• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Just picked up my venison from Webb's Butcher Block in Payneville, KY after hearing amazing things about them. When I dropped off my deer 5 weeks ago, I asked for 2 roasts, sliced backstraps, and whole inside loins. The rest I said to divide up between breakfast sausage, summer sausage, and bacon. I've never heard of or tried venison bacon, but I figured I couldn't go wrong. Went to pick it up today, and I ended up with 22 pounds of bacon! I won't have time to fry it up until Christmas Eve, but I will make sure to report back. I am so pumped to eat all of this bacon!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Look forward to a report with pictures. First I've heard of deer bacon. I usually process my own but if I can get bacon out of a deer I just might have to take it somewhere to be processed.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    I had some of their chipolte bacon earlier this year and it was amazing! I am regretting not taking my deer there this year!

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Ive had it quite a few times, from a few different processors. I really like it and get it made evreytime I have a deer processed. I had some made at Archers in Greenwood and some in Knightstown.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting, must be something ground and extruded like some jerky. Looking forward to the report.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a Suburban. I'm bringing this guy and a couple more from Indy. We may have to take the long way to your house to pick up BK but he'll bring something too.

Swing up North and pick me up, I will bring the fried taters!

Let us know how the bacon turns out, here it is 42min. into Christmas Eve and there is no bacon update, we were promised a bacon update on 12-24-13........

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Getting ready to go fry it right now.

My deer was roughly 150 pounds field dressed. The bacon is a mix of venison and just a small amount of pork so the fats can get juicy to fry it.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Just finished up. Turned out pretty darn good! They made very little grease, so they did take quite a bit longer to cook than regular bacon. But, grease didn't splatter all over me and the kitchen, so I call that a good balance. The first strip was a test, so it didn't turn out perfect. Since there is little grease, they have to cook longer, but they burn very easily. Anything more than medium heat will burn it. I put my stove on 5 out of 9, and they worked out great. They took about 8 minutes of flipping them back and forth until they were a nice brown color. When you first start cooking them, they look almost like country ham, but smell exactly like bacon! Once they cook and are starting to crisp, it's just like bacon. They taste very similar to pork bacon on the first bite, but as you start chewing, you can definitely tell it's venison. It actually really reminded me of the taste of deer jerky, but the consistency of bacon. I love it!

Here is the website if anyone is curious. Their cuts of meat and everything are on this site. http://www.webbsbutcherblock.com/
    The bacon was $3.50 a pound. It was a lot of money, but still about $2 cheaper than store bought bacon, and probably a lot less hormones and chemicals in my meat.

packaged

on the stove

the little guy knew something special was happening up there

the finished product

and the killer sandwich

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This is a new one for me as well. Have to say, I'm intrigued--to say the least. I'd LOVE to know how they process it for the bacon to come out so nice. Gives me something new to think about when I carve up my next deer...whenever I manage to bag another one, that is!

Thanks for the info, OP!!

Somehow, this just wouldn't be complete without:

:bacondance::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    update:

I heard from some friends that baking it in the oven was better. They were right! 25 minutes at 375 degress was the magic setting. This stuff is awesome!

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    update:

I heard from some friends that baking it in the oven was better. They were right! 25 minutes at 375 degress was the magic setting. This stuff is awesome!

Pretty soon, you'll need to change the title of this thread to "I USED TO have 22 pounds of venison bacon".

Webb's makes some great stuff.

Top Bottom