• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    When I go the range, I basically just load up the mag, throw some lead downrange, pat myself on the back for hitting the paper, and repeat. I'll shoot one-handed (strong and weak side), maybe double tap, at some point try for accuracy, and that's about it. I have fun, but I suspect I'm not really improving much or working towards any appreciable goal. I don't even know if I even have a goal in mind when I shoot.

So what do you do when you practice? What goals are you working toward when you go to the range? What could I be doing to get better? What does it even mean to get better anyway?

:popcorn:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have never praticed much with a pistol, thats why im horible with one. indygunworks came down to shoot some rifle this summer and since i knew he worked alot of pistol stuff i got my sig out and ask him to give me some pointers. i found out i was standing wrong and holding the gun wrong. when would follow his instruction i did noticably better but old habits are hard to break so i had alot of bad shots that day.

since then ive praticed a little more and did some drills he showed like shooting while i walk (simulate moving to cover) and shot while leaning (simulate leaning out of cover) im still horible but the walking while shooting and leaning and grip and stance have helped

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When I go the range, I basically just load up the mag, throw some lead downrange, pat myself on the back for hitting the paper, and repeat. I'll shoot one-handed (strong and weak side), maybe double tap, at some point try for accuracy, and that's about it. I have fun, but I suspect I'm not really improving much or working towards any appreciable goal. I don't even know if I even have a goal in mind when I shoot.
    :popcorn:

Have you ever taken any formal training? If not, you should. You can take the drills and techniques from that training and practice them at the range.

So what do you do when you practice? What goals are you working toward when you go to the range? What could I be doing to get better? What does it even mean to get better anyway?

What are your goals? Marksmanship? Shooting games (like USPSA or IDPA)? Self-defense? They all have different training and different drills. Training for one can sometimes hurt your performance in another.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Practice

With my wife we just do familiarization a couple of times a year with the glock 19 and 870. We do basic loading and target practice and go through the malfunction drills.

When it is just me I still do target practice and malfunction drills but I like to practice firing from different positions, shooting off hand and sometimes I just like to go for a walk in the woods and plink away.

I am fortunate to have access to some ground where there are several old spoil banks that make perfect backstops, I can walk in and have lots of safe shots to my left and then fire to the right walking out.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Better...

... than the last time. I've been shooting(mainly handguns) 40 +years and I still learn a thing or two as I get older. Any training or competition will make you better. When I go to a range where I can draw and fire @3-7 yds cold (first shots) with my carry loads until empty. A timer would be good. Then I shoot some groups from low ready or draw 1shot at a time. Then double taps from low ready, or draw if allowed. I have a DA/SA auto so I decock every time. If your a 1911 shooter then work the safety. I also do some mal-function clearance drills while changing mags. If you have 5 mags you put an empty case somewhere different in each mag. Just put 4 live rds in each mag. Now load and make ready, fire at a target until the gun jams. Tap, rack fire, slide locks back, change mag from your pouch, repeat until all mags have been used.THEN act like you put in a mag and drop the slide so BG's think you're loaded. Now you have only used 20rds., they should be ON target. AND you have done 5 mal. function drills and 4 mag changes from slide lock.

Last edited:

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    If you are shooting a semi auto pistol you should try to find IDPA shooting in your area. Go to a shoot as a visitor and just watch. You can also look on youtube for IDPA. Its tactical action shooting. You get to practice drawing from your holster, while wearing a concealment garment, reloading while shooting a course of fire, shooting from behind cover, around walls, strong hand only, weak hand only, while moving and at moving targets. A little bit of everything. Its a hoot. Give it a try.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You actually carry a gun in public and have to ask this question from strangers who don't even have clue what weapon you are talking about?:rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I do the same thing fairly often when I go to the range. It's therapeutic. Makes me feel better.

I also do some drills that I have learned, but it's hard to do any kind of "training" at many of the regular shooting ranges. They frown on walking while shooting, firing faster than 1 round every 5 seconds, drawing from a holster, etc.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Another thing to do that's fun is to line up some paper plates like a "steel shoot". Again IF you can do it.(allowed by the range) Single shots or double taps on each plate left to right or vice versa is good practice for maintaining sight alignment while switching targets.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Getting better with regard to handguns

Getting better can and does mean many things:
    a) Becoming more accurate
    b) Shooting faster
    c) drawing from the holster perhaps from cover, and perhaps not
    d) gun handling skills that that are safe and efficient
    e) clearing malfunctions
    f) reloading

Are your goals for getting better just for plinking, competition, self-defense? These do not have to work against each other. But if you have an emphasis on one over the others what you decide to focus on could vary.

I would not belong to a range with the stipulations discussed previously in this thread. Find a range that allows for draws and for speed shooting.

I would humbly suggest Adaptive Consulting and Training for handgun training.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I would highly suggest you spend some time in our active training forum. We have a bunch of members who are trainers and support this site through advertising. Check out the sticky threads on the top of the training forum and get some coaching!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Getting better can and does mean many things:
    a) Becoming more accurate
    b) Shooting faster
    c) drawing from the holster perhaps from cover, and perhaps not
    d) gun handling skills that that are safe and efficient
    e) clearing malfunctions
    f) reloading

Are your goals for getting better just for plinking, competition, self-defense? These do not have to work against each other. But if you have an emphasis on one over the others what you decide to focus on could vary.

I would not belong to a range with the stipulations discussed previously in this thread. Find a range that allows for draws and for speed shooting.

I would humbly suggest Adaptive Consulting and Training for handgun training.

That is easier said then done in my area. I'm not aware of range that allows such things within a reasonable driving distance. I'm just going to have to locate the nearest one and just go. If I have to drive a ways I'll just pack a lunch and make a day of it. I used to have access to some private land for those purposes, but it is no longer available to me.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    You actually carry a gun in public and have to ask this question from strangers who don't even have clue what weapon you are talking about?:rolleyes:

No, I don't carry a gun in public; I'm not confident enough in my training to do that just yet. And if I were looking for information specific to one firearm I'd post on a forum dedicated to that firearm (who knows, maybe I have!) ;)

I have a little training (an NRA basic pistol class and an afternoon with Jay) but not as much as I'd like. It has been suggested to me that a concealed carry class would be a great idea and I agree; that will probably be my next step in the near future. And there are a lot of classes that the sponsors offer that look awesome. As for my personal goals, I'd guess I'm mostly concerned with self-defense, so something like the IDPA sounds like it would be right up my alley.

A lot of good suggestions so far--keep 'em coming!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Do an internet search for "course of fire". You'll find that there are many different ways to practice.....IF YOUR RANGE WILL ALLOW IT. Don't get in a hurry..... Practice the correct methods slowly, until you don't have to think about them, and speed will come.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    What the above posters mentioned about shooting competitions is definitely worth you looking in to. Not many things in the training world help more than the stress of competition. Of course you must work in to this slowly, it doesn't happen in one afternoon. Remember that being part of a competition doesn't mean you are a big time competitor, you are there to have fun and learn something.

I have found over the years that you meet the nicest people in smoking areas and at shooting events. If you go to a new type shooting event (new to you) I would bet my next paycheck that someone will befriend you and offer to help with questions. When you start out you won't have all the gear the others have, but as long as you are SAFE you will get along with them fine. Ask about the safety rules and range regulations when you first arrive.

I well understand the $$$$ factor when diving in to things like this. I started competing with small bore rifle in Junior High but didn't start handgun until I was in my early 30's. I couldn't afford formal training until I was 44, but I learned A LOT from the fuys and gals I shot with at local competitions.

The cool part is that when you have some new experiences like that; the next time you go out to practice by yourself you will approach it differently. I am a huge proponent of good training and in the last 5-10 years there has been more top quality training available relatively close and the prices aren't too bad at all. It does still cost money, but it is an investment you won't regret, as long as you don't take food out of your kids' mouths to do it.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I try not to load a full mag, I try to only load 3 mags with like 5rounds in each, for me it help with tac reloads, and just not waisting rounds. It also gives me a good idea of where my rounds are hitting, it is easier to track 5 rounds than 15.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I try not to load a full mag, I try to only load 3 mags with like 5rounds in each, for me it help with tac reloads, and just not waisting rounds. It also gives me a good idea of where my rounds are hitting, it is easier to track 5 rounds than 15.

This is gold.

By loading the mags short every time it increases the amount time you get working the action and being familiar with the workings of the pistol you are shooting.
    This also helps with reloading familiarity and speed.

This is the kind of thing that could or will save a life or yours someday.

Repped+

I try to often at the range:

1. Load mags short to increase familiarity
    2. Load only 5-10 rounds and load extra mags to have experience with mag changes.
    3. Vary the range of your target.
    4. Walk or change positions while shooting and reloading.
    5. Shoot with off hand.
    6. Practice clearing intentional malfunctions.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That is easier said then done in my area. I'm not aware of range that allows such things within a reasonable driving distance. I'm just going to have to locate the nearest one and just go. If I have to drive a ways I'll just pack a lunch and make a day of it. I used to have access to some private land for those purposes, but it is no longer available to me.

Not sure what you mean by a reasonable driving distance since that varys greatly from person to person. The Atlanta Conservation Club may be a haul from you, but they allow drawing from the holster and put no limits on speed. It is a great facility, run by great people. They also host a variety of competitions there.

Top Bottom