I have to renew my license but I have a question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Finna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Lake County,Indiana
    It's time for me to renew my IN.carry license and I'm going for the lifetime license but I had some trouble with the law about 2.5 years ago that I'm not proud of. Well I got pulled over for OWI and it was changed to Reckless Driving and that was what I pleaded guilty of and recieved probation and community service all of it completed.Now I see on the license app. they want to know if I have ever been convicted of ANY Criminal violations including DUI do I have to answer yes and will it hurt my chances of renewing my license?

Thanks

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It's time for me to renew my IN.carry license and I'm going for the lifetime license but I had some trouble with the law about 2.5 years ago that I'm not proud of. Well I got pulled over for OWI and it was changed to Reckless Driving and that was what I pleaded guilty of and recieved probation and community service all of it completed.Now I see on the license app. they want to know if I have ever been convicted of ANY Criminal violations including DUI do I have to answer yes and will it hurt my chances of renewing my license?

Thanks

You pled guilty to Reckless Driving which is a criminal violation. If you don't include that conviction on your application and ISP discovers it, there is a very good chance they will not renew your LTCH. Since it is only a misdemeanor and not a crime of violence they may still renew it, but I think it would be best to list it and not try to hide it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its not like the State Police doesn't already have that information. Definitely mark YES.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You lie, you are screwed. I would think that if it were a real problem, they would have taken your current LTCH.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes you are required to tell them.
    If its your only conviction it shouldn't hurt at all. If you have prior alcohol related convictions, then yes it would give them reason to deny your permit.

IC 35-47-1-7
    "Proper person"
    (5) does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser as defined in this chapter;

IC 35-47-1-2
    "Alcohol abuser"
    Sec. 2. "Alcohol abuser" means an individual who has had two (2) or more alcohol related offenses, any one (1) of which resulted in conviction by a court or treatment in an alcohol abuse facility within three (3) years prior to the date of the application.

chrismw5551

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    You should still get your permit, especially since it wasn't a violent crime. If you lie, you are screwed.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    There is a difference in states that offer CCL, there is a shall issue and will issue

GREAT RESOURCE
    Handgunlaw.us

Shall-issue
    A shall-issue jurisdiction, within the context of gun law, is one that requires a permit to carry a concealed handgun, but where the granting of such permits is subject only to meeting certain criteria laid out in the law; the granting authority has no discretion in the awarding of the permits. Such laws typically state that a granting authority shall issue a permit if the criteria are met, as opposed to laws where the authority may-issue a permit at their discretion.
    Typical permit requirements include residency, minimum age, submitting fingerprints, passing a background check, attending a certified handgun/firearms safety class, participating in a range check/qualification before a certified trainer (for demonstrating safe firearms handling and practical proficiency), and paying the required fee (if any). Minnesota is a classic "shall issue" state.[50]
    Requirements also include certification that a person has never been diagnosed with a "mental illness," which include any condition which interferes with "normal life--" including trauma from being victim of prior crimes, or for which the person was diagnosed prior to the passage of the law.
    These requirements vary by jurisdiction; for example, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Washington (with well over a million permit holders among them) have no safety certification requirement or range check.
    The following are undisputed shall-issue states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina,[51] North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,[52] Texas, Utah,[53] Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.[54]
    Alaska is both a shall-issue and an unrestricted state. Alaska does not require a permit for any law-abiding individual to carry a handgun, either openly or concealed, within the state's borders. However, the state continues to issue permits to any of its residents who meet the state's issuance criteria for reciprocity reasons; Alaska residents can carry, with a permit, while in other states that recognize the Alaska concealed-carry license.
    The status of Alabama, Connecticut and Iowa is in some dispute among gun rights activists. The laws of all three states, strictly speaking, would place them in the may-issue category, as permit issue is to some degree discretionary. However, these states are effectively "shall-issue" in practice as agency policies direct the issuing body to approve an applicant who has met statutory requirements.

[edit] No-issue

A no-issue jurisdiction, within the context of gun law, is one that does not allow any private citizen to carry a concealed handgun. The term refers to the fact that no concealed carry permits will be issued (or recognized).
    As of December 2007[update] in the United States, only Illinois, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia are no-issue jurisdictions. Nebraska and Kansas have passed concealed carry laws which took effect on January 1, 2007. Wisconsin, Kansas, Virginia and Nebraska all permit unlicensed open carry, subject to county and municipal restrictions.[18] The District of Columbia is also "no-issue", and until District of Columbia v. Heller did in fact forbid possession or ownership of a handgun within the District, except those grandfathered in before the 1976 ordinance went into effect.

[edit] Unrestricted

An unrestricted jurisdiction, in the terminology of firearm laws, is one where no permit is required to carry a concealed handgun.
    Currently, among U.S. states, only Alaska and Vermont allow the general public to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.[55][56]
    Alaska is both unrestricted and a shall-issue state as it continues to automatically issue carry permits to all residents who meet that state's issuance criteria; this is done primarily for permitting residents to legally carry in states that recognize permits from Alaska. Additionally, anyone 16 or older may possess a firearm without parental consent.
    Vermont is unique in that permits are not required for carry concealed or unconcealed for resident and non-resident alike. Vermont has no statutes concerning concealed carry, nor is there a specific statute that allows it. In the absence of a statute that prohibits it, then it is taken that there is no law against it. Since Vermont does not issue permits, its residents are unable to legally carry concealed in other states that would normally recognize out-of-state permit holders unless they hold some other state's permit. As a way around this situation, a person who wishes to legally carry a concealed firearm in another state can apply for and receive a non-resident permit from Florida, or another state which issues non-resident permits. Florida is typically the state of choice because Florida has been quite aggressive about seeking the widest possible reciprocity with other states.

Top Bottom