I don't understand this judge's ruling. Please help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Ex-IMPD Officer Won't Go To Jail For Arsons - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

A convicted arsonist is given probation because the judge feared for his safety in prison. What about the safety of the public after allowing a convicted arsonist off with a slap on the wrist?

And then there is this.

If Russell successfully completes his probation he can come back to the court and ask for alternative misdemeanor sentencing.

For arson? This man set fire to people's property and homes and has the chance to have it downgraded to a misdemeanor? I need help digesting this ruling.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's often the standard when one comes from a privileged profession. We've seen it before, we'll see it again.

It is absolutely amazing to me that a man can set fire to citizens' homes and not go to jail because he is a member of "the brotherhood". I haven't read Animal Farm in 20 years.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Judges hand down idiotic rulings every day! That being said, it would seem there is absolutely no accountability if you are, or were, a cop. And some wonder why people resent them.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If you guys think that it's only the cops who get weak sentences then you need to pay a little closer attention to the criminal justice system in this country. All kinds of people get light sentences for heinous crimes. *Redacted, no need to bring it up again.* If all parties go for it, then that's what the offender gets.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you guys think that it's only the cops who get weak sentences then you need to pay a little closer attention to the criminal justice system in this country. All kinds of people get light sentences for heinous crimes. *Redacted, no need to bring it up again.* If all parties go for it, then that's what the offender gets.

+1.

How many news stories have we all read, and then said to ourselves "WTF was that guy doing out of prison?"

I read them just about every day.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

The reason this man isn't in jail is because he was a cop. The judge feared for his safety. Do judges fear the safety of computer programmers who commit arson? Plumbers? Chefs?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    That was only the first of four separate trials, correct?

Yes, that is how much a danger this man is to the public. He likes to burn down homes. But, since he was a cop, he gets to walk with probation. I hope he doesn't get an itchy lighter finger until his next trial.

The story of this guy is epic. He would start fires then call in the report to the FD. He was always "first on the scene".

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The reason this man isn't in jail is because he was a cop. The judge feared for his safety. Do judges fear the safety of computer programmers who commit arson? Plumbers? Chefs?

So the judge didn't feel that the extra "attention" he would get from the other inmates due to his former LEO status was fitting for the crime committed. What if he was an 85 year old man and the judge gave him probation in lieu of prison because he didn't think the old man could handle prison? Would you be starting a thread about how you can't comprehend why an old man would get special treatment?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So the judge didn't feel that the extra "attention" he would get from the other inmates due to his former LEO status was fitting for the crime committed. What if he was an 85 year old man and the judge gave him probation in lieu of prison because he didn't think the old man could handle prison? Would you be starting a thread about how you can't comprehend why an old man would get special treatment?

Yes. Prisons have ways of dealing with people of all ages who pose a threat to society. We aren't talking about a drug conviction here.

So, you agree with the ruling? Are you implying that you shouldn't go to jail if you set fire to my house? Should I go to jail if I set fire to your house?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Prosecution had to agree to it. They did.

Considering they're all members of the same team, that doesn't really surprise me.

It sounds like you're defending the ruling. Do you agree with it?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Yes. Prisons have ways of dealing with people of all ages who pose a threat to society. We aren't talking about a drug conviction here.

So, you agree with the ruling? Are you implying that you shouldn't go to jail if you set fire to my house? Should I go to jail if set fire to your house?

No, I think they could have put him in some sort of protective segregation away from the general prison population, the judge obviously didn't see it that way for some reason. The judge's stated reason for the sentence seemed to be concern about that informal punishment at the hands of the other inmates, which is probably a valid concern. The only reason I responded to this thread was because I could see the cascade of "because he's above us lowly peons" comments about to pour in. The judge apparently felt the added danger and informal punishment at the hands of the other inmates wasn't justified for the crime he committed. Just like if he'd been an old man and the judge didn't feel he could handle the rigors of prison life and the punishment would no longer be fitting for the crime. Aside from that, what interest would a judge have in keeping a former LEO out of jail? I mean, what does the judge gain by doing a solid for a former cop?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The only reason I responded to this thread was because I could see the cascade of "because he's above us lowly peons" comments about to pour in. The judge apparently felt the added danger and informal punishment at the hands of the other inmates wasn't justified for the crime he committed. Just like if he'd been an old man and the judge didn't feel he could handle the rigors of prison life and the punishment would no longer be fitting for the crime. Aside from that, what interest would a judge have in keeping a former LEO out of jail? I mean, what does the judge gain by doing a solid for a former cop?

Well, what are the computer programmers, plumbers, and chefs supposed to think? I would think more of your opinion if you just admitted there are two sets of rules. The brotherhood and the mundanes.

Like 88GT said, their paychecks are all signed by the same guy.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well, what are the computer programmers, plumbers, and chefs supposed to think? I would think more of your opinion if you just admitted there are two sets of rules. The brotherhood and the mundanes.

Like 88GT said, their paychecks are all signed by the same guy.

It's like you read what I wrote but didn't understand a word of it, or ignored it. The judge must not have felt that getting beaten everyday by the other inmates was a fitting punishment for his crime. Again, what does the judge have to gain by helping out a FORMER cop? If you can adequately answer that question for me then I'll concede that you have a point.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Punishment and incarceration are the deterrent for unlawful behavior.
    I don't see a LEO as above the law or getting preferential treatment.
    "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

Top Bottom