• Tip %

• Total voters

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    When eating out at a restaurant, how much is your tip for good service? "Good" as in what is normally expected. Not above and beyond, but not terrible. Or, put another way, what's your baseline tip?

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I don't do a percentage. I'm kind of a flat-tax'er I guess. Minimum of $3 for like a Steak & Shake visit, $5 if I'm spending around $20 on food, and $10-$15 for a Texas Roadhouse trip. That's with only 2 in my party and depending on how many refills we bug the wait-staff for. I try to be as generous as I can. I figure they're not working this job because they love it and I like to at least acknowledge those who do the daily grind.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For "eh" service it's around 15%. (And it still bothers me that we're culturally obligated to tip...)

For good service it's more.

For exceptional service...a little higher still.

Back when I was traveling every day and on a per diem, I'd regularly tip 50% or more...but these were on inexpensive $8-10 meals.

-J-

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    I start at 18%. If they do a great job, I bump it up. If I am constantly waiting for the server (and they aren't busy) or if they aren't very nice, I'll bump it down just a tad.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've been in the hospitality business for 10 years and have worked in plenty of restaurants. It's the pits, it really is. I know it sucks, so I can't help but be generous. Lots of single moms and college kids trying to make some money. TIPS are the only way severs make money. Their $2.13/hour base wage (which hasn't gone up in over 10 years) pays their taxes, not much else. They'll be lucky to get $3 or $4 on a paycheck, which was enough to buy a pack of smokes 8 years ago.

No matter how hard you try you'll never make everyone happy. Unless I have really poor service, they'll get 20 percent and up.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    TIPS are the only way severs make money. Their $2.13/hour base wage (which hasn't gone up in over 10 years) pays their taxes, not much else.
    I have found that most people who haven't worked in the service industry don't know this.

I usually tip 20% +/- depending on the service.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    For run of the mill service, I start somewhere in the middle. But it is largely based on what resturant I am at, the amount of the bill, & my expectations heading into it.

If I go to a place where I normally get Outstanding service, my baseline is going to be a bit higher because I can reasonably expect that I am going to get good service, so if the service is less than stellar, it goes down from there.
    If I am trying a new place, my baseline starts lower and they can show me that they give good service to earn a little more and want me to come back.

I would much rather eat at a mediocre resturant with great service, than fine dining with a lousy wait staff.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I start at 20% and depending on the service it can go up for exceptional service or go down for poor service.:twocents:
    This is what I do, although now that we have a toddler, I've found my baseline is closer to 25% just for having to clean up spilled milk and thrown food.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    This is what I do, although now that we have a toddler, I've found my baseline is closer to 25% just for having to clean up spilled milk and thrown food.

This is us too. Altho we don't have a toddler, it's based at 20% and can go up and down, depending on service.

We also tip higher depending on the service and the restaurant and how fast our server takes care of our needs, also the personality of our server counts as well. If they're nice, friendly, polite, and a lot of times funny, then our tip will usually be more, just for the enjoyment of their company.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    When eating out at a restaurant, how much is your tip for good service? "Good" as in what is normally expected. Not above and beyond, but not terrible. Or, put another way, what's your baseline tip?

"Good" isn't what is normally expected. If that is the normal service, that is average and gets a 15% at best. If they're polite and smiling (don't care if it is faked) they get the average tip. If they go above and beyond, they get a better tip. I have several scenarios where you get nothing and have left a $0.00 tip many times. Overall, I am an above average tipper if you do your job.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    this all depends on the quality of service.. i go into a tipping situation with the server starting out at 20% and anything that they may do poorly (ie waiting for drinks, rudeness, order incorrect etc) i subtract a small percentage. even if i get terrible service, i will still give around 10% as they do deserve something. i have a friend who serves downtown indpls, and has gotten nothing on large tabs (over $200) because people got drunk and didnt realize how big their bill was and couldnt afford to tip and i know how getting stiffed can hurt someones wallet

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Staff love me when I'm drinking. If the beer keeps coming or if I'm drinking mixed drinks and the bartender makes them a little stronger (way too many places under pour their shots), I make sure to tip the server AND the bartender. Doesn't matter if it is a regular place or I'll never be back. I've usually noticed that servers in the bar section are much more on top of things than in other sections in the same restaurant.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My wife and I are kind of tied into the industry, and usually know our server/bartender...so on the one hand, we generally get superb service, and on the other hand our tipping starts at 20% and cango quite a bit north of there. I have "no tipped" before, but only after an in depth conversation with a manager of an establishment. We don't consider tipping mandatory, and we expect a server to add to our overall experience, but we reward good (not crappy) service pretty well.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I dont really get caught up in the percentage I tip. Me and the wife usually get a meal for between $20 - $40. Most of my tips are in the $5 - $10 range. Just depends how im feeling about my meal and service.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My wife and I are kind of tied into the industry, and usually know our server/bartender...so on the one hand, we generally get superb service, and on the other hand our tipping starts at 20% and cango quite a bit north of there. I have "no tipped" before, but only after an in depth conversation with a manager of an establishment. We don't consider tipping mandatory, and we expect a server to add to our overall experience, but we reward good (not crappy) service pretty well.

When I no tip, I don't involve the manager. I politely explain to the server why I no tipped. I fully understand bad days and being really busy. That doesn't play into a no tip for me. A no tip comes from straight up poor service. I feel that if you're going to be working in the industry, you should at least be able to fake enthusiasm and you SHOULD pay attention to your tables. I worked for a pretty hard to deal with chef (business side) before so I understand a bad day can be made really bad really quickly if the kitchen isn't having a good day.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I start at 15%....if it's terrible(not friendly, no conversation, forgets things, doesn't stay on top of drinks, etc)....I'm not AT ALL afraid to tip less or stiff them.......I average about 20%-25% for good service.....but if they are very friendly, keep coming back to the table to BS, stay on top of everything I'm an excellent tipper....and depending on if we are there taking up a table for an extended amount of time and if it's great service I'll tip accordingly..........Before I was married, hanging out with friends at say Hooters or something, great service and if we were there for a while...I've tipped almost as much as my bill (granted I don't drink)

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    i try to tip 20 percent for good service. I don't make a lot of money so it's kinda a treat when the gf and i go out to eat, and i have been there done that with the food service industry. it's not the greatest job ever, and i try to show my appreciation as best i can afford to.

Top Bottom