• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Current Sales - Gander Mountain? > We Live Outdoors - Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Outdoor Recreation, Apparel & Footwear, Gunsmithing

M&P 15 Optics Ready Semi Auto Rifle
    SAVE $300

$799.99*
    thru Jul 31
    • 16” barrel
    • 6-position CAR stock†
    • 30 round magazine capacity†
    In store only
    *After $100 Smith & Wesson mail-in rebate
    †6-position stock and 30 round not available in NY & MD; fixed stock and 10 round capacity only.
    I'm somewhat new to firearms, especially these military-style sporting long guns. I've handled a couple various types at the Indy1500 shows but never looked seriously or sat down to start doing the pricing.

So, I'm curious, how's this for a base platform?

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I would say this is a great deal. Any brand new AR at 799 is a good deal. I am also very pro flat top upper so this fits my style. AR parts are all interchangable so if you like the model....I say go for it.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Optics ready carbines are so they can save money and not pay extra for sights you wont use. Just drop a scope on and go. A good deal, at $799.99

If you want sights you can get a set of folding sights for $80-400 just depends what features you want. But the optics ready package is so you don't spend money on sights you just take off to put a scope on.

I should add that you should look at building your own AR. It would be cheaper, and you get more of what you want. You can build this kind of basic AR for $600-700 pretty easily. It just wont be a S&W...........

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    $799 is a Helluva deal considering I payed some where around $1200 for mine when all the Obamanation was kicking off. But I will say this if you want a quality AR-15 a to hell in back rifle this is where it's at for the money. I've ran somewhere around 5000 rounds over the last couple years without a hickup. i love this dam rifle.....

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    From what I've seen, its an alright deal. If I had the money and was out looking and it was an impulse buy, I wouldn't feel bad about it. I think I'd rather build than buy though. I think after my paperwork and sbr are complete, I'm going to build a retro and then a flat top .308 or .458.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Everything I've read so far on the S&W ARs has been pretty good. I'd call it a reasonably good deal. The CDNN deal is even better and I'll call that a steal.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Everything I've read so far on the S&W ARs has been pretty good.

As far as brand, yes the S&W line of rifles are g2g.

IMO, the "optics ready" version leaves much to be desired. First, you're going to have to drop an additional ~$200 on a decent set of irons, so the deal no longer looks so sweet. Also, you've got a railed gas block versus a fixed front sight base, which is a less desirable situation in my opinion.

When I first started AR shopping a year ago I too considered an "optics ready" Bushmaster-- boy am I glad I saved a bit more for the Patrolman's M4.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I would jump on it if it wasn't for one thing, I already got one.

p0igi.jpg

But mine is not the .223 it is 5.45.
    a4wpqe.jpg

Just as accurate as the .223 & a lot cheaper to shoot.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    It is a good gun but you may be able to go to Spikes as others have mentioned and get a better weapon for the same money. If you really want that gun, then get it online for up to $200 cheaper. I am not sure that I have ever seen a "good deal" at Gander...

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Thanks for the feedback all. I saw a number of items in the CDNN catalog I like! I'm not quite ready to hop into this category yet... but wanted to start feeling it out. I've had a chance to shoot a friends AR-15's a couple of times and have enjoyed it.

I grew up doing some varmint hunting, so miss more precision shooting than I do with my 9mm's at Eagle Creek range. I'm tempted to get something simple in the coming year. Maybe just a .22 set up to start.

Really, what I would love to get is an M1A, but that's for another day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom