I had to re-evaluate my med bag tonight!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I know that you can't prepare for everything, and need to cover most of the basics and adapt as you can. Well I found out tonight I need to tailor my med bag a little differently.

My mom called me around 9PM and said my dad was incoherent, and she needed help getting him into the house. Long story short he is a diabetic and hadn't eaten much today and let his blood sugar drop to low; probably because he still took his insulin as normal, but didnt have anything in his system.

anyway, we had to scramble a bit to get a sugar monitor and something to give him to get his sugar up (Karo syrup).

Now, this is where I can tailor my med bag that I keep in my jeep a bit. If we had been in a different place, who knows if we would have had access to a blood sugar monitor, or anything to help get his sugar up. So I will be adding one of the freebie monitors I have and some kind of syrup to my bag.

I dont think everyone should have this stuff, but given my situation and my dad's issues, this is something *I* need to add to my bag.

Think about your situation, and those you care about and see if there is anything similar you should have with you in a pinch.

-Clay

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    tayloring YOUR bag to YOUR needs is a no brainer. You can't carry a big enough bag with kit for every conceivable situation but you can carry a bag with kit for probable situations.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    There's also an oral glucose gel you can use in case the person isn't able to chew the glucose tabs.

awesome. Ill look for the tablets and this. Im not sure in this case if my dad could have chewed a tablet. We were able to get tablespoons of syrup, but that was about it. His blood sugar level was 54 when I first got there.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Jim Floyd suggests med kits should have glucose tablets for such occasions. I cannot speak to it myself.
    Glucose Tablets are great, IF the victim/patient is not coherent the Tablets are just one step away from useless...

Glucose Gel Packs are a much better option, with a wider range of applications...

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    When I took the diabetic classes when my sister was first diagnosed they said the general rule of thumb for low blood sugar is 15 carbs every 15 minutes until the person feels better.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Seems that Walgreens carries these in stock, so Ill be getting some for my bag, and making up a bag for my pops to keep with him as well.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I carry those in my truck kit. A buddy of mine is diabetic at work, and we frequent gunshows and run around, so I decided to keep some handy.

I did not know he was diabetic until after leaving a gun show, we stopped to eat. Half way home he rolls up his sleave and shoots up in the truck. :scratch:
    So I finally ask, and then he told me. He has had a couple issues at work, so it is good to have on hand.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My wife is Type I diabetic...and an EXCELLENT alternative to glucose tabs are runners' gels. They are perishable, but low cost, extremely portable, light weight, take up no space, and are VERY effective.

You can buy Powerbar gels at many grocery or big-box stores and sporting goods shops often have Gu brand, which taste much better...typically run $1-1.50 per gel.

MedicMonty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Any gel with simple sugars is good, the thicker the better. Thin liquids can cause problems if the patient isn't alert enough to handle liquids well. Gels can also be spread between the cheeks and gums of a semi-conscious patient and most will absorb rapidly (which is the only reason I might prefer the oral glucose over a "health food." Just don't glob so much in at one time that it slides down their airway.

For anyone who doesn't have access to a glucose meter (especially for an extra one that just may live in a SHTF kit, etc.), don't sweat it. If you suspect the patient's sugar is low, give them some gel. If they get better, great. If their sugar is actually too high, the amount the gel will raise it is insignificant.

Kudos to you for being prepared and thinking about your family!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    might be something to consider, but they only have 3 grams of carbs per packet. Would have to get 5 or more of them down to equal 1 glucose gel packet.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Any gel with simple sugars is good, the thicker the better. Thin liquids can cause problems if the patient isn't alert enough to handle liquids well. Gels can also be spread between the cheeks and gums of a semi-conscious patient and most will absorb rapidly (which is the only reason I might prefer the oral glucose over a "health food." Just don't glob so much in at one time that it slides down their airway.

For anyone who doesn't have access to a glucose meter (especially for an extra one that just may live in a SHTF kit, etc.), don't sweat it. If you suspect the patient's sugar is low, give them some gel. If they get better, great. If their sugar is actually too high, the amount the gel will raise it is insignificant.

Kudos to you for being prepared and thinking about your family!
    This. And I stress semi-conscious, by this I mean if they cannot follow commands then do not give oral glucose, unless your planning on giving it in the opposite end than it is intended for.

Yes I mean rectal glucose. There are a few studies out that I know of that say it doesn't work, I have only heard stories of it being done, and have no experience with it personally, because I frankly have no desire to try it when better options are available. But in theory it should work.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Ask his doc for a glucagon injection script as well. It helps raise sugar when the person is non-responsive and helps prevent hypoglycemic coma. Oral sugar stuff needs to be able to be absorbed under the tongue btw, we have also made a very light paste of straight sugar and water and stuck it under a hypogylcemics tongue.

Seriously though, I've had someone's sugar register below 30 and the glucagon injection plus the syrup concoction had them 75+ in ten to fifteen if I remember correctly.

Also, tell him to try and make sure there isn't a next time!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    This. And I stress semi-conscious, by this I mean if they cannot follow commands then do not give oral glucose, unless your planning on giving it in the opposite end than it is intended for.

Yes I mean rectal glucose. There are a few studies out that I know of that say it doesn't work, I have only heard stories of it being done, and have no experience with it personally, because I frankly have no desire to try it when better options are available. But in theory it should work.

If someone is in enough distress that they can't absorb a paste under the tongue, then you definitely shouldn't mess around near the vagal nerve and drop their heartrate...just saying.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Packets of honey from your fast food restaurant of choice. Honey does not spoil, is quite viscous and my understanding is it will be absorbed when squirted under the tongue.

Top Bottom