my head around too, because every pair of pants that I own the pistol sticks half out of my font pocket. How is it that people can make this work without dressing like MC Hammer in the 90's?

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I too, like "Sweetums" was a CZ fan when I first started out with semi
    autos. I was one that was not interested in a plastic gun. However, some
    years ago I shot a G17 and to my surprise, I liked shooting it. Now the
    grip was my biggest dislike, with small hands it just did'nt feel like I had
    control of the pistol. So I tried a G19 2nd. Gen...that sold me. I now own
    five Glocks, two in second gen, two in gen three and a gen four 17. All
    of my later Glocks have had the finger groves and rear hump reduced and
    stippled. Still have a CZ and love it, but Glock is my go to gun.

:ingo::patriot:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I would go with the G27. You can get grip extensions to have the grip length of the full size 40. But the advantage is that in the summer you can conceal it easier with it being smaller. In the winter you can carry the larger mag and grip extension for more rounds. You can make the G27 larger but you can't make the G23 Smaller.

Actually you can make a G23 smaller. Its called a grip chop. I would rather have a chopped G23 than a 27. After I get a G24 I'll be getting a G23 for the sole purpose of chopping it for deeper concealment. (don't worry I will eventually get a G23 to keep standard, but the chopped one will be first, and then, after I have all the other .40 Glocks, I will get a 27 to complete the collection)

Top Bottom