• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Okay Here is a serious question. How often should Handguns be cleaned?

Your EDC gun?

As a general rule of thumb I typically clean my guns after each time I go shooting. I use this synthetic EEZOX which is a solvent & lubricant all in one. Recently a friend told me that using a brass cleaning rod widget. That those are horrid on the gun for polygonal barrels and even worse for standard rifled barreled guns? That only nylon is the only thing to use? and of course use oiled down swipes to finish the job..

I only ask this question because I seem to be reading a lot of conflicting advise/ articles online. and now i am going nuts:scratch::eek::scratch::eek::nuts::scratch:

I always thought a clean gun was a happy gun.

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When I was in the Marine Corps, we cleaned our weapons immediately after firing them, and once a month if they were fired or not. I have continued with that regimen ever since.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As often as your conscience allows...

Seriously I have a Sig P226 I have not cleaned in 4 years...
    Operates just fine every weekend...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My EDC gets cleaned every six months or every thousand or so rounds, whether it needs it or not.

If it makes you happy, clean it. If it does not run reliably because of crud, clean it. Most modern guns do not NEED to be cleaned after every use, so if you find cleaning tedious, figure out what kind of schedule YOUR gun and YOUR use works best for you.

I shoot my EDC 3-4 times a week. If I cleaned after every use I'd be spending most of my time cleaning.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I clean mine after every trip to the range. My carry gun gets detail stripped and cleaned every few months.

Take care of your guns and they'll take care of you.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My :twocents: As often as you want. I tend to clean my gun/s after each shooting session. As previously said, it is quite relaxing. If you carry gun is pocket carried, I would, if not clean, used air(canned or air compressor) to blow the dust, lint, etc off it every once and a while.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I clean after each use. Otherwise, I fear the carbon deposits will harden. I only resort to a brass brush once or twice a year though, because as long as the cleaning is done after each use, I don't see any buildup in the barrel. I like to keep them oiled too, even when they're clean, just so they don't rust, and so they are ready for use at all times. I like cleaning because it gives me an excuse to fondle my guns too :-) .

Eezox stinks. I only use it on my old guns that have a rusty patina. I like Break Free CLP. And I use Slip 2000 on my 6920 bolt, since it stays visibly wet the longest.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Back in the days of corrosive primers (potassium chlorate was the culprit), cleaning after every shooting--the barrel especially--was absolutely mandatory. In the age of non-corrosive primers, it is not as critical.

My two cents:
    When cleaning guns, be exceedingly sparing with oil. Most people grossly overlubricate guns. My basic rule of thumb is if I can see oil, it is too much. Just the lightest of films (not shiny with oil) is best. I wipe off all visible oil with my fingers or piece of paper towel/tissue/patch. More oil collects powder residue, dirt, and other assorted particulates to form an abrasive sludge, completely defeating the purpose of the lubricant.

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    I clean after every use I do have a few guns I don't shoot and I clean them every six months

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I only ask this question because I seem to be reading a lot of conflicting advise/ articles online. and now i am going nuts:scratch::eek::scratch::eek::nuts::scratch:

And you come here expecting a single, harmonious response?:D

I clean mine after a shooting session unless I'm going to be shooting again in relatively short period of time. But I'm not very disciplined about it.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    In storage:

field strip and lube about once a year; sometimes a detail strip every 3-5 years.

In regular use or carry:

brush it off and check lube every week or less.
    field strip every month or less.
    detail strip every 6-12 months (or ASAP if the firearm gets wet from any liquid or heavy condensation).

After firing:

at least a field strip every day until the first patch of the day comes out clean.

I used to use Hoppe's #9 and light gun oil (or 3-in-1).
    Since 1970 it was Hoppe's #9 and CLP. RIG for storage.
    Since about 1992 to now: Almost exclusively Ballistol for cleaning, lube, and long-term storage. Occasionally, not often, Hoppe's #9 is still used right before the Ballistol.

For heavy bearing surfaces like bolt action camming surfaces I use a light to medium grease, such as slick 50, with moly-d added.
    For very sandy and dusty areas I use a dry lube, like Dri-Slide.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I used to be much more OCD about cleaning my guns after every range trip, but now I'd guess I clean them about every 6 or 7 trips or so. I've either bought into the literature that says more barrels have been worn out through over cleaning than from being shot out - or I've gotten lazier.

Top Bottom