• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    I bought my first pistol in February and have an AR on order which should be in at the end of October. My question is if I buy another gun this month what are the chances that I get denied when my AR comes in at the end of October? Is there a limit to how many or what kind you can buy in a month or year? Any input on this is much appreciated.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Depends on her mood. Take her out to dinner, buy her something nice. Let her know how much she means to you and that these aren't just guy things. Get her into shooting also. It's easier to have an expensive hobby if you're both into it. After all, those expensive purses that women like can be just as hard for us to understand as it is for them to understand a passion about firearms. Of course if you're into expensive purses too. . . .

ccolip2189

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    New Palestine
    I have been told once you have purchased 3 guns at anytime you are put on their watch list no big deal that you are but I could have been fed a line of crap before

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The only limit is how much money you have. Buy more than one handgun from the same dealer in a short time (a week IIRC) and you might get looked at by the BATFE, but it's perfectly legal.

They key is, is the poster in Indiana???? Different states have different rules. Most notably, Virginia just overturned a 1 handgun/month rule that had been in effect for more than 10 years.

As long as your state of residence allows it then you're good to go.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I bought my first pistol in February and have an AR on order which should be in at the end of October. My question is if I buy another gun this month what are the chances that I get denied when my AR comes in at the end of October? Is there a limit to how many or what kind you can buy in a month or year? Any input on this is much appreciated.

There is no limit to the number of guns you can buy, and no connection to the NICS background check system. When the background check is conducted they only know what kind (handgun, rifle, shotgun, other) you are wanting to buy at the time, not how many. There is no indication to NICS if the transaction ever even occurred.

In this state (non-border) if you buy more than one HANDGUN in any 5 consecutive business days the dealer must report it on a special form and send it to ATF & ISP by the end of the day. If it looks like you are dealing without a license ATF may want to have a chat with you. We do plenty of multiple sale forms and ATF has yet to call us about a single one. You really have to be buying a large number of handguns. An interesting point here, as outlined in one of the ATF newsletters: It is NOT federal/State business days, it's the days the dealership is open! Any day (including holidays) the shop is "open" and conducts business is a business day! If a shop is only open on Wednesdays it would take 5 weeks for 5 business days to go by!

From the ATF website:

"A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold."

Thus far we have found the ATF people nationally and locally to be very reasonable and VERY helpful. I call them at least once a month with a question and have ALWAYS had an IMMEDIATE answer. If you are not reselling the guns you buy to make money you have nothing to worry about. :twocents:

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    They key is, is the poster in Indiana???? Different states have different rules. Most notably, Virginia just overturned a 1 handgun/month rule that had been in effect for more than 10 years.

As long as your state of residence allows it then you're good to go.

Given that the poster introduced himself as from Madison county in his intro post, and that this is an Indiana site, it was a safe assumption. If this was asked on arfcom I would have qualified it, but since this is Indiana Gun Owners, people who ask here who aren't in Indiana are responsible for figuring their own state out.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Given that the poster introduced himself as from Madison county in his intro post, and that this is an Indiana site, it was a safe assumption. If this was asked on arfcom I would have qualified it, but since this is Indiana Gun Owners, people who ask here who aren't in Indiana are responsible for figuring their own state out.

Ill admit it, i dont do background checks on posters before offering a reply. Maybe they live in indiana but go to college in a different state? Possible?

You know what happens when you assume....

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    When I purchased a rifle from Dunhams not too long ago I swear I read something that said you can only buy a gun a month. Now I wonder what exactly it said.

:n00b:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You know what happens when you assume....

I assume that the poster knows they are posting on an Indiana gun group and knows that the likely information they get would apply to Indiana. Oddly enough, I didn't assume they were a college student.

Furthermore, I assume since very very few places have restrictions on the numbers of guns one can buy that even if the poster isn't in Indiana then the odds are good they probably aren't affected by those restrictions.

Furthermore, I assume that anyone interested in guns who DOES live in one of those fascist states they if they follow the advice they get on an Indiana Gun group and they get in trouble in their fascist state then they deserve whatever consequences that happen.

And there was no background check needed, I saw the OPs intro post and remembered the username so I felt pretty confident in answering as I did. If your beef is that I didn't clarify that I was talking about Indiana when discussing federal regulations then I really don't care.

Serve back to you in this pissing match.

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    As many as you want.

Very true BUT when you buy the third gun, from the same FFL, on the same day, YOU WILL GET A VISIT FROM BATF within 30 days. Both BATF agents were very polite though.

Just a heads up: If you are going to give advice you may want to clarify things a bit.

Top Bottom