• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Have always wanted to hunt but have not had the freezer space or time. Our three year old son loves being in the woods and think in the next few years he MAY be old enough to go hunting with me. We also have another son on the way and my wife loves the woods only so I need to stop making excuses...

I don't have a truck, do t want to get one just for hunting really.

Does anyone partially butcher deer in the field then load it into coolers for a car ride home or????

The goal is to try and go out this deer season to learn, may try and pick up a nitromag 12 gauge... Would like to turkey hunt at some point.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've transported plenty of deer in ice chests using a variety of modes of transport. Airplanes, truck beds, boats, UTVs, ATVs, probably a wheelbarrow or two. Less the ice chest on backpacks, in meat bags slung over my shoulder, once even one of those 2 wheel game carts though never again because I felt like a woodland rickshaw pilot.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I will be stuffing one in the trunk of my Jetta providing everything goes as planned. If you will be taking the whole family with, you might consider a hitch for your car and one of those racks to bring the critter home on. That will give you room in the trunk for gear. I think a cooler is unnecessary unless you are traveling with your kill. Good luck.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Tarp in the truck works.

A lot of guys who hunt at work and have a long commute with small cars get one of those trailer hitch cargo carriers.

With the new Check IN system, you can do exactly has you said, quarter and transport in coolers.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I remember a kid back in high school that just loaded his deer up in the cargo area of his Explorer. A few times he must have forgotten his tarp as it looked like a bit of a crime scene back there and it didn't smell the best. Go with a tarp and you're fine or if you wanted, the hitch and a carrier would work fine. Good thing about some of the hitch mounted carriers is that you can use it for other purposes as well.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    yes on getting the hitch and hitch rack... My parents mounted on on the back of a minivan one time... worked out pretty well.

Good luck with the hunt!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know folks to put the carriers on their trucks, don't have to lift that monster buck as high!

Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in the same boat and was planning on just roping a deer to the top of the trunk if I'm fortunate enough to get one. I know it'd look redneck as could be, but I can't justify buying a truck just to transport a deer I may or may not shoot. I also can't really see me getting a deer wrapped up in a tarp and into the truck of my little chevy without spilling some blood & guts some where in the back. I'd rather just have to hose off the lid of the trunk and look like a redneck.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Redneck style: Tarp over trunk lid secured with small bungees/paracord. Take car to carwash after transport. No mess in trunk. Been there twice with a 1994 Olds 88. Heat and music on after hunt on way to check in. (car is beater anyway, but clean inside)

Top Bottom