I Checked My Glock at the Airport...Disaster!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    It was a breeze, she had me sign the orange tag, set the combination so they could check it and said she'd close/spin the number when TSA was done. She placed my baggage claim sticker on the back of my ticket, I thanked her for making this so easy and boarded my plane.
    Actually, you should have left it locked. If they want to check it, they are supposed to come get you
    Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I fly around some and take my gun to states where i'm legal. It's no big deal to check in with one.

South Bend is a breeze. Never even do any added checks when I leave there. They do the inspection, the orange card and on to the baggage conveyor. Never had any TSA contact in SBN.

Bigger airports have me take it to a special TSA place for an inspection of the bag and firearm.

I started checking my baggage claim tags when check-in kiosks were implemented. Too easy for the ticket agents to screw it up when they're dealing with multiple baggage tags from multiple passengers.

To the OP, you should have claimed the bag you had a ticket for. Might have had a nice Kimber or something in it.;)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I had a TSA agent here in Indianapolis tell me I should use a TSA lock on the case for my gun so they can open it to inspect. I said, "If you want to look at it, you can do so in my presence after letting me know that you wish to do so."

They didn't want to me watch them open it [Houston and Denver had no issues with this] - not sure why. Maybe they wanted to coonfinger it?

He told me it would save me an inconvenience by putting a TSA lock on it and I said, "I planned upon being inconvenienced by the TSA."

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I had a TSA agent here in Indianapolis tell me I should use a TSA lock on the case for my gun so they can open it to inspect. I said, "If you want to look at it, you can do so in my presence after letting me know that you wish to do so."

They didn't want to me watch them open it [Houston and Denver had no issues with this] - not sure why. Maybe they wanted to coonfinger it?

He told me it would save me an inconvenience by putting a TSA lock on it and I said, "I planned upon being inconvenienced by the TSA."

Isn't that their only reason for existence anyway? :dunno:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Mike,

That's completely wrong. You use your lock and have to be the only person with a key. What they told you is just plain wrong. If TSA wants to see it, they will come to the gate and find you. They can only open it in your presence.

Go to the TSA site and print the instructions and do the same at the airline's web site. I carry these rules on me and also put copies of them in my guncase and my suitcase.

Top Bottom