• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am city born and raised. My father grew up hunting on the farm and in the hills of central Tennessee but after moving to Indiana he was not able to continue the sport. So, I never learned to hunt or fish.

A month or two ago I asked about where one can actually hunt in Indiana. The general response was "Go meet some farmers, get to know them and ask for permission to hunt on their land." I found it remarkable that at the same time there were active threads on what it means when a gate is closed and how land owners react to strangers opening the gate and driving up to the house (general answer was to grab a gun and run the trespassers off private property), or what one should do when a wounded deer runs onto the neighbor's land (consensus was not to cross on to the neighbor's land, and the land owners consistently said they would meet hunters in pursuit of wounded deer with their own weapons in hand and run them off). I concluded that Indiana farmers were not interested in meeting new city boys who are looking for places to hunt.

Today, I came across this article:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LINE?SITE=VTBEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

What is available in Indiana to help novices learn to hunt? Is this something the 12,000 :ingo: members could address? There are many expert and experienced hunters in our membership. Could :ingo: help organize a training program? Are there programs already in existence that will train the novice to hunt? (I know about the Indiana hunting course at <http://my.hunter-ed.com/course> but completion of that course will not leave one ready to go into the field to hunt anything. Novices need training about equipment, methods, etc. on site, not just on-line.

If something is not provided, fewer and fewer will continue to hunt. Of course, this may be what the hunting community desires. Fewer hunters means greater opportunity for those who do hunt.

So, where do Hoosiers learn to hunt? Where do they hunt once they learn? Interesting question for this city boy.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    No better time to learn than right now.

Do you have a hunting license?

Do you have a muzzle loader? If you want to hunt deer the only season open right now is archery and muzzle loaders.

I see this type question posted over and over and over on this board and others. Just like there's no place to hunt.

Then you find they don't have a license.
    They don't have a gun.
    That's too far.
    That's too early.
    I've got to work that day.
    It's too cold.
    It's too dangerous, I only hunt private ground.
    I hunted all day one time and didn't see any deer, are you sure there's one there?

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    There is a ton of public land. It might not be as nice as private land if there are a bunch of morons but you don't need private land to hunt. You don't need someone to teach you(it helps but you don't NEED it). The reason I didn't hunt this year is because I was lazy getting everything around so I didn't buy a license but I spent time I would've been hunting working on papers and studying, which is something I actually needed to be doing. There are few things better than being in the woods even when you don't have a shot or even see a deer. As far as hunters wanting fewer new hunters, I don't think that is true. Hunters with private land want people without permission to stay off their land. Hunters with private land don't want people they don't know showing up and asking for permission to hunt especially after giving permission to 1 person and 10 show up leaving trash. The guys I know have no problem letting people on their land if they know they're going to be respectful to the land and the land owner. The guys I know won't just give permission because you show up and ask, most will want something in return and that could be as simple as helping a few weekends cleaning up trash in the woods or maybe helping cut some trees.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No better time to learn than right now.

Do you have a hunting license?

Do you have a muzzle loader? If you want to hunt deer the only season open right now is archery and muzzle loaders.

I see this type question posted over and over and over on this board and others. Just like there's no place to hunt.

Then you find they don't have a license.
    They don't have a gun.
    That's too far.
    That's too early.
    I've got to work that day.
    It's too cold.
    It's too dangerous, I only hunt private ground.
    I hunted all day one time and didn't see any deer, are you sure there's one there?

I am working on getting the license. I have a serviceable shotgun, and am working on obtaining a pistol caliber carbine. I am practicing shooting with a Ruger 10/22. My aim is to be ready to go next year. At this point, I would not want to go hunting with me. I am very aware of what I do not know.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_wheretohunt.pdf Indiana DNR website is a great place to learn.

Don't think I have seen many driveways that have gates across them out in the country.

I have not seen too many gates either, but I read a lot of posts on :ingo: about grabbing the shotgun when a stranger drives up the lane. They did not give me the impression that strangers were welcomed under any conditions.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am working on getting the license. I have a serviceable shotgun, and am working on obtaining a pistol caliber carbine. I am practicing shooting with a Ruger 10/22. My aim is to be ready to go next year. At this point, I would not want to go hunting with me. I am very aware of what I do not know.

That's the perfect place to start then right now.

"Next year" is just about the worst. See the list above and just ad "next year" at the bottom of it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Not familar with the area around Ft. Wayne but there is an abundance of public ground in the south. Get on the back roads going through the HNF and plan on camping a few days. Remember that there is a lot of private ground mixed in with the HNF, it's not just one big parcel, so be mindful of signs and fences.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    Lots of public land to hunt , learn how to shoot a bow and you can have most of the public land to hunt to yourself , its alot more enjoyable and can be vey productive.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If the drive to hunt is in you, you will find a way. Everything about the way I learned to hunt, fish and run dogs is atypical of most. However, i was taught the gun.

You seem to have the gun part covered. Get the Hunter Education Course under your belt. Head out to public land. Late season hunting in Indiana is great and you will be alone or less crowded. Pick a species and go hunt it. Rabbit, Squirrel, Fox or Coyote.

As I said yesterday to my GF, hunting is not killing. A lot of times it just looks like a stroll in the woods.

Frankly, I think the easiest way to get in the field is with hunters who run dogs. Be it Rabbit, Pheasant, Quail or Coon. Private game preserves run until spring. I have hunted with more "new to me hunters" over my Dog than any other situation, and I was first exposed to hunting by running with the dogs as a kid.

Once you start, you will meet more and more hunters. See and get more and more opportunities. Buy good maps like a delorme gazzeteer for Indiana.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I was in a similar boat several years ago when I started to get into hunting.

When I was a teenager some men from my church took me hunting a few times and planted that seed. Years later now I'm doing the same.

The first few times I decided to go hunting it was frustrating. I soon learned hunting was more about pursuit and planning (the hunt) than shooting an animal. There's a weedout system in that regard, in addition to having to obtain an educational certificate. One young man I took hunting thought "ah - well, there are squirrels all over the place in my urban neighborhood - should be easy to just walk in the woods and shoot one".

Most "city folk" (such as myself) have an initial culture shock in that regard.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Strangers coming up my driveway (and yes, the gate is usually closed) and I do have a weapon ready. But if they are polite and respectful and don't give off creepy vibes, I warm up to them. I've never turned away someone who came up and asked if they could hunt and demonstrated that they had respect for me, my land, and their hunting. But in the 20+ years I've owned the land want to know how many people I've had come up and ask? 1. Know how many people I've run off the property hunting without permission? Dozens. Several friends hunt my place including a couple of INGO members.

I'm also going to agree with Jack on another point. I've made numerous public offers to folks here on INGO who have "always wanted" to shoot a .50bmg, or to try a particular unusual gun, etc. The answer is almost always that "it's too far away". I guess they must not want something that much if a couple hours drive time is too much to do to spend some time shooting something they've "always" wanted to do.

Hunting may be a dying sport, but it's not because of a lack of places to hunt or unfriendly landowners, it's because the average person wants things handed to them and the thought of actually expending some effort to do it seems to make it less appealing. There's lots of folks out there who'd love to teach someone how to hunt, but it's going to take some effort to find them and then cultivate the friendship that allows that to happen. I do a lot of caving and I spend a lot of time and effort cultivating the relationships I have with landowners to help ensure I have places to go. I get people who tell me "gee you're lucky to have so much land!" when it wasn't luck, it was because it was something I really wanted and was willing to work for it. I know I can reliably hit any target I can see, not because I'm a natural good shot, but because I was willing to work to get to that point.

I'm not trying to slam on you Bapak2ja, but it is a complaint that gets old to those of us who put in a lot of work to do the things we enjoy.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Strangers coming up my driveway (and yes, the gate is usually closed) and I do have a weapon ready. But if they are polite and respectful and don't give off creepy vibes, I warm up to them. I've never turned away someone who came up and asked if they could hunt and demonstrated that they had respect for me, my land, and their hunting. But in the 20+ years I've owned the land want to know how many people I've had come up and ask? 1. Know how many people I've run off the property hunting without permission? Dozens. Several friends hunt my place including a couple of INGO members.

I'm also going to agree with Jack on another point. I've made numerous public offers to folks here on INGO who have "always wanted" to shoot a .50bmg, or to try a particular unusual gun, etc. The answer is almost always that "it's too far away". I guess they must not want something that much if a couple hours drive time is too much to do to spend some time shooting something they've "always" wanted to do.

Hunting may be a dying sport, but it's not because of a lack of places to hunt or unfriendly landowners, it's because the average person wants things handed to them and the thought of actually expending some effort to do it seems to make it less appealing. There's lots of folks out there who'd love to teach someone how to hunt, but it's going to take some effort to find them and then cultivate the friendship that allows that to happen. I do a lot of caving and I spend a lot of time and effort cultivating the relationships I have with landowners to help ensure I have places to go. I get people who tell me "gee you're lucky to have so much land!" when it wasn't luck, it was because it was something I really wanted and was willing to work for it. I know I can reliably hit any target I can see, not because I'm a natural good shot, but because I was willing to work to get to that point.

I'm not trying to slam on you Bapak2ja, but it is a complaint that gets old to those of us who put in a lot of work to do the things we enjoy.
    I completely agree with your whole post! but I stood up and applauded when I read the bold! I'm gonna be down at POC's this coming weekend, and I'd love the opportunity to meet you! just don't shoot me!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Hunting may be a dying sport, but it's not because of a lack of places to hunt or unfriendly landowners, it's because the average person wants things handed to them
    I took a guy I never knew hunting two days in a row. Each day with one of his two sons. He drove 800 miles to do it.

He worked with my Brother in VA, was stuck having to go to New Albany for the Holidays to visit in-laws for a whole week. My Brother "brokered the deal." My Dog and I met him each day at Lost River Game Farm. I drove 200 miles round trip each day.

Each of his city living boys got to go on their first hunting trip. I was able to share in it with them. The hunts were great, the boys well behaved and the Dad a class act. One day it snowed, one day was warm and we stuck his truck in the mud and I half burried mine pulling him out.

I have not thought about that experience in a long time. I think we would argue who got the most out of it.

Birds of a feather, just by posting here opportunites will arise and just keep telling everyone you know. Ask moderator Shooter521 about his Dove hunting prowess and lost knife. We met throguh ARFCOM.

I agree, when the chance comes, you gotta grab the offer. If you ever end up in Racine WI, I will take you with me.

Which reminds me, I have to go hit my good buddy and sponsor here on INGO, Ron at TacticalShotgunners.com for the contatct info of his friend here in Racine. We are all on Facebook.

Hunters, the original social networkers!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If the drive to hunt is in you, you will find a way. Everything about the way I learned to hunt, fish and run dogs is atypical of most. However, i was taught the gun.

You seem to have the gun part covered. Get the Hunter Education Course under your belt. Head out to public land. Late season hunting in Indiana is great and you will be alone or less crowded. Pick a species and go hunt it. Rabbit, Squirrel, Fox or Coyote.

As I said yesterday to my GF, hunting is not killing. A lot of times it just looks like a stroll in the woods.

Frankly, I think the easiest way to get in the field is with hunters who run dogs. Be it Rabbit, Pheasant, Quail or Coon. Private game preserves run until spring. I have hunted with more "new to me hunters" over my Dog than any other situation, and I was first exposed to hunting by running with the dogs as a kid.

Once you start, you will meet more and more hunters. See and get more and more opportunities. Buy good maps like a delorme gazzeteer for Indiana.

Thanks.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Plenty of places to hunt on public land if you willing to walk 30 - 40 minutes you can get in a pretty secluded spot. As far as classes on "how to hunt" I am not sure if you could get a lot of interest for folks to attend. Best bet is find someone like Jack. Or any hunter with expereince and willing to mentor. I used to hunt a lot before I went in the Marines, then I got out and not so much. Now my son has come to age and he is really into it. I am not the best deer hunter but I will teach him and we had fun this winter even though the one we shot could not be found.

Going to a hunter education class is better then taking it online. You get to meet some experinced hunters who are teaching. You can ask specific questions about gear and weapons. FCVCC will do a couple every year.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont think hunting is really somthing that can be taught in a class room. a mentor would be a big help but besides that just going out and trying x and saying "well that didn't work out how i had planned" is the best classroom

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Getting a mentor is the way to go. I did not do it that way, really. I got into hunting as an adult. I found there to be a steep learning curve, as the OP recognizes. I hunted deer for a couple years with every weapon before I killed anything, and spent a ton of hours in the woods. Hunting magazines and shows and the deer taught me how to hunt. I just finished butchering my 8th deer of the year. You can do it, but you gotta want it.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Thanks, folks, for the constructive information. I'm just getting into hunting and have had, apparently unsuprisingly, little success in spotting anything much less shooting.

I may be heading out with a friend and his spare muzzleloader this week to see if any deer are moving.

I too didn't grow up hunting, but I'm looking at this as a way to put some food on the table and assuming I learn anything, teach my 6 y.o. son.

I am, at least, blessed with awesome in-laws who have a decent amount of land in Franklin County, so that's a big part of the battle. Oh, and a good selection of armament as well to practice with.

Doug

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Those are not detailed enough to use in HNF or MSF.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom