How does 9mm feel compared to .40 or .22?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    So, I've fired .22 and .40, but want to get a 9mm for my first handgun because a lot of people recommend it and its supposed to have less recoil than a .40, and costs a lot less than .45 ammo (which if i understand correctly, has less recoil than a .40). Also, i dont want a .22 because it seemed a little underpowered (less exhilarating than the .40 :)).

Will it feel like its somewhere in between a .22 and a .40? Thanks.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    .40 is a sharper recoil than 9mm and .45. A 9mm is much larger than .22. So it will be between .22 and .40, but closer to .40.

As with all guns, recoil is dependent on the weight of the gun.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The cost of SD ammo are all pretty much the same.

Practice ammo=reloading or waiting for killer bulk deals.

Cost shouldn't be the issue, what you can put the most rounds in the rings the fastest should be what matters most. My 2 cents.

Anywho, to me recoil isn't something to write home about. I've yet to dinf a gun/caliber I didn't like shooting :-)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Kazaam, I LOVE shooting my .22 handguns... I go to Friday Night Steel, and it is CHEAP..... Other people leave more money in BRASS, lying on the tarp, than it costs me to shoot !!!!!

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I shoot 9mm and .45 very well. I can't shoot .40 for crap. I thoroughly dislike the round. Its me, obviously. However, my point being, you should shoot what you get on target the most. I find .40 to have very heavy recoil compared to 9mm and more awkward recoil then .45.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I prefer 9mm over 40, why? Because I seem to shoot better with it.
    I'd suggest finding and shoot each. Find what is best for you and go with it. Everyone is different.
    I also like shooting 22's as well, its nice and cheap and just fun. Then again I like shooting Mosin's too.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Kazaam. the only way to know is to shoot each one and see what feels the best to you. If you are anywhere near the Anderson area PM me. I would be willing to let you try mine.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I prefer the 9mm over any (other than .22) just for the price to practice. .40 cal isn't much more expensive but I always figured if I was dropped of in a far away land, I could find some 9mm or .45 ammo. Not so much with .40 cal.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Kazaam. the only way to know is to shoot each one and see what feels the best to you. If you are anywhere near the Anderson area PM me. I would be willing to let you try mine.

Thanks for the generous offer! Unfortunately, i'm a little far from there. Maybe one day i'll take you up on that offer though, haha. Thanks for all the help guys.

msteiner17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have an M&P 40 and a G17... The recoil of my 40 doesn't feel like it is a whole lot more than my 9. Sure when I first shot the 40 I was pretty anxious... but I love to shoot them both. Just have to decide which one I want to use for the USPSA match this weekend.
    I have also shot a .22 pistol (during a handgun training course)... which to me, doesn't feel much worse than firing a bb gun or paintball gun.

Last edited:

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    My first (and so far only) handgun was a Springfield XD-40. It's a top-notch quality gun. I had shot .22 pistols before and was a bit surprised at how poorly I did when I first shot the XD. There was more recoil than I expected - not to the degree of hurting or making it want to jump out of your hand, just more than I was used to. With practice I've gotten more accustomed to the way it shoots, so I don't really even think about it now.

The only thing I don't care for is the weight. It's a bit heavy and bulky to CC. For that reason alone, if I had it to do over again, I might go with a 9mm, simply because there is a greater variety of thinner, lighter pistols from which to choose. Don't get me wrong, I love my XD, and I think it will do far better in an OC carry. I just need to find a decent holster for that. I don't see me ever getting rid of it.

Back to your point, though I haven't fired a 9mm, I believe the difference in recoil between the two is quite noticeable, but I don't think it's enough to let that be the deciding factor.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    You can also look for shooting ranges that offer gun rentals. I go to one across the river in Kentucky that has a wide selection of rentals in a variety of calibers- semis mostly, but with a few wheelguns.

Top Bottom