• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Now, this is an alternative fuel that I can get down with.

Using bacteria to convernt cellulose directly to butanol.

http://summitcountyvoice.com/2011/08/29/old-newspapers-could-be-converted-to-biofuel/

The bacteria is being called TU-103.

There are other aerobic and anerobic digesters currently being used to produce "biogas" which is anything from methane to butanol.

The Fair Oaks dairy is the only operation I'm familure with that does so in order to be fully independant.

Very cool stuff. This is the kind of technology that will prove to be a point of singularity in Energy production.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Now, this is an alternative fuel that I can get down with.

Using bacteria to convernt cellulose directly to butanol.

http://summitcountyvoice.com/2011/08/29/old-newspapers-could-be-converted-to-biofuel/

The bacteria is being called TU-103.

There are other aerobic and anerobic digesters currently being used to produce "biogas" which is anything from methane to butanol.

The Fair Oaks dairy is the only operation I'm familure with that does so in order to be fully independant.

Very cool stuff. This is the kind of technology that will prove to be a point of singularity in Energy production.

Got any idea what the octane rating of butanol is compared to gasoline or diesel fuel? One of the reasons alternative energy programs aren't taking off for transportation needs is that none of them - so far - provides equivalent energy compared to the cost of production. Butanol may be a partial solution, if it works on garbage and can be competitive with petroleum based fuels.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I have been following this for while.

It can actually be ran in all gas engines now with no conversion, not just the E85 engines but every gas engine made.

BP is spending big money on this right now. they are actually sponsoring a race team to run completely on the stuff to help nail down the formula with the best results.

It can also be made in the exact same factories that make ethanol currently, since butanol is a byproduct and you get more butanol then you do ethanol out of the same procedure.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    It can also be made in the exact same factories that make ethanol currently, since butanol is a byproduct and you get more butanol then you do ethanol out of the same procedure.

Good, because ethanol is a joke, and just another reason why lobbyists should be banned from Washington.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I was reading something awhile ago that they are have great results with corn chaff, not the kernels but the cobs, leafs, stalks, husks, etc. at making large quantities of butanol.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Got any idea what the octane rating of butanol is compared to gasoline or diesel fuel? One of the reasons alternative energy programs aren't taking off for transportation needs is that none of them - so far - provides equivalent energy compared to the cost of production. Butanol may be a partial solution, if it works on garbage and can be competitive with petroleum based fuels.

Octane rating is the measure of detonation-ability. Octane is the actual name for the commercial product called gasoline. Your useless facts for the day...

What we're looking for here is energy density, since everyone is going to want to know miles per gallon compared to gasoline.

I say, who cares. We're making fuel out of garbage without using any energy to do so. All that's required is conditions to keep the bacteria alive.

However, compared to gasoline butanol has an energy density of roughly 4/5, and requires an AFR of 11.2 (however it can be safely run in a lean condition)

One of the big advantages over ethanol is that it does not absorb water as readily, which is good for storage and your seals.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, butanol is a MUCH better choice than ethanol for a fossil-fuel replacement. Higher energy content, little-to-no conversion for any current IC engines, and no pesky ATF rules. "Octane" is about the same as regular gas (87-ish).

If I remember correctly, Butanol is also a tad toxic. Surely no worse than gasoline, though.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Collecting methane from naturally decomposing manure (which is what they were doing in Mad Max, to the best of my recollection) is not nearly as efficient as a digester.

Currently, using Mad Max tech, we collect methane from naturally decomposing material in landfills. They typically just vent it so that the landfills don't blow up, but recently industry has been collecting it to run turbines and generate electricity. Since landfills are normally situated near industrial areas, this works out pretty well.

This is a big step forward as it really speeds up the process of breaking down waste material into a readily usable fuel.

Methane gas at room temp and pressure really isn't that impressive. You need to compress it or liquify it to really start to see any measurable improvement over the statis quo.

Butanol is already a liquid and has a fairly high energy density compared with gasoline. So, that kills the tranporation issue and fuel economy birds with one stone.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How many times have we read stories like this only to never see them come to fruition? I guess I'm getting too cynical, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to see some figures on cost/gallon to the consumer compared to gas and diesel. There's got to be a catch (or two). I hope it works out, but I'm not getting too excited just yet.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How many times have we read stories like this only to never see them come to fruition? I guess I'm getting too cynical, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to see some figures on cost/gallon to the consumer compared to gas and diesel. There's got to be a catch (or two). I hope it works out, but I'm not getting too excited just yet.
    Current Butanol production is in the $4 / gallon price range. The process linked in the OP could drastically reduce the cost. For instance, DuPont is targeting under $40 per BARREL once production ramps up. That is with existing technology in existing production facilities.

We need to remove the roadblocks that are holding innovation back. Corn subsidies and outrageous EPA restrictions, as well as the auto industries love affair with ethanol aren't encouraging folks to look at new tech.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is great for the DIY or prepper too. No more squeezing oil out of soy beans, no cooking corn for ethanol.

You just dump all your trash into the butanol vat and voila!! Instant fuel.

Hell, you can probably put bad guys and all kinds of other "unwanted" stuff in there and turn it into fuel too.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    mr-fusion.jpg

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It's a Farce! Lobbyists from the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, LA Times, and the Chicago papers are behind this. They are trying to increase their sales, which have slumped horribly since wide spread use of Uncle Al's Internet Thingy has taken off.! Just another hidden Government Subsidy being handed out to the liberal lap dogs. :D

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    see my comment above.

Per the wiki, 13 billion gallons of Ethanol was produced last year, or ~50 millions gallons per day. At current level, we need about 378 million gallons of fuel per day. Is there the ability to build & produce 7 times as much as we produce now?

How much plant material would it take to meet current fuel demands?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think Butanol is a replacement for gasoline, but it could surely help to reduce the amount of oil we consume, while at the same time reducing the amount of material being put into landfills.

Top Bottom