• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Johnson&johnson is pretty much the only brand for first-aid supplies that I trust.

my first aid kid includes; Gauze, alcohol pads, H2O2, neosporin, medtape, pre-wrap, a lighter, needle and thread (not sutures, but better than nothing), butterfly sutures, fingertip band-aids, superglue, allergy pills for my anaphylaxis, an epi-pen, gloves, duct tape and assorted sizes of band-aids.

this takes up the medium pouch of my day-bag and weighs about 10lbs total. its great for hiking, biking, etc, and would go easily along to the range.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don't necessarily recommend just buying an off-the-shelf first aid kit. While those are great and better than nothing, they don't include some of the items that may be necessary in the event of a major incident on a shooting range. Rhino lists some good examples of things that can't be found in a simple first aid kit. Some other examples would be a decompression needle, lac repair kit, CAT Tourniquet, IBD, combat gauze or QuikClot. *Disclaimer* some of the items above should be used only by trained personnel.*

IMHO your range MedKit should have comfort items (bandaids, aspirin, burn cream, antiseptic etc...) and means to begin treatment of more severe wounds until the proper personnel can take-over (EMT, Paramedic, Hospital)

You should also consider where you spend your time on the range as well. If you frequent an urban setting, like MCFG, help is only a few short minutes away. However, if you shoot in a more rural environment, help could be a half-hour or more away and more advanced supplies may be necessary to preserve life.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I usually take a med kit to the range, but, truthfully, sometimes I forget it. I don't keep it in the car for environmental issues.. mostly temp extremes. That said, my range bag has 2 packs of Quik Clot and field dressings at all times. I really should get some IV supplies as well... it's been a few years, bit I think I can still find veins.

Does IN have Good Sam laws?

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Several

Several kits, one stays in the vehicle, other goes to the line, yet another for indoor shooting, had a guy once get hit in the head with some splatter, looked impressive, as do all head lacerations, got it controlled pretty quick.

2 X 2's, maybe some gauze, I like the Walgreen's bandaids, they stuck really well, some sting swabs, few rolls of kling.

I'm goin on 33 years as an EMT, those who don't know, I spend 6 years as a medic at Wishard EMS. Keep it basic, keep it simple.

As always, YMMV

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    My Doc Gunn-recommended minimalist kit is always on my person or nearby:
    • Israeli Battle Dressing (6-in.)
    • Nasopharyngeal airway
    • Needle catheter
    • Two long strips of tape wrapped around the above
    I also have a pair of nitrile gloves in one of my pocket organizers and a small kit with comfort items like band-aids, antiseptic towelettes, etc.

I also have several bandanas on my person all the time. When I sustained my head laceration, my IBD kit was in my truck, so I used a bandana to apply pressure, followed by another on top of it once the first had soaked through. I don't carry gauze, but if I absolutely had to pack a wound with a large void space, a bandana or a piece of it would do. Concerns over infection would be less urgent than stopping the bleeding.

I'm considering adding a dedicated tourniquet, because they don't take much room and they're really easy to use quickly if you need to stop some serious bleeding and don't have time to apply an IBD. Until I do that, I rely on the IBD because it can be used as a tourniquet in the event direct pressure doesn't do the job.

And yes, I know how and when to use everything I carry (plus some stuff I don't carry).

Ditto Rhino...Doc Gunn's class and equipment. My kit isn't for the BG, and hopefully not for me, but I prefer to have it with me at all times. One in each vehicle, one in the range bag, and one in my "Kit":yesway:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    unfortunately this is as close to a medical kit I have, outside of band aids, my kids epi pen, and other comfort items as mentioned above.
    palm-centro-smartphone.jpg

Now if I could photo shop E5Ranger's contact number onto this stock photo it could show 911 and his contact on the "emergency" speed dial.:D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unsolicited advice:

For those who have chosen for whatever reasons to have a hemostatic agent in their kit (QuikClot, Celox, etc.), please make sure you understand how and when to use it properly. For those who buy things and don't get the education to go with it, such preparations require the use of direct pressure to be effective. Ultimately it's the pressure that gets the blood stopped, whether the chemicals help or not. So please don't just buy it and expect to sprinkle it onto an arterial spray and expect it to magically heal the wound.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Here is my issue with store packaged kits...

Once you use something, the whole thing is worthless. Once they are open and pulled apart, they are never going back together and so many of the things are individually wrapped things that are difficult to get replaced.

I made my own kits with a 5.11 toiletries bag that work GREAT. For $25, these bags are perfect. I will take pictures and post soon.

I also always keep the Doc Gunn recommended kits on me. IBD, nasopharyngeal airway, needle catheter all held together with 3 pieces of tape (which can be used with the bandage packaging to make a chest seal).

Here are the pictures of the compact gunshot wound kit:

gsw_kit_1.jpg

gsw_kit_2.jpg

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Here are my homemade bags. I keep one in each car.

Typical 5.11 insane quality.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

This shows how it expands open:

DSC_0010.jpg

And here are the contents:

DSC_0012.jpg

There is a large ziplock bag with various dressings such as large abdominal gauze pads, various size gauze rolls, 4x4 gauze pads, and some blood blocker kits. Much of this I would have used IBDs instead had I known about them when I built the kits.

Small ziplock full of various types of band-aids
    Small ziplock full of alcohol pads and antiseptic wipes
    GSW kit (IBD, nasopharyngeal airway, needle catheter)
    Ace wrap
    Self adhesive wrap
    chemical ice pack
    chemical heat packs
    emergency blanket
    poncho
    sting swabs
    chemical light stick
    50' of paracord
    duct tape
    60mL syringe
    10mL syringe (lure lock & catheter tip)
    tape
    burn gel
    burn pad
    CPR mask (adult and infant)
    2 pairs gloves
    stethescope
    scissors
    tweezers
    blistex
    sunblock
    asprin
    tylenol
    advil
    hand sanitizer
    anti-diarrheal
    neosporin
    gas-x
    benadryl
    hydrocortizone
    zip ties
    enteral feeding tube
    catheter bag

I might be missing some stuff. Those last two things are kind of unique to our needs.

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Man, I am a terrible person to shoot with. I don't have any life saving devices other than some paracord or shoestring... I am extremely grossed out by blood and guts. I'm not against any medical training... I just don't have any yet.

I do like Jack's answer an awful lot, though. It made me chuckle.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I don't need one and any one I need to shoot should have brought his own.

Now thats classic Jack !!! I would send rep, but it wont let me....

I really need to update a few of my kits, Im still old school in alot of ways. But Im comfortable using it and the military training is ingrained pretty deep with it.

I have added quickclot over the years and need to pick up some more packs, I would love to find the small packets like we use for cuts on fingers at work, anyone see these single use small packs?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Man, I am a terrible person to shoot with. I don't have any life saving devices other than some paracord or shoestring... I am extremely grossed out by blood and guts. I'm not against any medical training... I just don't have any yet.

We're going to have to take you on as a project!

Top Bottom