• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've never run a business. I'm finishing up my MBA, and I have some ideas that have occurred to me, but I'm not any kind of expert. You might think it presumptive of me to think I know how to run a gun shop. That's OK.

The problem with most gun shops is that they do a terrible job of separating coonfingers from shoppers and real buyers. How can you tell the difference? Appearance? Past transactions? None of these are reliable indicators.

How do you give your most valuable, serious customers fantastic service by not wasting a crapload of time on tire-kickers that want to shoot the breeze and do little else?

I think you can do it by charging for time. If I am a gun shop owner that has good advice to offer and lots of different guns for you to grip and fondle to find what works best for you, then that time is worth something-- to BOTH of us, proprietor and customer alike.

So instead of trying to make money on selling guns (cranking up prices), you sell guns at lower prices and sell SERVICE to make up the difference.

How would you like to go to a shop and not have to wait in line as much, if at all? To not fight some other customer for attention? To KNOW that you are going to get individualized service?

It takes a change in how you look at the business. You are not a 'gun shop' per se, but rather a 'personal defense consultant'-- and like other consultants, TIME and expertise is what's for sale.

Here's how I'd work it. First, you have to split the store into two parts: the 'gun' part and the 'everything else' part (ammo, holsters, powder, whatever).

Then you set up a refundable cover charge for the gun part. Come on in and look all you want for $5. But you will waiting in line behind those folks that paid $10 for an actual appointment time and individualized attention. Expect good service, just at slightly less priority.

The customer that is actually interesting in buying will pay the $10 because it's cheap for the vastly improved experience when spending a big chunk of cash. Those who want to look around can still do so, just expect potentially less service for $5 if you don't buy anything.

Those who never want to buy anything are not likely to pay the $5 at all and will go mess with some other shop.

Price your guns and ammo at competitive prices so people know that it is SERVICE they are paying for. IOW, no $700 Glocks.

Best of all, because the customer got great service AND a good price, they are likely to come back. It also makes it far less likely that you have as many people come in the door that just want to handle guns. These people expect the retailer to give them a bunch of time for free! Time on non-paying-gawkers vs paying customers is not equally valuable. Reduce the gawkers and give the real customers a better chance at the TIME that is so valuable.

$5 is low enough that folks who aren't necessarily buyers but are serious lookers can still afford it. It's just enough deterrent to filter out the very bottom feeders.

Competing purely on price is a loser. Anyone can call around and price check. You have to win on SERVICE. You can deliver to the customer a superior overall experience this is a much better VALUE.

As any waiter will tell you, good service is worth money.

Your $10 customers get the best service possible, and the $5 customers get far BETTER service than they could get at any "free" shop because they won't have to compete with nearly as many lookie-loos for employee attention.

I came up with the basic idea for a music store because they are the WORST stores of all to deal with. Pity the guy trying to demo and buy a premium guitar.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    No offense but I would,likely take my buisness else where, I do a lot of "fondling" and research before I buy a gun and am not going to pay $5 to do so, it eould be well spent in gas to go to another location.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Shouldn't have to pay more for behind the counter service.

The shop workers need to manage the customers better. It's not hard to tell the difference between bull****ters an buyers.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    Wouldn't work. If I had to pay to see something at any shop whether it gun shop, music store, jewelry store, etc... I'll and I suspect everyone else will simply shop elsewhere.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I rarely buy on impulse and go to the shops over and over purchasing the right product for me when it's listed at a good price. l will wait until it's my turn.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Virtual gun shop in business for 14 minutes and already driving away customers. Imagine how hard it is to please everyone in a REAL gun shop.

No thanks, retail is NOT for me.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How many other retail outlets have you heard of that have been successful with what you're proposing? While that's not evidence that what you're doing won't work, it should be noted. I would also take my business elsewhere.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    You sir have your first customer! :rockwoot: When I walk into any store, be it a gun shop, clothing store or grocery store I know what I want so being forced to wait for service because someone is just looking pisses :xmad: me off and wastes my time. I just purchased a new gun at (gasp) Gander Mountain because the local owned shops did not have what I wanted and "could not" order it for me. I had to take a number and wait ~20 minutes to spend a good deal of money, pissing me off. However, the people who worked there were nice, polite, friendly, worked quickly and thoroughly to complete the transaction. In short if waiting times for serious buyers was eliminated at a place I'm spending hundreds of dollars I would be a repeat customer.
    I do my browsing online, at gun shows and at the shooting range. :twocents:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Its sad to see the youth have had actually zero experience with "mom n pop" shops. I see that the internet has made us all 'experts.'

I used to own a bicycle shop in the '90's. Suddenly, rollerblades and computers were the rage and kids got lazy and stayed in instead of riding their bicylces. Enthusiasts would shop at my store because I had good stock and gave good (probably too good) deals.

Eventually, folks started getting stuff online or less quality products at big stores.

I would never have, nor would ever consider, charging a customer to shop in my store. As a matter of fact, we would have coffee a brewin' and I'd have no problem spending whatever amount of time with the customer regardless if they purchased at $5K bike, a $5 inner tube, or if I gave them a water bottle with my store's logo on it.

You don't need business school to tell you to treat every customer that walks into your door like a king/queen...they may drop a bunch of dough in your store that day, or their kids may eventually drop a bunch of dough in your store in 20 years because you always treated their parents right.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have this thing where we pay to park and pay to get in. It's call the Indy 1500. Unless you have a selection or inventory such as that, I won't be visiting.

If you have good employees, they can take care of the people just looking while taking care of the people there to buy. Look at ITP or Bradis. They both do a great job of helping everyone that walks in the door regardless if you are there to look or buy.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How to shop at a gun store....

If you're looking then there really is no service issue is there?

If you're buying, or seriously considering buying, don't look at the case and wait. Stand at the case, and make eye contact with the armorer. Gun stores are the worst in terms of window shoppers. You let them know you mean business, and they'll do business.

I've been to Bradis several times and have only purchased 2 guns. Each time I didn't buy, I was still looking for serious answers to serious questions. I got all the service I needed. I can do the exact same at any LGS no matter how bad they <cough>POPS<cough> may be.

The problem isn't the seller, it's the non-buyers.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I should have taken this approach to dating: If you aren't letting me round home on the 1st date, GTFO.

Gotta separate out the tire-kickers.

Top Bottom