I did something I said I'd never do again...I bought a Taurus.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I came into some 200gr XTPs recently, so I loaded up some 185s, 200s, and 230s to shoot all in the same session. It was pouring rain, so i had to shoot inside on the 50 foot range...close enough to 15 yards for all intents and purposes.

IMG_20240924_150305129.jpg

IMG_20240924_150650021.jpg

IMG_20240924_151112431.jpg

If you give some allowances for my less than stellar shooting, the fact that it's a 2" snubby at bullseye distances, and lower your expectations a bit, the groups are almost acceptable. The 200gr definitely seems to be the closest to hitting to point of aim vertically.

I'm starting to feel like this project has run it's course. It's not a bad gun...functionally it has been perfect. Accuracy-wise it's adequate for what most folks would use a snubby for. I'm just not sure what use I have for a 5-shot revolver that only shoots jacketed bullets at light .45ACP velocities. I was hoping for something to fill the gap between a .38/.357 J-Frame and my 329PD, and this isn't ever going to be that. The question now is do I hold onto it and try to find a use for it, or do I trade it off towards another project like maybe a Taurus TH-10?

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I came into some 200gr XTPs recently, so I loaded up some 185s, 200s, and 230s to shoot all in the same session. It was pouring rain, so i had to shoot inside on the 50 foot range...close enough to 15 yards for all intents and purposes.

View attachment 382715

View attachment 382716

View attachment 382717

If you give some allowances for my less than stellar shooting, the fact that it's a 2" snubby at bullseye distances, and lower your expectations a bit, the groups are almost acceptable. The 200gr definitely seems to be the closest to hitting to point of aim vertically.

I'm starting to feel like this project has run it's course. It's not a bad gun...functionally it has been perfect. Accuracy-wise it's adequate for what most folks would use a snubby for. I'm just not sure what use I have for a 5-shot revolver that only shoots jacketed bullets at light .45ACP velocities. I was hoping for something to fill the gap between a .38/.357 J-Frame and my 329PD, and this isn't ever going to be that. The question now is do I hold onto it and try to find a use for it, or do I trade it off towards another project like maybe a Taurus TH-10?
    Give it a few more range trips. Maybe use it under some different conditions. Perhaps your opinion will change. I’ve had several that took a long time to come to enjoy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

View attachment 382715

View attachment 382716

View attachment 382717

Try a few more loads different bullets. If you can't get it to what you what trade or sell it and get your TH-10.

$23 for 100

Might give them a shot. Load up low pressure mid and maximum pressure loads amd see how they do.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

View attachment 382715

View attachment 382716

View attachment 382717

So, you did something that you said you'd never do. Then have issues again. Then state you're going to replace the problem with another.....Taurus?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    So, you did something that you said you'd never do. Then have issues again. Then state you're going to replace the problem with another.....Taurus?
    Didn't state anything. Just considering options. I typically have one gun in the collection that's kind of a testing & evaluation piece. It's not something that I use in any serious role (I have plenty of vetted stuff for that)...just kind of a project. If it works out that I like it and it fills a niche, I may keep it...if not, it moves on to make room for the next little project. It's just my way of trying different stuff and keeping the hobby interesting.

Even if I don't end up keeping this gun, my time with it has been useful in a few ways. Every Taurus I've owned in the past has been non-functional garbage, but mechanically this one is pretty good. So I now have some first-hand experience with a Taurus that works. I also got to spend some time familiarizing myself with the internals, which is not something I'd done with my previous Taurus, as it was years ago and I had no experience or confidence to undertake that sort of thing.

Taurus has made some corporate changes in recent years, to supposedly include improved quality control. Their current product line includes some interesting stuff, at least on paper (the 450 is not one of those...it was discontinued in 2002, so it's definitely "Old Taurus"). They're doing things that nobody else is doing. They have a few things that I want to try, the TH10 (relatively compact, polymer-framed, DA/SA 10mm) being one of them. I'm not buying this stuff necessarily expecting it to be wonderful, it's just a way to put hands on it and actually try it for myself.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Didn't state anything. Just considering options. I typically have one gun in the collection that's kind of a testing & evaluation piece. It's not something that I use in any serious role (I have plenty of vetted stuff for that)...just kind of a project. If it works out that I like it and it fills a niche, I may keep it...if not, it moves on to make room for the next little project. It's just my way of trying different stuff and keeping the hobby interesting.

Even if I don't end up keeping this gun, my time with it has been useful in a few ways. Every Taurus I've owned in the past has been non-functional garbage, but mechanically this one is pretty good. So I now have some first-hand experience with a Taurus that works. I also got to spend some time familiarizing myself with the internals, which is not something I'd done with my previous Taurus, as it was years ago and I had no experience or confidence to undertake that sort of thing.

Taurus has made some corporate changes in recent years, to supposedly include improved quality control. Their current product line includes some interesting stuff, at least on paper (the 450 is not one of those...it was discontinued in 2002, so it's definitely "Old Taurus"). They're doing things that nobody else is doing. They have a few things that I want to try, the TH10 (relatively compact, polymer-framed, DA/SA 10mm) being one of them. I'm not buying this stuff necessarily expecting it to be wonderful, it's just a way to put hands on it and actually try it for myself.
    I was thinking maybe call Taurus up ask them about it. Maybe they might be able to fix it or replace it if possible.

Top Bottom