• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I called and asked him to call me. They said that is not going to happen and what was your message.

I told him that it is time for Lugar to retire and not run again. I've not voted from him for 12 years past and will not do so in the future.

They young man proceded to tear me a new one on my speaker phone for two minutes.

Its time for new blood in the office and he should move on. The man told me Lugar is full of energy and sharp as a tack......

So we need to get some new blood to knock him off at the next primary.....He is so out of touch.....

Either we defeat him or he will die in office..........:xmad:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've written and emailed his office several times asking that he resign because he no longer represents mainstream Republican values, because of specific votes he has cast that are contrary to the rest of the party, and simply because I think he's a RINO jack***. Funny thing but he won't respond to my requests, despite the fact that I am polite in my request. I think he may object, however, when I sign off by referring to him as a doddering old fool.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I told them I was done with him and would be actively against him after he helped block that carry permit reciprocity bill.

Ringmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Yup. I guess I'm a doddering old fool too. I've known (personally) Dick Lugar since he was mayor of Indy and I know him to be a sincere and dedicated public servant. Look in the mirror and ask what you've done for Indiana or the country. I know it will not measure up to what he's done. And no, I don't agree with his every policy or decision, nor do I require explanations when we don't agree. That's part of being an adult.

I probably won't vote for him next time, but that's because I have made a rational decision based on careful evaluations of who I want representing me and current examinations of his voting history -- not hot-headed one-issue rants based on age and your own inexperience. In short, your vote should go to one whose knowledge and experience exceeds yours in working in a system you obviously do not fully understand to better your position in society.

But you have to understand that to have it work for you.

Your post clearly shows you haven't made it there yet.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I emailed Dick several months back an told him after his vote for judge Sotomayor to consider himself fired. She voted against white fireman that were more qualified than the minoritys they worked with...it went to the supreme court an ALL 9 judges ruled against her, told him she was not qualified for that job because she lacked common sense...told Dick I wasn't writing because I wanted his response, but just to let him know I wouldn't be voting for him ever.....he's fired....Dick didn't get the message because he emailed me back, or perhaps it was one of his loyal followers, sayinf he appreciated my email an concern but he voted for her because she was qualfied. Bonehead just doesn't get it....(D) in (R) clothes.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yup. I guess I'm a doddering old fool too. I've known (personally) Dick Lugar since he was mayor of Indy and I know him to be a sincere and dedicated public servant. Look in the mirror and ask what you've done for Indiana or the country. I know it will not measure up to what he's done. And no, I don't agree with his every policy or decision, nor do I require explanations when we don't agree. That's part of being an adult.

I probably won't vote for him next time, but that's because I have made a rational decision based on careful evaluations of who I want representing me and current examinations of his voting history -- not hot-headed one-issue rants based on age and your own inexperience. In short, your vote should go to one whose knowledge and experience exceeds yours in working in a system you obviously do not fully understand to better your position in society.

I've not known DICK for as long as you, but I met him for the first of many times in the 1970's and used to jog with him while I was at college (he'd come to my fraternity at Wabash College and jog with a group of us). I liked him back then. I've been in his office, talked with him about issues of which we both agreed, and I've seen he is no longer what he was.

He's changed, he's become a died in the wool moderate who stands for nothing and compromises on everything. In fact as I've watched his career he's grown more liberal and is more than willing to disregard those policies and core beliefs that define the party he mistakenly and deceptively claims to represent.

You offer up some back handed insults, but you make assumptions that people who now oppose DICK are hot headed or inexperienced or have contributed little or nothing to society. Your assumptions are wrong, my career is long and full of public service, others here may be younger than me, but I know many of them are rational, level headed, and public minded.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County

Ha! I know for a fact I've done more. :ar15:

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    I've sent him two letters telling him he has lost his effectiveness and should retire. His anti-gun vote has cost him immeasurable support. I got a canned response thanking me for my input and included a 4 page printed text of his latest speech.

What a nimrod..DUMP THE DICK!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Yup. I guess I'm a doddering old fool too.
    I lost my health in the Persian Gulf. Mr. Lugar doesn't compare to what I have given, IMO.

I, too, have written and asked Mr. Lugar to resign for being out of touch with his constituents, at least the ones that I am familiar with. The ones I am familiar with say that his voting record does not reflect the representative that they want.

Personally, I have several reasons for disliking Mr. Lugar. His actions in the last year keep adding reasons to my list.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I also have written the Dick and asked that he step down for the good of the state. No reply, so far, but I don't really expect one. Years ago he was a great senator and I happily voted for him. Unfortunately, like some past athletes, he has stayed in the "game" too long and is now becoming an embarrassment.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Though I don't know Lugar on a personal level like Ringmaster or Melensdad do, I first voted for Lugar in the 1976 election.
    I even continued to vote for him after I learned in 1979-80ish from a very RELIABLE source in his Mayoral administration that at least during the time Lugar was Mayor of Indianapolis he led a double life.
    Though a case can be made that it's not my business what a man does in his private life with another man, as I've gotten older I've wondered whether this secret has made him vulnerable in terms of the votes he's taken over the years?
    It wasn't until the 1990's when his hard core anti 2nd Amendment stance became apparent by his anti gun votes that I realized Lugar is not really a conservative (as he hopes we'll believe by not looking too closely at his record), but is actually left of center.
    I didn't vote for him in 1994 and haven't since.
    His more recent votes to confirm Kagan and Sotomayor for the Supreme Court, his left of center position on ILLEGAL immigration, and just reading through some of the bills he's sponsored and co-sponsored show a Senator who has a left of center, more small "d" democratic view than small "r" republican view of the world.
    Additionally, I know someone who's family has had personal interaction over the years with him who many years ago told me that Lugar said he believed in term limits and wouldn't serve more than 2 terms as Senator.
    So by voting for him in 1988, I helped him break his promise.
    Now I hear he's going to run for President in 2012.
    I will not vote for him, and I haven't since it became apparent he doesn't represent my interests.

Last edited:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I too, sent him an e-mail telling him that I had voted for him in every election but after the Sotomayer endorsement, he would never get my vote again.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

Though I don't know Lugar on a personal level like Ringmaster or Melensdad do, I first voted for Lugar in the 1976 election.
    I even continued to vote for him after I learned in 1979-80ish from a very RELIABLE source in his Mayoral administration that at least during the time Lugar was Mayor of Indianapolis he led a double life.
    Though a case can be made that it's not my business what a man does in his private life, as I've gotten older I've wondered whether this secret has made him vulnerable in terms of the votes he's taken over the years?
    It wasn't until the 1990's when his hard core anti 2nd Amendment stance became apparent by his anti gun votes that I realized Lugar is not really a conservative (as he hopes we'll believe by not looking too closely at his record), but is actually left of center.
    I didn't vote for him in 1994 and haven't since.
    His more recent votes to confirm Kagan and Sotomayor for the Supreme Court, his left of center position on ILLEGAL immigration, and just reading through some of the bills he's sponsored and co-sponsored show a Senator who has a left of center, more small "d" democratic view than small "r" republican view of the world.
    Additionally, I know someone who's family has had personal interaction over the years with him who many years ago told me that Lugar said he believed in term limits and wouldn't serve more than 2 terms as Senator.
    So by voting for him in 1988, I helped him break his promise.
    Now I hear he's going to run for President in 2012.
    I will not vote for him, and I haven't since it became apparent he doesn't represent my interests.

Ed Porch is Correct and RingMaster Must be a Lugar Staffer. Lugar has done nothing that didn't benefit Dick or his Liberal friends. Currently, he his closer to Obama than to other members of his own party.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I still say he is showing signs of mental decline, maybe nature will take its course and he will not have a choice. But then again, Julia Carson lingered for years on meds and was ....oh never mind.

The local press holds back stories on Dick just like they do on Evan.....

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I probably won't vote for him next time, but that's because I have made a rational decision based on careful evaluations of who I want representing me and current examinations of his voting history -- not hot-headed one-issue rants based on age and your own inexperience..
    So let's see if I got this straight. If WE are against him it is because of age discrimination and knee-jerk, single issue reactions? However, if YOU have decided to vote against him it is "rational' and "based on careful examination?" :n00b::noway:

Nice talking to you!

Top Bottom