How much do you tell about your personal defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    How much do you tell about your personal defense over the internet? I know most of us feel safe on these boards giving out that kind of information, but lets face it this is a public board to be seen by all.

Do you really want the general public to know what kind of gun you carry, where you carry it, how many rounds you have for it? Do you really want the general public to know you have a shotgun behind your front door, a 38 in your nightstand, a 45 under your truck seat.

IMO the element of surprise is a major advantage, so I feel the less someone knows the better I am. While I do like to talk about my carry pieces and home defense, let just say I don't tell the whole story.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on this?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Equipment is meaningless without training. I don't tell everyone everything I have, but I wouldn't necessarily be afraid to. If they are willing to bet their life on my "kindness", lack of SA, or lack of preparation then that's on them and I'll have no hesitation. Additionally, your average person has no capability of locating you through the web via a random board. It's certainly possible, but the average person who would be willing to do all that you're suggesting is not going to be knowledgeable enough to get the necessary information they need.:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How much do you tell about your personal defense over the internet? I know most of us feel safe on these boards giving out that kind of information, but lets face it this is a public board to be seen by all.

Do you really want the general public to know what kind of gun you carry, where you carry it, how many rounds you have for it? Do you really want the general public to know you have a shotgun behind your front door, a 38 in your nightstand, a 45 under your truck seat.

IMO the element of surprise is a major advantage, so I feel the less someone knows the better I am. While I do like to talk about my carry pieces and home defense, let just say I don't tell the whole story.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on this?
    In my experience the Element of Surprise is often misunderstood by most persons...

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i give out all my serial numbers so somone can report them stolen.. 3/4ths of ingo has my cellular, my address is found in most gas station bathrooms for some odd reason, and fly a flag behind my truck with a social security number on it.

to the point though. most people forget about stuff they read on the interwebs the second they walk out of the room. unless they are nutty than squirrel terds and log peoples' data. in that case, someone deserves a nice stay at the local institution.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Most people can't find addresses or locations for people based solely on message board posts like these. You would have to have the perfect storm of someone willing and able to track down that information, AND who wants to rob people or otherwise take advantage, AND who lives close enough to actually do it, AND to have the cojones to attempt to take advantage of any of you gents, (or ladies.)

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Well...when I am not telling people about the automated robotic miniguns on each of the 4 corners of my home...I am telling them about the 2 heat seaking short range missles batteries on my roof. What I don't want anyone to ever know about and is my greatest secret (which I know is perfectly safe here on the interweb) is the radar equiped motion detecting heat seaking automatic shotguns in every room of my house that first fire taser rounds followed by rubber rounds followed by slugs.

Now, you see, you should never tell people about that type of stuff. I mean...who knows who might read...this type of thing...uh...doh!!!

(INGO does not support the public use of robotic miniguns or heat seaking missles. We are still thinking about the other stuff)

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    All things considered, the less said about what you may carry or own, the better. I suppose it is rather a paranoid reaction, but I wonder at times about the folks who post their list of firearms. I assume if it should ever happen, it may be helpful to organizations that can always find out where you live.

I do have a couple of shooting buddies who have purposely bought arms from private parties with the express purpose of frustrating a trail of registered ownership.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Most people can't find addresses or locations for people based solely on message board posts like these. You would have to have the perfect storm of someone willing and able to track down that information, AND who wants to rob people or otherwise take advantage, AND who lives close enough to actually do it, AND to have the cojones to attempt to take advantage of any of you gents, (or ladies.)

This ^^

Also knowing details about your personal defense wont help a robber that much, unless you are talking about the codes for your alarms and safes and when you are away from your home.
    Knowing what type of gun you use wont make the robber bulletproof. :dunno:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I've robbed before. It was years back, but I learned a thing or two from it. One thing I've learned is don't underestimate your enemy. Your fooling yourself, if you think that all crooks are dumb. If someone wants what you have bad enough he will find a way to get it, period.
    No matter what you do or how well prepared you are, your not untouchable. So I prefer to keep them guessing. The less they know the better.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    This ^^

Also knowing details about your personal defense wont help a robber that much, unless you are talking about the codes for your alarms and safes and when you are away from your home.
    Knowing what type of gun you use wont make the robber bulletproof. :dunno:

It may not help if he knows what type of gun you have, but knowing where you keep it can help him. Let's say a would be robber knows you keep a gun in your night stand. So he waits until your far away from your nightstand before he breaks in. It may not play out that way, but this isn't a far fetch scenario.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It may not help if he knows what type of gun you have, but knowing where you keep it can help him. Let's say a would be robber knows you keep a gun in your night stand. So he waits until your far away from your nightstand before he breaks in. It may not play out that way, but this isn't a far fetch scenario.

I might also tell that I keep a gun in my night stand (which might not even be true) and forget to mention the gun that I always carry on my person.Or even other armed people living in my house.
    The guy who plans to rob me based on what I tell online will get in real trouble really quick.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've robbed before. It was years back, but I learned a thing or two from it. One thing I've learned is don't underestimate your enemy. Your fooling yourself, if you think that all crooks are dumb. If someone wants what you have bad enough he will find a way to get it, period.
    No matter what you do or how well prepared you are, your not untouchable. So I prefer to keep them guessing. The less they know the better.

They will be quessing "Did he shoot 5 or did he shoot 6?". :):
    Not that it matters much with semi-autos. ;)

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I might also tell that I keep a gun in my night stand (which might not even be true) and forget to mention the gun that I always carry on my person.Or even other armed people living in my house.
    The guy who plans to rob me based on what I tell online will get in real trouble really quick.

That's exactly what I"m saying. I don't tell all either, but there are those that do.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's exactly what I"m saying. I don't tell all either, but there are those that do.

Yeah im not going to draw a floor plan of my house with the location of the safes and such.
    But talking about some things is not a problem, some guys are maybe a bit too paranoid.
    Just use common sense.For me I wouldn't say anything online that I wouldn't tell a total stranger in the street.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Well...when I am not telling people about the automated robotic miniguns on each of the 4 corners of my home...I am telling them about the 2 heat seaking short range missles batteries on my roof. What I don't want anyone to ever know about and is my greatest secret (which I know is perfectly safe here on the interweb) is the radar equiped motion detecting heat seaking automatic shotguns in every room of my house that first fire taser rounds followed by rubber rounds followed by slugs.

Now, you see, you should never tell people about that type of stuff. I mean...who knows who might read...this type of thing...uh...doh!!!

(INGO does not support the public use of robotic miniguns or heat seaking missles. We are still thinking about the other stuff)

Reminds me of ol' Betty Lou ...you know ...a combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped heat-seekin shotgun. Kinda makes me feel like Dirty Harry, John Wayne, n G.I. Joe ...wen I got dat turdy point buck! :D

Top Bottom