• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I've shot trap a number of times and really enjoy it, but don't own a shotgun yet. I also want to get into hunting but not sure what interests me most. Turkey or duck. How many shotguns would I need for these purposes, or is there an "all purpose" shotgun that I can get to get myself started.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A good start would be a combo set up from Remington (870) or Mossberg (500).

Can be had in several barrel configurations...one for everything !

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I've been thinking about this, too. It seems that you need:

-- an over/under gun for trap if you're going to get more serious about it;
    -- a field gun for hunting;
    -- a home defense gun (if you want to use a shotgun for that).

The HD gun is specialized for defense -- mag extension, flashlight, ghost ring sights, 18" barrel, sidesaddles. These things would be a pain in the neck to take off every time you want to shoot some trap.

So you need at least two, if not three.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Ive got 4...

Trap (870 TB, actually isnt in my possession, but on its way)
    HD Mossy 500 18.5 barrel, pistol front stock, etc.
    Fowl gun Mossy 835 with 24" barrel with a few chokes.
    Trunk gun NEF 20 gauge single shot.

For a starter, get something that you can change the choke on (for fowl hunting and trap) then get a short barrel to use it for HD if thats what you want to do. Only wat this wouldnt work is if you are shooting doubles... But I know a lot of guys running Model 12's (a pump) for trap...

Just keep in mind anything you take in the woods wont stay show off fancy.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    For years I shot trap, hunted upland game birds, water fowl, and deer with one gun.
    I managed to purchase 2 extra barrels for my Rem 1100 and used it for everything.
    I'd recomend the 1100 or 870. You can change the barrel and install or remove the plug
    in a minute or two.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remington 11-87 Special purpose for hunting and what ever else I may want to do with it.

Winchester 1300 defender pump gun for HD with lights/buzzers/bells...all the "Cool" stuff.

(2) Mossburg 930's just because I like them.

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have two, a browning auto 5 for SD and a Remington 870 for everything else, I also have three barrels for the 870. One cantilevered, one smooth bore slug barrel and one for skeet, trap, and general small game hunting.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Moss 500 w/28 in ribbed bbl for pheasant/quail, Pardner Pump 18 1/2 bbl, for HD and repel boarders, H&R Survivor Sngle shot/ Trunk gun, Winchester 1400 Semi Auto- Duck season, and Wifey's favorite: 20 ga SxS w/ rabbit ear hammers/ Coach gun, for small varmits(raccoons, possums, feral cats), has been used with Slugs for deer back some years ago.

I agree trap and special needs could require different models. Rem 870s and Moss 500s great starter guns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Trap, turkey and duck................1100 Magnum. You can get a 2 3/4" bbl for trap, but I ran Superhandicap and Sporting Clays target loads through mine no prob.
    Was a mean dove rig too.
    Turkey I use lead (got some Hevi Shot Magnum blend to try next year).
    Duck...........I dunno, used steel way back and wasn't impressed (worked though).
    Geese, Bismuth #2's killed great out to 50 yards, but man that stuff is expensive.

if going with steel and trying to keep costs down, in gun and ammo............870 Express Supermagnum. I've had a few, still have one, a short 23" turkey model. Works for HD too.

Note: it's easier to shoot triples on birds with a semi auto ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do Reminton 870's have removable chokes? Been doing a little online browsing, didn't see anything mentioned about that.

That all depends on what barrel you have on there.

Some 870 barrels are threaded for removable chokes, some aren't!

-J-

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I used to do it all with one gun, my 870 express super mag, but I got tired of taking my scope on and off and bought an 870 special purpose turkey gun and use it for deer hunting using a 4x scope and a smooth bore with an improved cylinder choke, (I haven't got a need for sabots). I could have just bought a barrel with a cantilever mount, but I had an extra spot in the safe, so I figured why not.

bob190e

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I purchased a Franchi Renaissance Field O/U 12ga from a buddy. He tells me that he used to hunt and shoot trap with it. It has extended chokes and is very light.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Do Reminton 870's have removable chokes? Been doing a little online browsing, didn't see anything mentioned about that.

The rem choke came out in 1987 and the chokes will work in all 870 (pump), 1100/1187(auto) barrels except for the barrels that had fixed chokes built-in (pre-1987).
    If you buy your shotgun new it will be setup with remchoke screw in chokes.

I use my 1187 for turkey, pheasant, dove and have a extra rifled barrel for deer. I have a 1187 sportsman and a 1187 premier.

If you have the $$$ get the 1100 or 1187. You can shoot the hell out of them WITHOUT having to pump them like an 870! Very dependable shotguns!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remchokes came out in '86

copy:

Remington introduced the new RemChoke system which thereafter was fitted on allModel 1100 and Model 870 shotguns with 21", 26" and 28" barrels. It was not available on 30" barrels, deer guns, target guns or as a retrofit. This patented device allows the shooter to use a wrench to change the shotgun to full, modified or improved cylinder chokes.

In '87 they came out Remchoke 20 gauge.

I looked it up on Rem society as I thought they came out right before the 1187 (few beers since those days). But I do remember being at Lengel's gunshop quite a few times around then (weekly LOL), and there was plenty of customer commentary about what was better, fixed or screw in (this kept the used rack in constantly shifting inventory). Scored my minty 870 Special Field 20 gauge (fixed mod) there, and my 870 SP Turkey with Remchoke (also like new).
    When Big Green first started the Remchokes they had some issues, not with the chokes but with the machining of the barrels for them.

It was smart to not order a gun, instead buy one you could inspect beforehand. My buddy got 3 new 1187's, all before '92 and they were all ordered (2 from Galyans). They were the worst off center choke tube machining I'd ever seen, paper thin on one side, thick on the other, and that at the muzzle. One had a huge ridge from bbl to choke tube transition and probably would have blown the choke tube out had it been shot.

Thankfully they got their act together.

But I still double check any Remchoke bbl before I buy it ;)

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As for shotgun number?

A 20 for rabbits,
    a 12 for turkey
    a 12 for waterfowl (or maybe a 10)
    a 12 for clays (maybe two if playing different games)

so it looks like 4 shotguns is minimum :)

I have an 870SM for HD/turkey
    an 1100M for waterfowl/general
    an 1100 trap for.............well kinda obvious

am looking for another 870 SF 20.................picky rigs, but once learned they make the other stuff easier IMHO.

Would prefer a fixed modified choke version. I had a couple of the later Remchoke (21 and 23" barrels).

Top Bottom