• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So Ive been wanting a SKS for a while but honestly dont know much about them. I know there are several different countries that made them. Is one model signifcantly better or worse then the others? I tried searching for this already on INGO but if i missed an old thread that overed this Im sorry. help me pick a good one.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    www.sksboards.com

Read till your eyes bleed.

It is pretty hard to go wrong with any SKS variant. Keep away from "modded" sks's.

Cheapest route in general right now are the yugo sks's, as they were the latest to come across the pond. As with any milsurp rifle, take a good look at the action and barrel for wear.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I personally like the Chinese models followed by the Romanian and Russian versions. As Electronrider said, try to find a solid stock model, you can always mess it up later with plastic crap if you want. Ammo and stripper clips should follow. BTW, there is a very nice looking Chinese SKS in the classifieds for a very reasonable price.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    For values sake, make sure ALL numbers match. There will be serial #'s on multiple parts of the rifle and they should all be the same. This will help make sure it's not a frankenstein.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Shameless----there is a nice chinese at a good price in the classifieds!

Anyway, I now have one from every country and even an M (takes ak mags)

The Chinese are great. I have 3, besides the one for sale, and they have good fit and quality. They are also chrome lined. My Russian and Romanian feel the best though.

Yugos are cool, but can be troublesome. They have a gas selector to launch grenades. Since they are not chrome lined and blanks are corrosive they can cause issues.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    As mentioned Yugos have no chrome lining. Russian is usually more valuable than Chinese but I don't think you would notice much difference as a shooter.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    All are good shooters but if you want collectability get and Albanian, (scarce) just don't expect sub moa out of it. And if you want to get crazy rare get a North Korean, East German, or Vietnamese.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I own a Yugo and it is a blast to shoot. I don't think you can go wrong with any variant. I would not be afraid to buy one that has a different stock or was modified as long as it is in good condition. Sometimes the modified ones are a little cheaper.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Like anything else it depends what you want to do with it. I had a Yugo I picked up brand new for two hundred and sold it before the madness for three now I have seen them for six. It shot great after some trigger work. I did hang up with aftermarket high cap mags. Other than that it was a hell of a blaster. There are definatly better guns out there so I had a little fun and made a buck. I think a paratroper would be neat and make a nice handy rifle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Of the three SKSs in our family, one is Russian, one Chinese and the last is a Chinese Paratrooper. Out of all of those, I like the paratrooper best. I bought it as a non-matching beater and it cleaned up really well and shoots well. The thing I like about the paratrooper is that it's balanced better than the other SKSs. The Russian is an early one and has the best build quality with a machined trigger guard vs. stamped on the Norincos, but they all function perfectly. None have a great trigger, but that can be improved if you want to. I'd definitely try for something chrome lined due to the amount of surplus corrosive ammo available.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I've had three, two Russians and a Yugo. Traded one Russian with original wood stock and traded the Yugo with a Tapco stock (I did not care for the Yugo). The one I have now is with a Shernic Gun Works stock (bullpup) has really nice balance, Tapco mags run flawless with it and has rails that came with it with a Red Dot scope with flip up iron sights lined up threw the Red Dot. I have the original stock with it as well. It is a blast to shoot. I wish I could post pics, but I have a dumb phone (don't want or need a smart phone).

Top Bottom