• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Berne
    I recently read several articles about how often I should clean my gun, leaving me thoroughly confused. My father was in the army and keeps his guns shining.
    One of the articles talked like this is just old school and may actually damage your gun. They made it sound like most people clean their guns too often. Does any one have experience with this?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If you shoot 38's through your .357 you should clean the cylinders every time out or at least fairly frequently. I've had enough junk build up that .357's didn't seat all the way. Other than that, I clean range guns when I notice performance issues. I clean carry guns more frequently but less than every time out. Probably less often than many.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of the answer also depends on how long it is until you use it next. If it is your deer hunting revolver, and it will sit unused until next deer season, clean it an oil it before you put it away, even of you only fired one shot. If you are going to shoot it next Saturday, and it is not dripping wet or too filthy to run properly, you can get by without cleaning it. A revolver that shoots a lot of waxy lube cast bullets will fire less rounds before cleaning than a semi auto shooting jacketed bullet ammo. As mentioned, if you are shooting .38 spl or .44 spl in a magnum revolver, the residue inside of the cylinders can get built up pretty fast.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I recently read several articles about how often I should clean my gun, leaving me thoroughly confused. My father was in the army and keeps his guns shining.
    One of the articles talked like this is just old school and may actually damage your gun. They made it sound like most people clean their guns too often. Does any one have experience with this?

Yes, clean every time, but I qualify that statement by saying that you really can damage your gun if you do it improperly or use substandard or incorrect equipment.
    For one, skip the stainless bore brushes, unless you like scratching your bore.
    I have no idea why the cleaning equipment companies get away with selling those.
    Also, skip the multi-piece rods that screw together, but instead get the one-piece stainless, spring steel, or carbon fiber rods.
    Make sure that you minimize or eliminate rubbing your cleaning rod with the bore, especially at the crown, cleaning from the breech end if possible and using a bore guide if you must clean from the muzzle.
    As long as you're doing it right, you'll only extend your gun's longevity by cleaning each time.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A stainless brush made for bore cleaning is much softer than the steel in the barrel.

Even a stainless barrel?
    It's your gun barrel.
    Bronze phosphor brushes do a remarkably good job, and with not a doubt that they're softer than barrel steel, be it chrom-molybdenum or stainless.
    I'm not risking mine.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used to be crazy about keeping my firearms cleaned and well lubed. Now, like Leo says I clean depending on use. If I was to shoot it once a year, I would clean it after the one time shooting it. If I am going to shoot it every weekend, I would wipe it off, run a bore snake down the barrel, add some lube and have it ready for next weekend.

At the end of the season, I will do a detail strip, clean and lube every part and put it away safe, clean and warm until next season.

When I started shooting Trap with my autoloader, I would clean it each week. Then I got to the point that I would clean it when the bolt wouldn't lock open which was about 200 shells.

The exception to this is if I get dirty handling it, then I will clean it.:)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I recently began using Flitz Bore Cleaner on my wheel guns. It doesn't take much on a small nylon brush (like an old toothbrush) to make quick work of the the forcing cone, and burn marks on the cylinder face. I also use it on patches for the barrel and in the cylinders. Really makes cleaning up stainless revolvers a snap.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Shouldn't require much cleaning if you don't mind it looking ratty. As someone already said, if you switch between 38 specials and 357 magnum, make sure you keep the chambers spotless.

If you shoot a lot of lead, make sure to clean the forcing cone and the barrel very well. Try to keep the star on the back of the cylinder clear of debris, as well as under the ejector star. Other than that, it's mostly cosmetic.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No, it's actually not mostly cosmetic. Powder fouling and oil works on your gun just like lapping compound. You need to get that crap out of there whenever you get a chance.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Depending on the gun, it varies from every 50 shots up to about once every three thousand shots. I try to clean them often enough to keep the rust to a minimum. Generally clean whenever either form or function is no longer satisfactory for some reason.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How often I clean a gun depends on what gun. Also, some guns get a deep cleaning after each range trip and others just get a boresnake pulled through and wiped down. Revolvers get a good cleaning after I shoot them. When I shoot a Glock, it usually gets a boresnake pulled through and then put away, but revolvers just don't feel right to me being dirty. My 1911s fall somewhere between the others.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I typically clean my revolver after every use, if nothing else at least the cylinder and a brief action cleaning to keep everything running buttery smooth. I dont worry about the bore quite as much, unless I know I wont be shooting it for a few months.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Its a revolver, I would err on the side of clean. The worst case scenario is that you regret the 5 min you took to clean your revolver...
    i clean the stuff I shoot every time I go out just because. I clean everything I own once a year. If something is a defensive weapon, I generally think cleaner is a better option than dirty. Not to say I wouldn't trust a dirty firearm, I do, but I would rather have a clean one.

Top Bottom