How far do you extend your pistol skill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    What distance is everyone shooting your pistols at these days? From what I see on the "internet" most people are around 7 yards these days. I did see Kyle Defoor's video the other day about shooting at distance, and I also saw Pat Rogers talking about shooting out to 25 yards at least. What's everyone's thoughts on how far you need to be able to make effective hits?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I like to shoot longer distances with a handgun. When the IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association) used to hold matches here I shot 9 and 10 inch center fire handguns out to 200 meters to good effect and .22 caliber ranges out to 100 meters. Loads of fun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It really depends on what pistol Im shooting. My LCP I tend to keep it short range, 7 yards and under. My hunting pistols, I shoot at 25-50 yards. A few of my full size carry guns I have taken out that far, but typically stay at 25 and under.

My favorite is plinking at pop cans with the 22 pistols, usually at 20-25 yards. Its a little bit of a challenge, and keeps my pistol skills sharp.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    with my carry guns, I usually do some warm up drills at 7. take most of my shots around 15, and dump a mag or two into 25 yards. that's just average. with my .22 i'll usually do a lot more 25 yard shots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We practice at 25 yds. then out to 50.
    At the end of the day we have a contest as to who buys the beer. Most hits out of a full mag at 100. Low count buys.
    Son and I run 1911's...SIL H&K USP all are .45 ACP

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wow I am impressed most are close to each other! I generally shoot between 10 and 50 yards with my pistols, depending on targets and drills. We like to shoot at bowling pins at 50 yards, proper trigger mechanics is so important the further you get out!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow I am impressed most are close to each other! I generally shoot between 10 and 50 yards with my pistols, depending on targets and drills. We like to shoot at bowling pins at 50 yards, proper trigger mechanics is so important the further you get out!!

Sporting clays at 25 yds. are a great way to get trigger discipline. If you use a .22 in this way you can punch holes in them until the pop. .45 they are done on the first hit.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    We write down our goals before we go to the range and do our defensive shooting drills at 5,7 and 15yds. Once we achieve our goals for that day, we break out the fun targets, usually water filled plastic bottles, and blast away from various distances.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends on which pistol, but mostly 25-35 yards.

38 special target loads, sometimes I go down to 20.

41 mag anywhere from 30-50, I've tried it at 200 but couldn't see where I was impacting on the berm

1911 anywhere from 25-35

Hi Power and M&P; 25 yards.

Sig P290 (carry gun), 20 yards

Buckmark though is my favorite. Usually shoot at 25 yards on a 3" steel plate, but I often go to 50 or anywhere in between and shoot at the 3" and the 6" gong. Furthest I ever made contact was at 240 yards with it, shooting a 18x18 steel plate.

I hardly ever shoot 15 yards or closer, unless I'm shooting with someone who doesn't shoot handguns much.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Most of my practice is at about 10 yards. We will also practice at 25 and 75 yards. There's a lot of satisfaction in ringing steel at 75 yards. My youngest is pretty good at hitting at 75 yards single handed with his CZ 75. I envy him his 17 year old eyesight. I'm happy if I can even see the target at 75 yards with bifocals.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It is sometimes fun to switch things up every once in a while. My father and I will have "shoot offs" where we take turns picking out small targets in the wilderness (bugs, tree branches, shotgun shells, etc) and take shots at them. We pick targets 10-25 yards.

Last winter we had fun shooting out to 100 yards with my Kahr. The 9mm is pretty versatile! If any of you guys follow Hickock45 on YouTube, he often takes shots 200+ yards with most pistols. It will definitely reach out that far...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most of my practice is at about 10 yards. We will also practice at 25 and 75 yards. There's a lot of satisfaction in ringing steel at 75 yards. My youngest is pretty good at hitting at 75 yards single handed with his CZ 75. I envy him his 17 year old eyesight. I'm happy if I can even see the target at 75 yards with bifocals.

I can shoot without my glasses and hit for the most part. Hitting clays at 25 yds is harder than it used to be. I can do that better than the boys but they beat the steel at 100. I hit it maybe 2 of 8 with the rest being so close that is it was a man he would surrender.....Maybe....:)

At 50 I can go 8 for 8 if I do my part.

Godbybe

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Valparaiso NWI
    2-15 yards for the most part. I read one time that the average gunfight takes place at something like 5 yards, I could be off on that a little but it sounds about right. I mostly practice with IDPA targets at fairly close range. Long shots I save for steel.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    What distance is everyone shooting your pistols at these days? From what I see on the "internet" most people are around 7 yards these days. I did see Kyle Defoor's video the other day about shooting at distance, and I also saw Pat Rogers talking about shooting out to 25 yards at least. What's everyone's thoughts on how far you need to be able to make effective hits?

Whatever the short range out at Crosley is, which is the only place I have to shoot for now. Buddy's family has some property they didn't mind us shooting at, had some cans setup on a log in the woods at 25-30 FEET (breaking in a small Kahr) but don't want to over extend my welcome out there. I'd be there every day if they'd allow it and I could afford it! Haha.

Top Bottom