• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    im looking at selling a pistol and i have no clue how to. I dont want to be breaking any laws. any info on it is appreciated. what do i have to do to keep my ass out of jail?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Get 50 post. Place an add, check that they are over 18 and have an Indiana ID.

What are you selling?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Make sure you don't sell it to a felon or someone otherwise
    prohibited from owning a gun and no one under the age of 18.
    Also must be a resident of the state of Indiana if you are a resident Indiana
    unless you go through a FFL.

I think that covers it and will keep you butt out of prision. :yesway:

jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    IndyMonkey - Get 50 post. Place an add, check that they are over 18 and have an Indiana ID.

Doesn't the buyer have to be 21 for a handgun?

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    By the way, I know i'm not indymonkey.:)

Good thing one monkey is enough, we don't need two runnin around....:laugh:

But ya "kickbacked" like they said you only have 37 more post and you can slap what ya got on them classifieds.

***I do have a question how would you know if your selling something to a felon short of checking if they have a LTCH?

Last edited:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Make sure you don't sell it to a felon or someone otherwise
    prohibited from owning a gun and no one under the age of 18.

I think that covers it and will keep you butt out of prision. :yesway:

I've never read that you must sell to an Indiana resident if the seller is a resident of Indiana.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I've never read that you must sell to an Indiana resident if the seller is a resident of Indiana.

It is a no-no if during a "private sale" you sell to someone who is a resident of another state.
    How do you verify? Check their drivers license.

If someone pulls out a license other than Indiana
    and you are conducting a private sale say GOODBYE!

With an FFL you can sell to anyone and the FFL takes care of the legal transfer.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    im an indiana resident and i do believe the guy is too. Its nothing nice just a cobra .380 with 3 clips and 100 rds of ammo. The thing im most worried about is selling it to a felon, I don't want to go to jail and I don't have anyway of checking on it

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Make sure he has a LTCH.

If he has no LTCH and you don't feel comfortable selling it to him for any reason don't risk it. You have the final say in any and all sales. :twocents:

For me, in most cases I would like to see a LTCH during a private sale but you can infer a lot from one's dress, demeanor, speech, ect. If I felt comfortable enough with someone who DIDN'T have a LTCH to sell them a gun based on the aforementioned and other criteria, I wouldn't be too opposed to selling them a weapon. And I am definitely not a lawyer but I thought the law in Indiana says that you can only get in trouble if you KNOWINGLY sold a gun to/bought a gun for a KNOWN felon. But PLEASE don't quote me on that and correct me if I am wrong.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The thing im most worried about is selling it to a felon, I don't want to go to jail and I don't have anyway of checking on it

...I thought the law in Indiana says that you can only get in trouble if you KNOWINGLY sold a gun to/bought a gun for a KNOWN felon.

Correct.

IC 35-47-2-7

Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.

You aren't allowed to sell to someone you have reasonable cause to believe is a felon, etc.

There is no legal requirement to check unless you are an FFL, just a personal decision if you choose to.

(To verify age seems more of a requirement.)

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Agreed but this guy is concerned the buyer might be a felon.
    If you have reason to suspect that I can see why you would ask for the LTCH, but a lot of good perspective buyers don't have one. It's not like not having one is suspicious behavior . I had a handgun for the better part of a year before I got a LTCH. In fact when I bought bought my .45 I was under the mistaken impression that I could transport my pistol to the range to learn to shoot it. I had no idea I needed a LTCH, because I had no intention to carry a gun on my person.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    If you have reason to suspect that I can see why you would ask for the LTCH, but a lot of good perspective buyers don't have one. It's not like not having one is suspicious behavior . I had a handgun for the better part of a year before I got a LTCH. In fact when I bought bought my .45 I was under the mistaken impression that I could transport my pistol to the range to learn to shoot it. I had no idea I needed a LTCH, because I had no intention to carry a gun on my person.

Me too.....years of breaking the law going to the range. Probably one of the most misinterpreted part of IC gun laws. I'm just thankful that I learned before it was too late.....thanks to INGO:D

Top Bottom