Brownsburg

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    "which can be used with the bandage packaging to make a chest seal"
    I was wondering when some one was going to mention this.

For true emergencies, some gauze, string or rope tape and plastic are all you really need. Anything more and you can't do much good, anything less, doesn't really "have" to have attention.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    "which can be used with the bandage packaging to make a chest seal"
    I was wondering when some one was going to mention this.

For true emergencies, some gauze, string or rope tape and plastic are all you really need. Anything more and you can't do much good, anything less, doesn't really "have" to have attention.

Doc Gunn is a lot like Alton Brown (the chef)... nothing should only have one purpose. I asked him about commercial chest seals. His response was essentially the same as "better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at home", better to have that simple kit than a bunch of expensive single purpose items sitting at home. So instead, put 3 pieces of tape on there and tape 3 sides of the packaging over the hole.

That simple GSW kit fits in a pocket and can take care of pretty much any major trauma.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Doc Gunn is a lot like Alton Brown (the chef)... nothing should only have one purpose. I asked him about commercial chest seals. His response was essentially the same as "better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at home", better to have that simple kit than a bunch of expensive single purpose items sitting at home. So instead, put 3 pieces of tape on there and tape 3 sides of the packaging over the hole.

That simple GSW kit fits in a pocket and can take care of pretty much any major trauma.
    I couldn't follow the "tone" of your post.
    What I was saying was that using "trash" is a great way to increase what you carry, without having to increase what you carry. ;)
    I've never heard of Doc Gunn. :dunno:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    After riding an ambulance for 15 years, I carry my old jump kit in the truck all the time.......

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm in the process of building my first of three first aid kits. I'm also going with the Condor rip away pouch. It will hold what I need it to and with the MOLLE it can easily be attached to or removed from a chest rig, backpack, or rifle case.

:+1:For Condor

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have another question to add to this. What kind of med kits do you recommend, and where can you find them? How much would I be spending for this?

I've been wanting to purchase one. But don't want to buy a cheapo from wal-mart.
    Latex gloves, gauze pads, cloth, duct tape and a cell phone.

If your shooting you should have your eye protection on already, right?

Last edited:

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    GLOVE UP!!! There's nothing better in the world than having staph infection passed on to you, not even taking into consideration any bloodborne pathogens, that can be prevented by gloving up. Do it for YOUR loved ones.
    On a happier note, the app store has several apps for first aid/cpr that are very handy for those with only a phone.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Always, basically just trained in how to so some patch work till the pro's arrive. [CLS]

So I keep bandages, for any foreseeable gunshot wound, as well as the accouterments (gloves, bandaids, antibios, basic pain meds, sting kits, etc...).

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I couldn't follow the "tone" of your post.
    What I was saying was that using "trash" is a great way to increase what you carry, without having to increase what you carry. ;)

Sorry, Doc Gunn is the person who came up with the idea of taping those 3 things together to make a small GSW kit. I was just pointing out exactly what you said.

I keep the big kits in my cars, but I always keep a pair of gloves and a CPR shield on my person and if I have big pockets or am going to the range, I throw one of those GSW kits in my pocket.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    The EMT-B State certification test is a b!tch. Takes alllll day and isn't easy. I'm a professional rescuer which is emt-b minus the ability to give oxygen, help the person take their prescribed meds and a couple other skills but nothing huge.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I like to build my own, my emt cert comes in handy when I have to use it, but here is what I carry.

GLOVES are a #1 thing to have, if you dont carry anything else get these
    roll gauze
    4x4 bandages
    5x9 bandages
    oclussive dressings ( for sucking chest wounds )
    quik-clot
    tape
    para cord to stop blood flow for hemorages
    orajel for topical numbing
    alcohol
    new skin

all in a handy pouch from condor.
    Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://www.airsoftpost.com/images/large/Pouch_Matrix_MA16_lg.jpg

I started putting some together to sell to some IMPD guys I know and it went over pretty well. They like to keep some EMS in their cars for them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Doc Gunn is Anthony Berrera, MD. He's an emergency room physician with over 20 years of experience at his job. He's also an associate instructor with DTI (John & Vicki Farnam). He studied with the late Chris Dwiggins (US Army Special Forces, retired as SGM I think) who was one of the guys who essentially invented the modern concept of "tactical medicine." One of the classes he teaches is the one-day "Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds."

There is a topic about it in the tactics and training forum on here with a link to a review I wrote a few years ago:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...300-tactical_treatment_of_gunshot_wounds.html

Top Bottom