• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Besides just looking very closely, any good ways to identify hail damage on vehicles? I think I remember hearing about using a flashlight closely?

We had some pretty large hail swing through this evening (northwest Illinois), and our new Pilot was not in the garage. Hoping for the best. I'll be taking a close look tomorrow, but curious on anything specific that I can do to help identify.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Get it in the garage under some fluorescent lights and you should be able to see them just fine. Probably good to make sure it is clean first.

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    Get it in the garage under some fluorescent lights and you should be able to see them just fine. Probably good to make sure it is clean first.

This.

I run a body shop and there is something about flourescent lighiting that makes hail very easy to see. I think it is the long, straight tubes and their reflection off the paint. Its very easy to see a ripple where there shouldn't be in a long straight line.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Sometimes it takes a trained eye with years of experience to locate hail damage.....and sometimes - NOT.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My Mustang looks like a midget on acid decided to climb all over it wielding a ballpeen hammer. I just want to learn how to undo it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    My Mustang looks like a midget on acid decided to climb all over it wielding a ballpeen hammer. I just want to learn how to undo it.
    Pointless dent repair is the way to go IMO. Some body shop guys will disagree but I used to own a paint & body shop back in another life and did a lot of business with the traveling guys, they kinda follow big storms and set up shop at local business's, they did great work without any body filler and normally without any fresh paint or clear.

T/SF34/A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Its all about the lighting and angle you're looking at the car. From one angle you may not see a thing, from another you may see many dents and dings.

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    Paintless dent repair is definetly the way to go. We, however will NOT use the storm chaser companies. We use a guy that is local and has been doing PDR work locally for 20+ years.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I don't know, for some reason that just seems... unnecessary. :dunno:

giphy.gif

Top Bottom