• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I have an interesting story that I should have posted awhile ago.

I was at my mothers house which is adjacent to a closed quarry (we have permission to shoot in parts of). We were having a little fun and really opening up the 50bmg out to ~800yds, shooting a little tannerite, sighting in the 22-250 and so on. Its really great to shoot into a 150ft+ crumbling rock wall as your backstop. Yes, yes I know I have a distance range and backstop that only some could dream of. I feel really blessed for that.
    Anyway, apparently there was a rather insane number of phone calls to the police department (25+) about the "explosions" going on. I know that the sounds probably echoed coming out of the quarry and such, but it is a good 300-350yds to the closest house (behind us) from where we were shooting.
    The sheriff dept responded with 2 officers. They were very polite and courteous, asked about our backstop, and asked how much hearing protection we were wearing. I asked them if they wanted to give it a go on the 50bmg, they declined and said maybe next time (with a chuckle). They wished up luck and told us to be safe.
    The end.

I know not exciting at all, they did their job and made sure the things going on were all legal and went on their way.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What self respecting man would turn down a chance to shoot a 50bmg...amazing. Do they get police officers out of charm school these days?

Probably the one who doesn't want the original callers to call in and complain to his supervisor that he has become part of the 'problem'.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have an interesting story that I should have posted awhile ago.

I was at my mothers house which is adjacent to a closed quarry (we have permission to shoot in parts of). We were having a little fun and really opening up the 50bmg out to ~800yds, shooting a little tannerite, sighting in the 22-250 and so on. Its really great to shoot into a 150ft+ crumbling rock wall as your backstop. Yes, yes I know I have a distance range and backstop that only some could dream of. I feel really blessed for that.
    Anyway, apparently there was a rather insane number of phone calls to the police department (25+) about the "explosions" going on. I know that the sounds probably echoed coming out of the quarry and such, but it is a good 300-350yds to the closest house (behind us) from where we were shooting.
    The sheriff dept responded with 2 officers. They were very polite and courteous, asked about our backstop, and asked how much hearing protection we were wearing. I asked them if they wanted to give it a go on the 50bmg, they declined and said maybe next time (with a chuckle). They wished up luck and told us to be safe.
    The end.

I know not exciting at all, they did their job and made sure the things going on were all legal and went on their way.

If that was today, WE could hear it all the way to my place which is a pretty fer piece ;) Could hear the 50 and then the KA Boom :cool: :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    after getting the 50bmg out today, the kids wanted to get behind them . My daughter (6) has a very healthy interest , but for now we are sticking to bb guns and 22lr. My son tags along (4) and just likes doing whatever Im doing.
    Hell , my kids have better trigger discipline than some adults ( and yes I know her finger is on the trigger in the pic, and my son has a ring pop in his mouth not a pacifier LOL )
    149qbv8.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If I ever had to go on that type of run, I would graciously send 650gr of love downrange if offered.....

I would hope if a guy is cracking off 50 cal rounds in haughville you'd be at least somewhat suspicious. Legendary run though.

Top Bottom