• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There's fringe groups of all kinds in America, always have been...but the author finally arrives at the paragraph containing the political point this article was written to convey:

"...Allen says the problem with the GOP’s absorption of extremist rhetoric and goals is not that it encourages the violent, but that it obstructs the normal ebb and flow of politics. When politicians court a base that believes the federal government is the enemy, it becomes nearly impossible to negotiate. Judging by the gridlocked committee rooms of the Capitol, that metaphorical truck bomb has already detonated in the heart of the American political process."

Got that? It's the same old Chris Matthews lament: Washington doesn't work like it used to anymore. "Your Daddy's Republican Party" used to make deals with Democrat Presidents. "Ronald Reagan talked like a Conservative...but he was in the back room making deals with Tip O'Neill." I get my Military Base...you get your HUD funding. That's the kind of Republican the libs want more of: guys like George Bush Sr., who will raise taxes to generate more money for Uncle Sugar - then take the political fall for it.

Your Daddy's Republican Party is sputtering - the libs are pizzed - and they're ready to compare you to Baby Murderers to express their frustration.

(Of course...the Democrat party nominating divisive Presidents who call religious gun-owners Bitter Clingers has nothing to do with this).

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I skimmed the article and must have missed it. Does the author describe, list or lay out Timothy McVeigh's ideals?

I really don't know what his ideals were, I never got that much into him.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    There's fringe groups of all kinds in America, always have been...but the author finally arrives at the paragraph containing the political point this article was written to convey:

"...Allen says the problem with the GOP’s absorption of extremist rhetoric and goals is not that it encourages the violent, but that it obstructs the normal ebb and flow of politics. When politicians court a base that believes the federal government is the enemy, it becomes nearly impossible to negotiate. Judging by the gridlocked committee rooms of the Capitol, that metaphorical truck bomb has already detonated in the heart of the American political process."

Got that? It's the same old Chris Matthews lament: Washington doesn't work like it used to anymore. "Your Daddy's Republican Party" used to make deals with Democrat Presidents. "Ronald Reagan talked like a Conservative...but he was in the back room making deals with Tip O'Neill." I get my Military Base...you get your HUD funding. That's the kind of Republican the libs want more of: guys like George Bush Sr., who will raise taxes to generate more money for Uncle Sugar - then take the political fall for it.

Your Daddy's Republican Party is sputtering - the libs are pizzed - and they're ready to compare you to Baby Murderers to express their frustration.

(Of course...the Democrat party nominating divisive Presidents who call religious gun-owners Bitter Clingers has nothing to do with this).

These are the same people that say Washington is broken, government is the enemy, it's the liberal media's fault, and then refuse to come to the table at all because reasons. That doesn't make much sense to say something is so forsaken and gone yet coming to the table to talk is the worst idea ever. Most Americans like it when their leaders can negotiate and play nice and show actual leadership. If I wanted to see a carnival act in DC I need only watch a congress in session. It's a shame that a willingness to negotiate has become a sign of weakness.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    These are the same people that say Washington is broken, government is the enemy, it's the liberal media's fault, and then refuse to come to the table at all because reasons. That doesn't make much sense to say something is so forsaken and gone yet coming to the table to talk is the worst idea ever. Most Americans like it when their leaders can negotiate and play nice and show actual leadership. If I wanted to see a carnival act in DC I need only watch a congress in session. It's a shame that a willingness to negotiate has become a sign of weakness.

Compromise can be all well and good until you start compromising your principles. You can't give away the farm just to show that you got something done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If you want less government intrusion than we have, and after the end of every negotiation you have more government intrusion. What has the other side given you? What's the negotiation for anyway? Less intrusion than what they really wanted? Pfft.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Compromise can be all well and good until you start compromising your principles. You can't give away the farm just to show that you got something done.

Thats totally fine until everything becomes a central principle. This is a problem in both parties. Everybody must have everything they want or no deal, I don't think that's good governing.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    If you want less government intrusion than we have, and after the end of every negotiation you have more government intrusion. What has the other side given you? What's the negotiation for anyway? Less intrusion than what they really wanted? Pfft.

Government intrusion is not an inevitable result, it's just nobody faithfully fights for less intrusion. Each party wants control of different things, so the controlling at best is just changing hands. It's not the negotiating it's the people who are negotiating amongst themselves.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait, wait wait....these guys get to use "Guilt by Association" to try to make a point and all my efforts at "Slippery Slope" are rejected?

C'mon.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

The bottom line is that there is a correct way to address this which neither party is willing to accept: The government exists on the terms established in the Constitution. The problem is a few generations of politicians treating the Constitution like Barbossa treated the Pirates' Code in Pirates of the Caribbean, declaring the code to be more suggestions than rules.

When the government flagrantly violates the Constitution with no indication of letting up, it IS the enemy, or rather those making it up are the very domestic enemies our founders warned us about.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I don't remember where I heard it but here it goes. Look at a pendulum as the gauge of politics. To the left of where you are standing is Democrat and to the right is Republican. When the pendulum swings far to the left it will next swing far to the right. Then it will stop swinging so far until you have a middle of the road candidate unless someone kicks the ball at the end.

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    The stupid is quite strong with Ms. Burleigh. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this article really WAS written by Anarchist Butters.

Top Bottom