• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    hey guy and gals, one of my shooting goals for 2013 is to start shooting 3 gun. So I have two questions for all of you:

My AR (once I decide which one to get) will be 16" what kind of gas system do you prefer for that length?

Second, I am right handed but left eye domanant, as a noob (who sucks at using a scope do to lack of practice with one) should I shoot tac optics with a 1-4x24 scope or tac limited with a red dot, or both (if that is a option)

I want to publicly thank jwfuhrman for answer question after question after question thru pms recently as I try to gain understanding and insite to this sport.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You will want a mid length gas system. Or go up to an 18" barrel and a rifle length gas system. Can't have a scope and Red dot unless you want to shoot open. Pick one and work on it.

I'm also cross eye dominant, doesn't bother me with guns but has made me shoot a left handed bow.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    How much are you looking to spend on this AR that you are talking about?

You can get a Custom built AR for not much more than a High Quality Factory gun that you still have to sink money into to get it "right".

This will be tailored to your needs specifically for what you are looking to do and very reliable.

If you would like more information, just let me know.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Save yourself a headache and just buy either the colt or stag 3 gun model or step up and buy a JP. If you want an inexpensive scope, get the burris tac 30 1-4, if you want a nicer one get the burris xtr 1-4 or the accupoint 1-4....

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I built my 3G rifle from various parts added on over time and Im happy with it. That being said, my next one will be a 3g model from a company like Stag, Colt, JP or something similar. The companies are listening to shooters and building guns that we need with the features that we are looking for. Obviously there are always some personal preferences on things, but out of the box guns are getting better and better and I can only think that trend will continue to rise!!

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    If your set on a 16" gun you'll definitely want a mid-length gas system but, if you want to get serious about 3 Gun I would strongly recommend that you go with a 18" or 20" barrel and use a rifle length system.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    16" with a mid length gas system and a good comp is very shoot-able. An 18" with a rifle length gas and good comp is better :). Don't see a lot of 20" guns at the matches I shot last year. Little extra velocity, but extra weight to carry around as well.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    shoot whatever you like. i started 3gun this year with an m&p 15 with an aimpoint red dot and vert foregrip. set up the rifle just to screw around. worked well for me, i am not very competitive yet, but it was a LOT of fun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    agree w/ the 18" comments. I built a gun recently w/ 3-gun in mind using a 18" WOA tube (rifle gas), good comp (rolling thunder), rifle stock, and lightened carrier. Only thing else I could have done for game use was go w/ a tunable gas block, but I went w/ a full-gas setup for reliability. love the setup, esp w/ my Vortex 1-4 on it. :)

nothing wrong w/ a 16" gun, but if you are setting up for 3-gun, rifle length gas is the recommendation. if you do go 16", I'd go middy gas.

-rvb

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd recommend shooting with a scope unless you have lots of time behind a red dot at distance (up to 300 yds for inmg matches). Most scopes will have some sort of holdover marks on the reticle, but the red dot you are just holding out in space.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    agree w/ the 18" comments. I built a gun recently w/ 3-gun in mind using a 18" WOA tube (rifle gas), good comp (rolling thunder), rifle stock, and lightened carrier. Only thing else I could have done for game use was go w/ a tunable gas block, but I went w/ a full-gas setup for reliability. love the setup, esp w/ my Vortex 1-4 on it. :)

nothing wrong w/ a 16" gun, but if you are setting up for 3-gun, rifle length gas is the recommendation. if you do go 16", I'd go middy gas.

-rvb

Sounds pretty much like the setup I just got rid of a bit ago :(

Darn kids!

Top Bottom