• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • escooper1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 29, 2015
    Crown Point
    Does anyone have any opinions on the FNH 5.7. Is it accurate and is it comfortable to shoot. What about the ammo for it the guy at Bass Pro said they were teflon coated and armor piercing but I thought all armour piercing rounds were illegal. Whatmakes this gun so special that everybody wanted one when they came out.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    From what I have heard or read, it uses a small, light (27gr bullet or something like that), extremely fast round with very little recoil. Combine this with how light the gun itself is, and it seems like a lot of fun to shoot as long as you can pay to feed it.

As far as everyone wanting one, I'm not sure. Cool factor is there, it is certainly different, maybe someone has money burning a hole in their pocket, who knows. Someone will be along to give better information soon

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Point Blank range in Carmel, IN has on one their rental list. Fun little bugger to shoot. Itty-bitty little rounds that fire like angry hornets. Snappy recoil, pretty accurate, odd feeling having 20 rnds in a pistol mag.

Defeats class 3 armor, but NOT due to voodoo, alien tech, or Teflon as per gun-store lore. It's just a really high velocity round, and as we know: speed defeats body armor. So it's armor piercing in the way that rifle and ALL high-velocity ammo is. Stop listening to Bass-Pro for info would be my recommendation. :)

Fun and accurate little gun, the biggest drawback is the cost of feeding it. The 5.7 round is kinda spicy, but so are a lot of rounds. It does seem to be picking up steam a bit, so we may see that start to drop eventually.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Other than it having a 20 round mag, can't find ANY valid reason to own one. Ammo is on the 'pricey' side, recoil isn't diminished compared to other rounds, and there's other calibers and handguns out there that simply make more sense for SD purposes.

If I were a safe-queen collector, maybe I'd :spend: at one. But (for me) guns are tools first, and anything else second. They get carried, and used. If it doesn't go 'Bang' it's an expensive paperweight, and not near the beauty or craftsmanship of a Faberge egg, even the clones.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Question for those who know more. I know this is a very "hot" round. Most people use hollow points in defensive calibers to minimize over-penetration and liability. Does the 5.7 have significant issues with over-penetration?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know a fellow who has one. He has a farm and keeps it with him when doing tractor work. He says it is handy for varmints. Flat shooting, accurate and manageable recoil.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I didn't find the recoil to be snappy at all, the trigger was just okay. I also wasn't a fan of the safety.

One of the biggest pros, for me, would be the exceptionally flat trajectory of the 5.7 round. I went out and shot a friend's a few years back, and was easily ringing steel at 150 yards. (I'm only an average shot with any weapon)

For a SD gun, though, I think there are better options out there, unless you have beaucoup bucks to buy enough ammo to properly train with it. If I were so inclined, it would be a great backpacking/trail gun due to it's lightweight, high capacity, and ability to hit targets at varying distances.

sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    If you don't want to spend the dough on that but want something similiar, the PMR-30 is a good deal. It is rimfire, but its a blast to shoot (if you can find ammo)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Previously stated, recoil not bad, trigger ok, ammo price .37 round on Gunbot.. 22 TCM, 300 FPS faster, pistol is cheaper, 1911 platform so the trigger is good, ammo same price at the moment but generally cheaper than 5.7.. Your call but personally I really TCM.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Does anyone have any opinions on the FNH 5.7. Is it accurate and is it comfortable to shoot. What about the ammo for it the guy at Bass Pro said they were teflon coated and armor piercing but I thought all armour piercing rounds were illegal. Whatmakes this gun so special that everybody wanted one when they came out.

I have had one for a while. The fiream is best when considering custom ammunition that extends the capabilites, beyond factory ammunition. The handgun is light, accurate, flat shooting, low recoil, but huge.

i think with factory ammo its of limited usefulness, but premium custom loaded ammo takes the capabilities into a special niche. I think some people are reloading this now, but i am not sure what slugs are available

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I love shooting mine. I read somewhere comparing the recoil to a ticked off hamster and would say it's pretty close. Ammo has come down in price. Palmetto state has it for $19.99-$21.99 per 50. I shoot the FN 197 which is a 40gr vmax tipped round. The bullets are a .224 caliber (same as ar ammo).

Top Bottom