How does sending in a handgun for warranty work, er, work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    If the problem is with the slide, you ship it to the manufacturer and they ship it to you, but if the problem is with the frame, you send to the manufacturer, but they have to send it back to an FFL, is this correct? Would you have to pay the FFL a transfer fee?

Thanks!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have gotten rifles shipped directly back to my house from the gunsmith. The bad thing was sometimes they were not requiring an adult signature. Coming home and finding a freshly barreled rifle in the snow by my porch was not my favorite experience.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can send the entire firearm to an FFL or manufacturer overnight via UPS from the UPS distribution center and they can send it directly back to you as well, from my experience. To use US post, they must go through an FFL.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    I just sent my p85 for warranty work. put it in a box dropped it at ups. shipped to them. they shipped it back to my house when done. had to show id and sign for it upon return. Told me not to mark the package that it was a firearm.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Contact the manufacturer and they should issue you shipping instructions. I just sent a Marlin via UPS and got it back the same way.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Both the firearms that I have sent back for warranty work arrived at my door via Fed Ex. with an adult signature required.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If its a Smith & Wesson, I've called them, received a prepaid shipping box in the mail 2 days later, dropped it off at FedEx and then receive it back about a week later with an extra mag.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have used UPS to ship handguns back to the manufacturer. UPS will let you ship firearms to a manufacturer or FFL, but not to individuals.

I have received them back by UPS and FedEx. UPS brings them to my house, but it requires an adult signature and ID. FedEx required me to come to their facility and pick it up - no home delivery.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    Definitely call the manufacture and ask to get prepaid shipping. Shipping a gun can be expensive because it has to be overnight. Your other option is to have a gun store ship it fo ya. But it is the receiver of the gun that makes it a gun. All other parts like barrel, trigger parts, slide can be shipped like a standard package and no FFL required.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Remington/Marlin uses UPS. I called them and they sent me a shipping label via email that afternoon and I shipped it from the UPS center on 16th St the next day. I was a little pissed off on the return though b/c it sat in a UPS center in Ohio from Friday to Monday! Don't they drive on the weekend???? :dunno:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Ruger service center requires FedEx. Also, you have to go to a FedEx service center, not just anyplace that ships FedEx. The two closest to me were the north side of Anderson and the west side of Indianapolis. To ship a Ruger Super Blackhawk was about $70.00.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Not too long ago, I had to send a revolver back to S&W for warranty work, they sent me prepaid shipping label with instructions. I dropped it off at the Fedex center west, and 10 days later it was delivered to my door, with me signing for it.

Dave

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ruger service center requires FedEx. Also, you have to go to a FedEx service center, not just anyplace that ships FedEx. The two closest to me were the north side of Anderson and the west side of Indianapolis. To ship a Ruger Super Blackhawk was about $70.00.

I recently sent a revolver via UPS to Uberti for warranty work. Only proviso was to label the package as gun parts. It was only about $35. Uberti was not pleased or helpful, but they did fulfill their obligations to receive the weapon. Still waiting to see if they actually fix it.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Call the manufacturer first and see if they will do a pre-paid shipping label.

If it is a long gun, you can ship it via USPS (handguns can only be shipped by licensed dealers or manufacturers). This is immensely cheaper than shipping any other way. USPS has lower rates and cheaper insurance.

If it is a handgun, you are stuck with FedEx or UPS and they both require firearms be shipped super duper extra special priority, so they can ream you for every last cent. You will be likely paying $40+ for shipping.

3rd option is to go to a local FFL and see if they will ship it for you. They can ship handguns via USPS, so the whole thing might be a lot cheaper. On the other hand, they will likely charge you a fee to do so ($20 or so), so you'll have to do some pricing to figure out if that really is cheaper.

The manufacturer will then ship it back to you using USPS, FedEx, or UPS. It doesn't really matter, since it's on their dime. It can be shipped directly to you (it is supposed to be signature required, but as another poster noted, they don't always do that).

timrok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Wish I could say the same thing about Springfield Armory I gave them numerous chances to get the shipping aspect right, good thing Blythe's takes care of their customers.

Top Bottom