How will you bake when the "grid goes down"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    after watching dooms day preppers on Nat Geo last night they all had solar ovens. But how you will break bead or more importantly cookies when the SHTF.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Ok all joking aside.

I've also heard about thermal cooking.
    I don't know if it'd work for baking. But the principal was heat it for a short period then insulate it to keep the heat in and continue the cooking for a few hours.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All three will work: solar ovens, dutch ovens and thermal cooking. But the key is to experiment with it NOW, so you don't waste valuable food stores trying it after SHTF.
    Solar ovens are challenging if you don't have direct sun all day, you have to move it around. It takes a while to bake a potato.

Dutch ovens are hands down awsome.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Thanks for the suggestions that's what I thought as well I just didn't want to be missing the obvious.

I love my dutch oven as well but can't for the life of me get my biscuits to not burn on the bottom. The centers and the tops are great but I always burn the bottoms. Any hints.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks for the suggestions that's what I thought as well I just didn't want to be missing the obvious.

I love my dutch oven as well but can't for the life of me get my biscuits to not burn on the bottom. The centers and the tops are great but I always burn the bottoms. Any hints.

Get a flat stone that fits the bottom and don't preheat the oven. An extra sheet of plate steel can be used if the bottom is curved. Cut a section of 1/4" hardware mesh and line with foil. Don't set the oven directly on coals but arrange some ash underneath and surround with coals not touching the oven. All are ways to accomplish it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    brick ovens, cast iron ones.. colman camping oven.. steel box..

baking is using hot air to cook with.. you can even get an oven that fits in line with the flu of your wood burning stove..

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Earth/mud ovens are always an option too, they've been around for a millennium & are still widely used in several parts of the world even to this day.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    cook/collect clean/wash wrap in mud throw in coals. It is fairly straight forward for most things with a skin your going peel off with the mud.

nosybobby52

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    if you're in a comfortable enough position that you can bake you'll be very lucky,but you'll more than likely be thankful that you've got a can of something to eat and pure water to wash it down with.

Top Bottom