Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    genthumb.ashx
    genthumb.ashx

Police: Deer Hunter Shoots College Students, Killing One

Ferrum, VA-- The Department of Game & Inland Fisheries say a man hunting deer shot two people Tuesday killing one. Both victims are students at Ferrum College.

The shooting happened near the college on County owned property. According to investigators, the student killed was 23 year old Jessica Goode. They say she took a direct shot to her chest while walking with Regis Boudinot who was shot in the arm by the same bullet. Boudinot was treated from and released from an area hospital.

A person speaking on behalf of Ferrum College confirmed last night a student was shot by a Franklin County man who mistook the student for a deer. She said the students were walking through some woods when the shooting occurred.

The students had been in the woods working on a science project. "When the blast went off he said she looked at him and said 'I'm going to die,' and she collapsed before he could do anything and she died almost instantly," said Kimberly Boudinot, Regis' stepmom.

Tuesday night, Ferrum College released this statement in regards to the shooting:

"All of us on the Ferrum College campus are deeply saddened over the tragic death of a Ferrum student late this afternoon in a hunting accident. We ask for everyone's prayers for the families affected by this terrible event. The College community is in mourning over the loss of a beloved member of our Ferrum family. A campus prayer service will be held for the campus community in Vaughn Chapel Wednesday morning, at 10:00 a.m."

Jason Cloutier of Ferrum has been charged in the incident. Officials say he was hunting on county owned property where hunting is not allowed. He had a first appearance Wednesday morning on charges of: manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm and trespassing.

Cloutier posted his $20,000 bond Wednesday morning and was released from jail.

Story correction: A Virginia official told WFMY News 2 today, that only two students were shot. She said other students were in the area but only the Goode and Boudinot were hit.

The Conservation Police Officers with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries are investigating the incident.

WDBJ, our CBS partner in Roanoke, VA has been following the case. Get the latest including Jason Cloutier's Wednesday morning court appearance.

Stay tuned to WFMY News 2 at 5pm and digtriad for updates on this story.

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    This is terrible...But.
    Between you, I and whom ever else.
    In the 35 years I have been hunting with firearms or other means in the woods, swamps, cornfields or mountains all over this country.
    If folks are wearing the proper law abiding clothing...
    I cannot ever understand how some one can mistake a "Human" or any figured form of a human as any type of game.

With that said..
    One who commits this so called accidental act should be tried for 3rd degree murder or a greater penalty.

Thats is my 2cents...

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm not a hunter and I've only ever been hunting twice in my life. One time in particular when I was young we were rabbit hunting and I couldn't wait to see one and shoot my gun. When we kicked up a rabbit I fired before I even knew what it was! I think this happens a lot. Some people will just shoot at anything that moves.

My friends dad was grazed in the arm about 8 years ago and the scary part is he said he heard another go by his head. The two guys who shot at him were never penalized.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Officials say he was hunting on county owned property where hunting is not allowed.

He should be charged with murder. The students had no reason to worry about wearing bright orange as they were on protected property, which unfortunately shows that laws don't work as long as there are stupid people willing to ignore them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If folks are wearing the proper law abiding clothing...

Surely I misread this, Big, you're not blaming the victims, are you?

I cannot ever understand how some one can mistake a "Human" or any figured form of a human as any type of game.

I think we can understand when in context of how many conversations have we heard at the gun shop of "hunters" shooting at noises or shadows. "I thought it was a deer, so I done shot", "I couldn't see, but I shot just in case" Simply terrifying.

The phrase "if it's brown it's down" sends fear down my spine. Umm, what if someone is wearing a brown coat?

We must police ourselves and make it clear that being trigger happy is unacceptable. Slob hunting must be eradicated.

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    Verify-Verify-Verify
    If unsure of your target, Do Not Shoot!
    I also can't see how anyone could mistake a person for a deer.
    I guess there are those who just shoot at any movement and hope for the best:n00b:.
    IMO there is nothing "accidental" about this......

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Surely I misread this, Big, you're not blaming the victims, are you?

I think we can understand when in context of how many conversations have we heard at the gun shop of "hunters" shooting at noises or shadows. "I thought it was a deer, so I done shot", "I couldn't see, but I shot just in case" Simply terrifying.

The phrase "if it's brown it's down" sends fear down my spine. Umm, what if someone is wearing a brown coat?

We must police ourselves and make it clear that being trigger happy is unacceptable. Slob hunting must be eradicated.
    If it was found an accident then yes they are to be of blame some what if proper clothing was not apparent according to law. Then again you have to be a fool to walk in the woods etc... During any hunting season without it.

Hence though when it comes down to the brass tacks...The shooter is the one whom is solely responsible for the for the commited act.

Policing firearm handling is a no brainer if you ask me.
    Firearm safety is "#1" always.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen

+1 on this. I have been hunting for many years and have never seen anything that looked like a deer except for deer.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If it was found an accident then yes they are to be of blame some what if proper clothing was not apparent according to law. Then again you have to be a fool to walk in the woods etc... During any hunting season without it.

Gotta go the other way here (if I get what you are saying). I hunted mostly on private land in the past. The farmers that weren't hunters didn't own hunter orange. I had to be ready for them to show up in their brown Carharts at any time. There is no law for non-hunters to wear orange. And they certainly can walk in their own woods stark naked if they want. So yes I have sent fat guys in brown and they still didn't look like a deer.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

Officials say he was hunting on county owned property where hunting is not allowed.
    :noway: I don't understand how you can place any blame on the students, as the area in which they were walking was clearly a "no hunting zone".
    I'm restraining myself from giving you a negative rep...

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home

Hence though when it comes down to the brass tacks...The shooter is the one whom is solely responsible for the for the commited act.

You're still missing the point. County owned property isn't hunting ground. The law forbids it. That's like blaming someone for standing in the way of an oncoming vehicle when they're on the sidewalk.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County

That is a pretty dumb statement. They shouldnt of had to worry about being shot at. Where then wasnt suppose to be any hunting going on that property. It was against the law for him to be hunting there. I hope they charge him with murder. Because if he wasnt breaking the law by hunting there than that girl would still be alive.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    People who aren't hunting aren't obligated by regs to wear orange, in VA, so there is no question as to the legality of their clothing.

Top Bottom