• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I confirmed my idiocy this weekend, but am none the less happy. Here's the story of how NOT to buy a gun. It started last summer when I decided that I wanted to buy a Bersa 380CC. None were to be had though and it was not until October that I found one for $299 at a LGS. The problem was that there was another couple looking at it when I went to pick it up. Sure enough, they bought it and I went home empty handed.

On the way home, I stopped at another shop and asked if they had any coming in. The answer was no, but another customer (that happened to be the salesman's son) said he had a brand new one he'd sell for $300, with ammo, a holster and spare mag. With the price of mags and Critical Defense ammo, I figured that I was getting the gun for about $240 and so decided to check it out. He said it had less than 10 rounds through it and when I inspected it, it looked brand new. So, I paid him $300 and went home happy about the good luck I had.

The next weekend, I took it to the range and on the second mag, my good luck turned bad when it failed in the usual Bersa 380 failure mode of a messed up disconnector. Also, when I was cleaning it, I noticed the barrel pin seemed loose. Off it went to the warranty center and two weeks later, they contacted me to let me know they were replacing the gun under warranty. Bad luck had turned good again.

A couple of months passed and still no new gun, but they said it would take a while. Then, at the end of January, I spotted a Sig P238 and picked it up. A week later I got the brand new Bersa shipped in too. I fell in love with the Sig, but still really enjoyed the Bersa. I only put about 50 rounds through it though and it mostly sat in the safe between being fondled and cleaned. Sometime in May I decided that I really did not need it and sold it for $225. Not a week went buy before I decided I was an idiot for selling the gun.

This weekend, I confirmed my idiocy by buying another Bersa 380CC from PSS after seeing it at the 1500. This one cost me $269. So, all in all, I've spent $344 on a $269 that will now consume another $100 in ammo to break it in. But, I'm still happy to have one back in the safe. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, as my Sig is still my main BUG, but I'll be damned if I'll sell this one.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    As soon as i find another 63' Corvair I will be doing a very similar thing. It was my first car... got it for $700 because the wife wanted it gone and then I sold it 2 years later for some college money. Now I am going to have to spend about $5000 to get one in similar condition.

I feel your pain!!! Live and learn I guess.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Lesson learned! :D At least you wont make that mistake again. Dont worry though I am sure most of us have done the same thing. At least all ended up good in the end for you.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I did something similar involving a Ruger LCP and a Kahr P380 :rolleyes:

As soon as i find another 63' Corvair I will be doing a very similar thing. It was my first car... got it for $700 because the wife wanted it gone and then I sold it 2 years later for some college money. Now I am going to have to spend about $5000 to get one in similar condition.

63's were bathtubs. Now the 1965 redesign, Corsa convertable version, 140 engine, quad carbs, was the best $1,400 I ever spent and the worst $1,800 I ever received.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.

I had a total of 7 Corvairs over the years. The one I really kick myself for selling was a 65 Corsa with raised compression big valve heads, cam, headers, duals, center mounted toilet sized Holley,Mallory dual point converted to unilite, shortened steering arms, racing springs & shocks, sintered metal brakes, F 70's on ET unilugs,and........ you get the point.I let it go dirt cheap. I really have missed that car over the years. So...I feel your pain too!;)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    and that is one of the reasons i decided i will not trade my guns in or sell them unless something majorly bad happens and i need cash. i have decided when i have kids they will get to go thru my collection and keep what they want and sell what they dont want... but this is when i am way old and put in a home and wont be able to shoot anymore.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Browning High Power for me.
    It was in pretty bad shape so I traded it.
    Now I look at every High Power I see at gun stores.
    AND they are outrageously priced now.

flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    I almost did the same thing with a Walther PPk/S that I sold a few months back. I had the gun well over 10 years. Sold it and wanted it or another one.

If I had not purchased the Sig P238, I would have taken the plunge. My Sig is the gun I always keep with me, the others stay in the car or the house.

Hang onto the P 238, its a awesome little gun.

jlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010

Off topic, but I can't send a PM since I've only got 3 posts :)

Is a '62 Corvair close enough? Monza coupe:
    1962 corvair Monza coupe

They're neat cars, I know some guys in Anderson who have several.

Jim

Top Bottom