• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I hear the term "tactical folder" used often. It got me to thinking, exactly what defines a tactical folder? Is there a minimal blade length? How about handle material? What features define a tactical folder from a normal every day folder?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I hear the term "tactical folder" used often. It got me to thinking, exactly what defines a tactical folder? Is there a minimal blade length? How about handle material? What features define a tactical folder from a normal every day folder?

for me it's subdued colors and a no nonsense design. nothing fancy, no wood handles no mosaic pins. just tough materials that will stand up to the worst conditions.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    for me it's subdued colors and a no nonsense design. nothing fancy, no wood handles no mosaic pins. just tough materials that will stand up to the worst conditions.

So you don't think there is a minimal blade length? Could a folder that meets your description but with a blade length of only 2 inches still be considered a tactical folder?

I think one feature that is a must is the ability to open the knife quickly one handed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I prefer those whose name begins with an E.

Emerson Knives

Not a folder, but this one is homeland security;

ESEE-4.jpg

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Chris Costa shaves with it.
    It can make clothes out of dead seals.
    Its color is a commonly used acronym. FDE, ODG, UDE, etc.
    Its cost is calculated by multiplying cost of materials by 1,000,000

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A tactical folder is for me a knife that you can use to defend your life in an emergency situation.
    For me it must have a couple of important things:
    A blade long enough to reach vital organs (more than 3 inches).
    One hand fast opening, I must be able to open it with both hands.
    Handle large enough for a full grip and designed to keep your hand from sliding on the blade during a stabbing motion.
    A solid lock.
    A sharp blade.
    A solid tip on the blade.
    A good pocket clip to be sure that I always have the knife on me and that its always at the same place on my body.

I think its about it, it has nothing to do with the color of the general look of the knife.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wikipedia:

A pocketknife is a folding knife with one or more blades that fit inside the handle that can still fit in a pocket. A larger folding knife or pocket knife is also known as a jackknife or jack-knife. [1][2] Blades can range from 1 cm (1/2 inch) to as much as 30 cm (12 inches) in length, but a more typical blade length is 5 to 15 cm (2 to 6 inches.)[3] Pocketknives are versatile tools, and may be used for anything from opening an envelope, to cutting twine, to slicing an apple or even for self-defense.[4]

:cowbell:

Tactical folding knife
    Buck's lockback knife was originally marketed as a "folding hunting knife" and while it became popular with sportsmen, it also saw use with military personnel as it could perform a variety of tasks. Custom knife makers began making similar knives, in particular was Guatemalan-born knifemaker Bob Terzuola. Terzuola is credited with coining the phrase "Tactical Folder".[12]
    In the 1990s in the United States, as a response to restrictive gun laws, tactical folding knives became popular.[13] The trend began with custom knifemakers such as Bob Terzuola, Michael Walker, Allen Elishewitz, Mel Pardue, Ernest Emerson, Ken Onion, Chris Reeve, Rick Hinderer, Warren Thomas, and Warren Osbourne.[14] These knives were most commonly built as linerlocks, although Osbourne introduced the Axis lock. Blade lengths varied from 3 inches to as long as 12 inches, but the most typical models never exceeded 4 inches in blade length for legal reasons in most US Jurisdictions.[15]
    In response to the demand for these knives, production companies offered mass-produced tactical folding knives. Companies such as Benchmade, Kershaw Knives, Buck Knives, SARGE, Gerber and Spyderco collaborated with tactical knifemakers; in some cases retaining them as full-time designers.[16] Tactical knifemakers such as Ernest Emerson and Chris Reeve went so far as to open their own mass-production factories.
    There has been criticism against the notion of a "Tactical Folding Knife". Students of knife-fighting point out that any locking mechanism can fail and that a folding knife regardless of lock strength can never be as reliable as a fixed-blade combat knife. Lynn Thompson, martial artist and CEO of Cold Steel pointed out in an article in Black Belt magazine that most tactical folding knives are too short to be of use in a knife fight and that even though he manufactures, sells, and carries a tactical folder, it is not ideal for fighting.[17]

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    For me it's a hard use knife that doesn't have "tactical" in it's name. As soon as I see a product labeled "tactical" I start digging deeper and become skeptical, tactical is the new buzz word for advertising and really doesn't tell you anything about the product other than some one somewhere thought it might stand up to hard use in a military or law enforcement environment.... even if the person forming that opinion has no experience in either areas or with said product. They use the "it looks, so it must be" philosophy... as posted before, add $50 to the price paint it black OD or MultiCam and it's instantly "tactical."

To your original question. Knives that I take into "tactical" environments are usually 3-4 inches long, have a secure locking mechanism (there are many, if not a fixed blade) a handle that is easy to grip and hold while wearing gloves, and a good coating that protects against rust and wear.... oh and of course a solid dependable secure sheath / pocket clip.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Definitely. I always look for a folder that I can mount a scope and a bayonet on. Never know what range I might have to engage from, so I keep my options open.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The term tactical fascinates me. Actually how freely and widely used it is. A tactical folder to me is just a tough knife with a 3 - 4 inch blade that can easily be opened one handed.

Thanks for all the input. Now I return to my never ending search for the perfect tactical folder. ;)

Top Bottom