• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I have some tuition reimbursement from work coming soon. Half of it is going into savings and the other half is going towards a .357 revolver. I am going to get into reloading as the cost is less than half of retail. This new acquisition will leave my 9mm Baby Desert Eagle without a purpose. I could reload for it, but there is not enough of a difference in cost to justify bothering with reloading 9mm over 357. The Desert Eagle functions flawlessly and is a joy to shoot, but at this point I cannot afford to shoot it that often and there isn't anything it can do that a .357 can do just as well.

So how do you guys decide to keep a gun and grow your collection, or trade it away?

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I've always found that if I get rid of a gun there is a 50/50 chance that in a few years that I'll wish I hadn't. My advice would be just to keep it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Give away a gun?

I have heard of this concept and I often talk about the day that I might sell or give away a gun. Like the above poster, the few guns that I have traded or sold over the years were always missed. Now I pretty much just keep everything. Like an alcoholic who says he can quit anytime that he wants I tell myself that I could sell my guns if times get tough but I know its just a lie. Keep the baby desert eagle. Start saving for a big gun safe. Order those .9mm dies. Don't kid yourself.

Last edited:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I agree with the above posts. Also, I see 9mm for $10-13.00 a box now. That's still less than reloading .357. So if you can afford to reload and shoot the .357, then you can probably afford to shoot the 9mm. At least occaisonally. Good luck!

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have some tuition reimbursement from work coming soon. Half of it is going into savings and the other half is going towards a .357 revolver. I am going to get into reloading as the cost is less than half of retail. This new acquisition will leave my 9mm Baby Desert Eagle without a purpose. I could reload for it, but there is not enough of a difference in cost to justify bothering with reloading 9mm over 357. The Desert Eagle functions flawlessly and is a joy to shoot, but at this point I cannot afford to shoot it that often and there isn't anything it can do that a .357 can do just as well.

So how do you guys decide to keep a gun and grow your collection, or trade it away?

Also, I would look very hard into the numbers. Reloading used to cost less than half of factory. Nowadays it's getting a bit tougher....the cost of supplies has gone way up. And they can be as scarce as the ammo itself. Add in the time it takes you, it can actually cost you about the same if not more. Reloading is still great from the craftmanship side of it. If you want consistent loads or are trying to match a load/weight combo to your gun, then go nuts. If you are just looking to save some money, you should evaluate if time is money to you. Good luck!

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I went on midway and priced out everything I would need. I looked up some reloading tables to find out what kind of powder to use and how much. It might not be 100 percent accurate, but it should provide a good approximation of cost. I found that with buying new brass and reusing it I could reload .357 for 22 cents a shot with full metal jacket. 9mm was 18 cents a shot that way. I will also be looking in to casting my own bullets as the majority of the cost is in them anyways. As for my time, I am a poor college student and my time is considered cheap. I wanted to get into reloading before I saw the cost savings just to connect more with my hobby.

The Baby Desert Eagle is a lot of fun and there is no pressure to get rid of it, but I might be able to get a used 686 rather than a Taurus Tracker if I trade. Also, I try to buy used and would not lose much if any on getting rid of it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have sold two guns in my life and I regret selling both of them. My plan is to put some thought into what I buy from now on and not ever get rid of anything!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why not buy reloading equipment for the 9mm NOW, and invest in .357 dies AFTER you have a revolver? btw something your 9m can do that a .357 revolver can't, is hold about 15 rounds and reload faster--just in case you wanted to play IPSC or repel a herd of home invaders.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    To answer your original question. If its not collectable and I dont shoot it anymore, I consider selling or trading it. Example, you have a Mossberg 500 but just came upon a good deal on an 870 of the same basic configuration. Send that Mossberg to a new home because your not going to be shooting it anymore! :) If you still enjoy shooting your BDE, keep it! If not, why keep it around?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i have to agree with many of the others and say keep it. i have sold a couple of guns in the past only to put the money towards the purchase of another gun. while i love the guns i used that money for i still miss the ones i sold. like most said you will probably regret it some day. good luck in your decision

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    After mulling it over I think I will try trading it for a level action in 357 or selling it to get a better revolver. I would end up needing to buy another set of dies and molds to reload for a gun that would be an expensive plinker. Like I said its a joy to shoot, but on a college budget I have to focus on what can serve the most uses.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    If you like the gun then definetly keep it as long as possible. And, hopefully that will be forever. Over the years I've sold many firearms for various reasons and regret selling every one of them. Even the ones I didn't really like that much.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I've always found that if I get rid of a gun there is a 50/50 chance that in a few years that I'll wish I hadn't. My advice would be just to keep it.

plusone1.gif

I have had guns stolen that always hurts. I have sold / traded only 3 guns in my life. Of those 3 guns only one do I not regret.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Keep it and add to the collection. Lee dies are cheap. Lee molds are cheap. I understand the same caliber for ammo reasons. But if you can keep it and add that is the way to go. My:twocents:. Also, you can buy loaded ammo and the reload the brass, which doesn't really save money, but adds to the amount of bang:ar15:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    People collect coins, stamps, and almost anything you can think of. There is nothing wrong with keeping firearms you aren't going to use. Like stamps and coins, firearms generally will never lose value unless you bought them during a panic period at inflated prices. Most people I know, myself included who got rid of a firearm at one time generally regret it at a later time.

Just my 2 cents. :)

JCA1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This new acquisition will leave my 9mm Baby Desert Eagle without a purpose.

For me, part of my purpose in owning guns is merely for the pleasure of owning guns. My first purpose is to protect my family, but after that, I just like guns!

Anyway, I say keep it. Unless there is something you don't like about it, you will probably regret getting rid of it.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    If you can afford it keep the Desert Eagle. I have sold or traded well over 100 rirearms in my lifetime and wish I had most of them back. Like an above post I have bought back several models that I had sold in the past. In 1969 I bought a new Ruger carbine for 118 dollars and sold it a few months later. I bought the same model carbine through Gunbroker in 2008 and had to pay 575 dollars for it.

Top Bottom