• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I know there is a forum for this, but I wanted to ask in this section.

I'm just curious how many of you have decided to reload?

I was considering it, but then decided not to because I didn't see the cost effectiveness of it. Today I realized I have probably around 1,000+ pieces of 9mm brass I have collected from various range outings. It's just sitting there, with no intended plans. It's basically "free".

After I realized this, I have reconsidered my stance on reloading, and am considering it again. However, I would like to see what all is involved before going forward with it. Any chance someone could show me what all is involved, their basic set up (or non-basic would work too), how to do it, etc? Having never done it or been around it I would prefer to know what I would be getting myself into.

:yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure why you posted outside of the proper section. Please let me know in order to determine if this thread should be moved. I may not get your reasoning.

Anyway, the initial cost can be prohibitive for some who desire to buy the biggest and best equipment, but if you go low-scale, you can have fun and save some money. Here is a pretty good thread on what to expect before you dive in.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Anyway, the initial cost can be prohibitive for some who desire to buy the biggest and best equipment, but if you go low-scale, you can have fun and save some money. Here is a pretty good thread on what to expect before you dive in.
    This ^^^ you can go low cost on equipment and still make good reloads.

Cost effectiveness depends how good you are at seeking out the good deals on components. During the peak of the '08/'09 component shortage (due to the buying panic leading up to and following the election) I was able to purchase enough components to reload 20k rounds of .223 at 10.3 cents/round. I'm not kidding, 10.3 cents per round. I had a connection that got me cheap bullets & cheap powder, and I bought the primers shortly after the election but before the prices went sky-high. Although I had been reloading shotshells for years, I had just gotten set up for metallic reloading around the election and it turned out to be a bad time to buy things, but I still managed to come out much better than buying commercial ammo.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm not sure why you posted outside of the proper section. Please let me know in order to determine if this thread should be moved. I may not get your reasoning.
    I didn't think it would be any different than asking who grows chickens, raises vegetables, or digs their own wells. :dunno:

The main intent was to see who does it as part of their preps and planning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I get your train of thought CR...I have been considering it for some time now. I just am not interested in doing it one at a time. The progressive equipment can be a bit salty.

As a measure of prepping it may become a necessity if the price of ammo keeps escalating.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I do. Did another 650 rounds of 30-06 M2 ball over the weekend. It saves a lot of $ since I put most of what I reload for SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, or a massive spike in ammo cost. A couple of things I learned:

1 .30 caliber can will hold 350 rounds of loose 30-06, or comparative sized casing.

1 .30 caliber can will hold 700 rnds of loose .45 acp

1 .30 caliber can will hold 280 rounds of M2 on Enbloc clips

1 .50 can will hold around 1500 rounds of loose .45 acp

1 .50 can will hold 840 rounds of 5.56 on strippers in bandoliers

Thats all I got right now, I don't feel like pulling anymore cans out.:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do. Did another 650 rounds of 30-06 M2 ball over the weekend. It saves a lot of $ since I put most of what I reload for SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, or a massive spike in ammo cost. A couple of things I learned:

1 .30 caliber can will hold 350 rounds of loose 30-06, or comparative sized casing.

1 .30 caliber can will hold 700 rnds of loose .45 acp

1 .30 caliber can will hold 280 rounds of M2 on Enbloc clips

1 .50 can will hold around 1500 rounds of loose .45 acp

1 .50 can will hold 840 rounds of 5.56 on strippers in bandoliers

Thats all I got right now, I don't feel like pulling anymore cans out.:D

What are you using to do this as in equipment???

I need to be able to load .45 ACP, .223, 30-06, 308, 243. Just curious.
    I do not want to jump in un-informed and waste time-money.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    What are you using to do this as in equipment???

I need to be able to load .45 ACP, .223, 30-06, 308, 243. Just curious.
    I do not want to jump in un-informed and waste time-money.

I have a Lee pro 1000, a loadmaster, 4 hole turret, 12 ga load all, and 20 ga load all.

I load 9mm, 40 S&W, .45 acp, .45 Colt, .38/357, .30 carbine, 5.56/2.23, 30-06, .270, .308/7.62x51, 45-70, .303 Brit, 30-30.

I think that is all:scratch:
    I generally keep the pro 1000 set up for 9mm or .40, and the loadmaster for my .45 acp and .30 carbine, since I crimp those rounds, and load a few thousand whenever I get in the mood. I do the other calibers on the 4 hole auto-index, especially the rifle rounds.

I can't remember the last time I bought factory ammo, though I think I am going to order a few more cases of IMI M855 from Wideners soon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man, I have got to get out more. This is all new to me and I have been shooting since age 12.........62 now so I am way behind the curve. Always something new to learn.

Edit...Was always able to keep the ammo supply numbers up out of pocket. Prices were not nuts and income was good so just never took the time and energy to learn. Spent my youth riding motorcycles, racing and boating. Managed to get a lot of shooting in there. Now, as I approach retirement things are changing all around. Ammo has gone the way of gas....income has gone the way of the economy and I have a lot more time on my hands.

Last edited:

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I started reloading because I thought it would be a good skill that could come in handy someday. It has been a good hobby for me since I work nights. Reloading I quiet enough that I can do it at night when everyone else in the house is a sleep and not have to worry about waking anyone up. There is no way I have saved any money doing it but it has enabled me to shoot a whole lot more for same money. Here lately I have been thinking of getting into casting my own bullets just to add another skill. Personally I belive both these skills could prove to be invaluable during many SHTF situations. Both as a way to stay stocked with ammo and as way to keep your mind busy.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lee Classic Turret with 9mm and 7.62x51 dies. Just been doing 9mm so far (around 4000 rounds) though - don't have enough brass for 7.62. This way I can get 124 gr JHP for about 16 cents a round instead of 25 cents. And have components to make another 10,000 (if I save my brass).

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I only re-load when my mag is empty....seriously though, I've been beating it around for quite some time myself. I agree that the savings isn't there initially, but as you stated, there's a BUNCH of "free" brass in the closet that will certainly help with the cost and I have a 50lb block of lead in the garage. There are a LOT of videos on YouTube about re-loading, step by step instructions and walk throughs. I have certainly decided to do it, now it is just a matter of deciding WHEN. Gotta clean out another corner of the garage and build a bench, then maybe the equipment needed will magically appear? Maybe holiday gifts or hand-me-downs from another INGO member that is upgrading?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I have started reloading, I've had the equipment for years, just never got around to it till recently. I'm using a RBCS 4x4 Auto press mainly and a Rockchucker when I feel like it. I also have 2 lead smelters and molds for most calibers that I shoot. I also keep a large stock pile of scrap lead that I've gathered for a while. I've not cast my own bullets yet, but that is on my list of things to try soon. The goal is to be able to load what i need IF ammo jumps to insane prices or the feds decide to do something crazy like limit how much ammo one can buy or something.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I see the Lee name a lot. Is it a good choice for a starter..

I got a deal on my Lee pro 1000 in, I think, March of '04, and did not have a clue about reloading. I got a couple of books and it all went from there. I have stuck with Lee because I think it is of good quality and the ease I can change calibers. My hobby before was model railroading, but since I have moved and now live in a home I bought as an investment, I can't do that anymore until I build my permanent home on the farm. So I until then, I will just keep cranking out my SHTF stash.

togden812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Osgood
    Does anyone recommend Dillon. Iv'e been thinking about reloading for a while, just don't know who to go with. I understand there are ups and downs for every company. Also would anyone suggest a progressive loader to start with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am of the same mind, I want to get something progressive so I can be productive. A friend does our 12 ga. shot shells and he wants to get involved as well. This is the obvious next step.

Top Bottom